Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:06 pm I think I've found a bug.
Interesting! Sound like after 1st pass it doesn't update the midi somehow? Have you tried disabling (or enabling if it's off) note chase? Can you try if arming the track changes anything, so that it's taken out from buffered processing?

I'll test it later, too.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:06 pm I think I've found a bug. I've opened a ticket, but I wanna check with you guys too. If you add an arpeggiator to an instrument track, set a loop of 4 bars and add an event that starts at bar 2, then play it from bar 3, when the playback loops it won't play the event from bar 2 to bar 3, only from where you started with the playhead.

Take this example:
Untitled.png

If you play from bar 30, the next time the playhead gets to the beginning of the loop (bar 2), until bar 30 it won't play anything, although it should play from bar 10. If you start the playback from bar 21, it won't play until bar 21. To be able to play all those events, you have to play from bar 10 in this example.

I've tried this with different synths - Serum, bx_oberhausen even with Presence and this can be replicated with all these, every single time.
I've talked to Support about that issue with the NoteFX Arpeggiator quite some time ago. I really think it's about time they fixed it. Here's hoping your Support ticket jogs their memory.

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm
Interesting! Sound like after 1st pass it doesn't update the midi somehow? Have you tried disabling (or enabling if it's off) note chase? Can you try if arming the track changes anything, so that it's taken out from buffered processing?

I'll test it later, too.
I've tried disabling note chase, no change. Track gets armed by default, I tried unarming it and still same thing.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:42 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:28 pm

I'll test it later, too.
I've tried disabling note chase, no change. Track gets armed by default, I tried unarming it and still same thing.
Well, then file a bug report.
Music tech enthusiast

Already filed. I just wanted to know if you guys experience the same issue, if it's a general issue or it's only on my end.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 amAlready filed. I just wanted to know if you guys experience the same issue, if it's a general issue or it's only on my end.
Ok. I tested it. It appears to "reset" to currently selected pattern with a new note trigger. If you add it when the playhead is in the middle of a long chord it won't adjust immediately, but will do so as soon as new chord is triggered. This ALSO includes returning to the beginning of the clip via loop. So I can't really confirm your observation :(

Can you make a video, perhaps?
Music tech enthusiast

I've made a video showing this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0BDMzmoGM

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:05 pm I've made a video showing this issue.
Are you certain note starts arent extending before the beginning of the clip? That's pretty weird indeed.
Music tech enthusiast

I'm 100% sure and as you can see from bar 30 it starts ok. All those events are exactly the same.

It’s situations like that where you miss having a MIDI event viewer like in Reaper or Cakewalk, they can sometimes shed light on strange note event behaviour.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 am Already filed. I just wanted to know if you guys experience the same issue, if it's a general issue or it's only on my end.
Yes, as I've said before I have experienced it, have talked to support and they did confirm it. I think technically it's a side effect of the Arp Pattern not taking playback into account or there being any kind of retriggering options, as another user correctly points out if you give it enough time or play it back from certain spots it works differently.

Unfortunately just because an issue is confirmed doesn't mean it is at the top of the to-do list. Purely speculating here, but maybe NoteFX are a low priority at the moment or (hopefully) they're going to improve them significantly and figure they'll lump the fixes in with that.

That's something that comes with their push to add any/all requested features. It's great but since they're sort of hopping around and adding features that would appeal to lots of different types of users, that lengthens the process of any one specific area getting super refined (aside from the audio editing and mixing which has been excellent from the jump).

oneway wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:26 pmUnfortunately just because an issue is confirmed doesn't mean it is at the top of the to-do list. Purely speculating here, but maybe NoteFX are a low priority at the moment or (hopefully) they're going to improve them significantly and figure they'll lump the fixes in with that.
Hopefully it's the latter.Nothing wrong with current devices, but just looking at Reason's Players there's so many awesome things that could be implemented! Also Logic-like CC-based LFO & Envelope generators would be sweet :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:27 pm ...Nothing wrong with current devices, but just looking at Reason's Players there's so many awesome things that could be implemented! Also Logic-like CC-based LFO & Envelope generators would be sweet :)
While to be fair, they already raised the macro possibilities of the Music Editor drastically which take over the job of many plugins in certain parts...

Nevertheless it would be nice to see some updates on the Note FX front...

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:27 pm
oneway wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:26 pmUnfortunately just because an issue is confirmed doesn't mean it is at the top of the to-do list. Purely speculating here, but maybe NoteFX are a low priority at the moment or (hopefully) they're going to improve them significantly and figure they'll lump the fixes in with that.
Hopefully it's the latter.Nothing wrong with current devices, but just looking at Reason's Players there's so many awesome things that could be implemented! Also Logic-like CC-based LFO & Envelope generators would be sweet :)
This is where loomer architect really shines as a vst plugin , all the midi mangling tools you ever hoped for .
You can use it as a simple debugger or arp or as complex as you want it to be .
Well worth the investment
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:08 am This is where loomer architect really shines as a vst plugin , all the midi mangling tools you ever hoped for .
You can use it as a simple debugger or arp or as complex as you want it to be .
Well worth the investment
While this not really an option as
- you have to put them on seperate tracks
- you can only route it to one single destination
- you cannot easily bounce the result into a new midi clip as you can with native note fx...

In this regard I think nothing can still beat Bitwig... being able to pick up the midi from anywhere in the project and even from a certain point of a complete signal chain is still a killer feature... with the option to turning this via the DC offset into a kind of Control Voltage even more...
This is something other developers should really borrow this idea!!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”