Why you left Bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:16 am
antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:20 am
Bitwig doesn't support OS-exclusive tech like AU, because it runs on Windows, macOS and Linux.
AU isn't OS dependent, but exclusive to Logic (and that doesn't run on anything but OSX).
Reaper and FLS support AU. Mac only of course. AU is not cross platform.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:19 am
Bitwig doesn't support OS-exclusive tech like AU, because it runs on Windows, macOS and Linux.
AU isn't OS dependent, but exclusive to Logic (and that doesn't run on anything but OSX).
You can run AU only on macOS, in various DAWs. It is OS-exclusive.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I know that it isn't, but, as I said, that's not because it is tied to OS X, but because it's tied to Logic. If Logic would run on another OS, so would AU plugins. Same as with AAX and MAS, both have been Apple only in the beginning and went to Windows - that's why I mentioned them.

AU isn't OS dependent, but exclusive to Logic (and that doesn't run on anything but OSX). But you could use AU plugins everywhere.
Same as PT's AAX or DP's MAS or Reason's RE.
If it where about openness, they'd have to use LADSPA (LV2) - the problém is, that there are almost no LV2 plugins.
You can't use AU outside of macOS. That is what OS-exclusive means. And AU are not exclusive to Logic.
Music tech enthusiast

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:36 am
I know that it isn't, but, as I said, that's not because it is tied to OS X, but because it's tied to Logic. If Logic would run on another OS, so would AU plugins. Same as with AAX and MAS, both have been Apple only in the beginning and went to Windows - that's why I mentioned them.
It's not tied to Logic. As you already said, AU can be hosted in Reaper, FL, Live etc. while running on macOS. It's a OS-exclusive format, not DAW-exclusive like AAX.
Music tech enthusiast

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:36 am I know that it isn't, but, as I said, that's not because it is tied to OS X, but because it's tied to Logic. If Logic would run on another OS, so would AU plugins. Same as with AAX and MAS, both have been Apple only in the beginning and went to Windows - that's why I mentioned them.
AU has native tie ins. Auval is my bane because everything works fine as VST and AAX but oh no! Auval says bla-bla-bla isn't tied right when in fact it doesn't matter for the operation of the plugin. All for the MacOS + Logic ecosystem of course.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 am
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:36 am
It's not tied to Logic. As you already said, AU can be hosted in Reaper, FL, Live etc. while running on macOS. It's a OS-exclusive format, not DAW-exclusive like AAX.
Yes, but that's because Apple that bought Logic quite some time ago, coincidentially also does OSX and therefor included AU in the OS. So if Apple would port Logic to Windows, they'd also port AU to MS' ABI.
But that won't happen, so the point is moot.

MS tried doing the samé with their Direct X plugins (in cooporation with Sonar, IIRC), but because they didn't have something like Logic to get many people to use them, Direct X plugins more or less dissappeared from DAWs.

dupont wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:05 amno insert 4 automation points at selected area (I use this a lot)
Switch to draw tool ('2') and then while holding Alt you'll be drawing a horizontal line the width of the grid
Does not work on OSX !
I select the draw tool (pencil) and whatever command key I select, It draws a suite of points but not only a line according to grid resolution. :?:

dupont wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
dupont wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:05 amno insert 4 automation points at selected area (I use this a lot)
Switch to draw tool ('2') and then while holding Alt you'll be drawing a horizontal line the width of the grid
Does not work on OSX !
I select the draw tool (pencil) and whatever command key I select, It draws a suite of points but not only a line according to grid resolution. :?:
Should work. Hold <alt> and <3> and drag the current automation line up or down.
Btw. '3' is the pencil, not '2'

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:11 pm
dupont wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:26 am
Does not work on OSX !
Should work. Hold <alt> and <3> and drag the current automation line up or down.
Btw. '3' is the pencil, not '2'
I get it thanks, usefull.

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:11 pm Btw. '3' is the pencil, not '2'
Yeah, sorry for the confusion :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:03 pm
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:11 pm Btw. '3' is the pencil, not '2'
Yeah, sorry for the confusion :)
By the way, no alt command on OSX but option.
I had to reassign the tool shortcuts, probably a bug, Bitwig don't recognize "2" mac keyboaad touch.
Now I understand why I could not draw an automation line :D

grubezebro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 pm Now that Ableton adds MPE, piano roll scales and much more does anyone feel encouraged to leave Bitwig for it?
at least BWS taught me how can I transpose other scales back to Cmaj
^^^Cmaj>G#min : i,i,VI,i,III,III,III sus4,III,VI..VI to the end after the transposing (if I can see the chord patterns well), who needs PR scales anyway ... thank you Bitwig :hug: :D
Last edited by xbitz on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

grubezebro wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:41 pm Now that Ableton adds MPE, piano roll scales and much more does anyone feel encouraged to leave Bitwig for it?
Never! :evil:

xbitz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:02 pm at least BWS taught me how can I transpose other scales back to Cmaj

^^^Cmaj>G#min : i,i,VI,i,III,III,III sus4,iii,VI..VI to the end after the transposing (if I can see the chord patterns well), who needs PR scales anyway
Well, no, you didn't get the roman numerals right. And there is no g# in the GIF.
That's C (I), C (I), Amin/C (VI or vi), C (I), Emin/B (III or iii), Emin/B (III or iii), Emin/B sus4 (III sus4 or iii sus4), Emin/B (III or iii), Amin (VI or vi). You can either use all caps (or all lowercase) for all numbers or caps for major and lowercase for minor chords, but not in an arbitrary way as you did.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”