Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NERF_PROTOSS wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:29 pmit's the classic internet-backlash-to-the-annoying-thing being more annoying than what they're reacting to
That made me LOL.

(fairly accurate observation though) :)

As a Reaper user as well as SO4 I feel I'm qualified to give my opinion and the best analogy I can come up with is "man hands". The Seinfeld episode sums up Reaper for me perfectly. Almost everything you could ever want in a daw with tons of flexibility and features and as soon as the creative heat starts to build you glance at the man hands... aaaaaand back to flaccid.

This torturous cycle goes on and on and we tell ourselves to just ignore the windows 95 man hands and enjoy the rest of the package secretly hoping for a transformational man-i-cure that's just around the corner, but it never comes.

I've learned to cope by using another daw as well with a homogeneous interface and I found peace with the universe.

Doc Brown wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:12 pm As a Reaper user as well as SO4 I feel I'm qualified to give my opinion and the best analogy I can come up with is "man hands". The Seinfeld episode sums up Reaper for me perfectly. Almost everything you could ever want in a daw with tons of flexibility and features and as soon as the creative heat starts to build you glance at the man hands... aaaaaand back to flaccid.

This torturous cycle goes on and on and we tell ourselves to just ignore the windows 95 man hands and enjoy the rest of the package secretly hoping for a transformational man-i-cure that's just around the corner, but it never comes.

I've learned to cope by using another daw as well with a homogeneous interface and I found peace with the universe.
That's a perfect analogy :lol:

I love Reaper but can't help feeling a bit uninspired when I use it. I don't feel like that in Ableton even though it has the aesthetics of a sterile office space.

REAPER, it sucks on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin, but it sucks the big one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oM7gY07hp0
REAPER SUX . . . and don't you forget it!!!

Stormin Norman wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 am REAPER, it sucks on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin, but it sucks the big one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oM7gY07hp0
I am fairly sure this guy is Justin Frankel doing one of his strange ideas of marketing, and I would also be fairly sure that it is working too, when a troll tells you something SUX, you generally get interested in said item.
Duh

Thank the heavens for Reaper.

It just runs like it's crash proof.
It laughs at buggy plugins.
The others look fantastic but there comes a point where you need something done before Christmas, and reapers flexibility just leaves the others for dust.... If I find myself looking for something longer than ten seconds, I'll just search and run it from the action list. Boom. Done. Next.

I like the bare bones dialog boxes and UX.
It lets me know that the entire UI is coded down to the metal, using the default structures provided by the OS itself.
That's efficient. When I need to batch convert a gigantic folder, I couldn't give a proverbial what it looks like, I just want my folder converted.

Imho, if you need a good gui to be "inspired" and/or productive, then something is wrong.
That kind of thinking is standard at first, totally normal, but gets old fast when the mud hits the wall, and you need to actually do something.
All the fluffy graphics fly out the window once you hit a certain speed and beyond.

I still use Pro Tools, for the same reasons as everyone else, but reaper is the only DAW that puts a smile on my face.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Melkor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:23 am
Imho, if you need a good gui to be "inspired" and/or productive, then something is wrong.
I don’t understand this, why?
If your music creation tool looks and feels like a german turbine factory from the 90s it just might be a little bit uninspiring. Reaper is a great engineers tool - and it looks just like it. It’s not that good of a tool for a musician, imo.

statue wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:13 pm
If your music creation tool looks and feels like a german turbine factory from the 90s it just might be a little bit uninspiring. Reaper is a great engineers tool - and it looks just like it. It’s not that good of a tool for a musician, imo.
Anybody that disagrees with my preferences is wrong ... :D

I agree with Melkor. people wanting things to look a certain way to be 'inspiring' is alien to me because I make music with my ears. I know how condescending that sounds, but seriously - how do we imagine anything is/was ever done on hardware samplers with tiny LCD screens? or a tracker? or, god forbid, acoustic instruments with the dullest graphical interfaces possible: a row of black and white keys, or a wood panel with a bunch of grimy strings on it, or a piece of stretched out polyester that you smash with a stick...

you don't get inspiration by sitting there looking at those things, you get it by playing and listening. the process is the same in a DAW. if I want visual inspiration I go for a walk, I get away from the screen. the screen will not help you.

NERF_PROTOSS wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:29 pm yeah I see a lot more "lol REAPER users be like 'have you tried REAPER' am I rite??" than I see actual REAPER zealotry

it's the classic internet-backlash-to-the-annoying-thing being more annoying than what they're reacting to
You just missed the best times here, that's all.

lol I was there. It was basically a bunch of people excited about reaper who left other DAWs and there was a huge backlash.

About the GUI and workflow, I do find myself wanting features from other DAWS and love the simplicity of FLstudio, for instance - but overall, Reaper is a winner for me.

if I WERE To leave it, it would be for FLstudio's smooth as f**k GUI and midi workflow.

Windows DAW's rating
100 being the best in my opinion
Each DAW plus or minus 3 points

95 Reaper
95 Cubase
94 Studio One
94 Cakewalk
93 Samplitude
93 FL Sudio
93 Bitwig,
92 Mulab
91 Mixmaster
Note: The top DAW's have ARA integration.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

statue wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:13 pm
I derive a great deal of inspiration from a 90's style
german turbine factory...

Especially if it is powered by alternative energy...

It would be efficient and productive...

I guess that's why I prefer Reaper to any other DAW...

It is a model of unequaled efficiency and productivity in my musical world :wink:
No auto tune...

The PDC is surprisingly ineffectual. Try bypassing/unbypassing Waves AR TG Mastering

NERF_PROTOSS wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 pm I agree with Melkor. people wanting things to look a certain way to be 'inspiring' is alien to me because I make music with my ears. I know how condescending that sounds, but seriously - how do we imagine anything is/was ever done on hardware samplers with tiny LCD screens? or a tracker? or, god forbid, acoustic instruments with the dullest graphical interfaces possible: a row of black and white keys, or a wood panel with a bunch of grimy strings on it, or a piece of stretched out polyester that you smash with a stick...

you don't get inspiration by sitting there looking at those things, you get it by playing and listening. the process is the same in a DAW. if I want visual inspiration I go for a walk, I get away from the screen. the screen will not help you.
:tu: :clap:

These lines are classic...and very true...

"or, god forbid, acoustic instruments with the dullest graphical interfaces possible: a row of black and white keys, or a wood panel with a bunch of grimy strings on it, or a piece of stretched out polyester that you smash with a stick..."
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”