Presonus Studio One 5.2 vs Cubase 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:05 pm Performance of Studio One and Cubase is about the same here, doing my unscientific comparisons, with Studio One beginning to crackle a bit earlier. Might be due to differences in the dropout protection thingie.
tbh its the same here, Cubase 10.5 is running the same plugins for the same performance hit as S1 Pro is , i'm seeing the same numbers roughly and there's no massive saving, ASIO guard high or low, and the dropout protection (Which I assume is the equivelent) high or low, I don't see any real benefit of either.

In terms of looks, Cubase wins hands down for me

In terms of workflow, I could easily get used to S1 Pro but its nothing remarkably better than Cubase.

I am attracted by the integration of Melodyne, as I feel that would work better than variaudio but then variaudio is improving all the time too.

If I was given a free copy of S1 Pro, i'd probably switch. But to spend money to make the switch when I really don't have any spare, not going to happen.

But I am really glad S1 works on my system now, and i've had a really fun day using it, i'll continue to use the demo until it runs out, and i'm also really happy to find another DAW that I really do like so if Cubase ever gets too annoying or Steiny make a business decision I really dont like, I have a reserve ready to go.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

while i think (i haven't made a full mix in S1 yet) i can do all the mixing in studio one, right now i ll keep the mixing (and audio timing/tuning/pitch correction/harmony) process in cubase 11 pro
Because vari audio 2.0 is much better than melodyn essential (feature wise and of course even with ara i found vari audio integration in cubase better than melodyn in s1) ,
studio one doesn't come with a "vocalign" style feature while cubase has one,
plus stereo combined pan/spectrum analyser/peak meter(which is post fader) don't need to be an insert in cubase,
there's no post fader insert in studio one and i like more how the console is layout in cubase (the send faders are ridiculously small in s1) , i have already told that but the new dynamic eq has a this feature that i found nowhere : multiple sidechain source on different band (but that could be replace with multi insert of dynamic eq).
The two thing that i really find cool in S1 pro for mixing is the virtual knobs that can control more than one parameter (and parameter can be inverted , so can be use to link an input gain with an inverted output gain or the classic filter cutoff and resonance) and grouping momentary action on tracks is two clic faster on S1 (no need to use link and unlink).
The new Export batch is also cool on cubase.
While on the composition/recording process i need really small latency/max polyphony/tight timing (and that's why i choose S1 for that part), when mixing i can rise the buffer to the max add asio guard to the max if needed , or even use cubase off line processing , so even if studio one is better on cpu it has less impact .

Two features for mixing on both that's i would like to see (an oversampling button on insert with different option for rendering) and a view on fx track like ableton live rack fx on the bottom.

Cubase has a cool new feature where it snaps to midi notes when you record. It works for chords too I believe. Does S1 have that now? I own cubase 10.5 and S1 v4. I find the mixing better in Cubase and as soon as the summer sale comes around I will upgrade. The one mixing feature I want is the ability to 'listen' to other channels with my EQ and duck specific frequencies depending on the input. The ability to have 3 mixers on separate windows is win for cubase, but you really need more screen real estate for it to be a major benefit. I also like the fact that cubase has channel strip on every channel by default. Cubase also teased some kind of major overhaul with the automation and VST control, but that didn't happen. The current implementation of VST control in S1 is much better imo.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Studio One is way ahead of Cubase as far as the modern music maker. Presonus have done a better job of adapting, and keeping up with todays user. Studio One has attracted users who come from bad DAW's. So now it's the issue of trying to add this or that because "My daw had this". I think they need to figure out a lane, and stick with it.

wuworld wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:39 am Studio One is way ahead of Cubase as far as the modern music maker. Presonus have done a better job of adapting, and keeping up with todays user. Studio One has attracted users who come from bad DAW's. So now it's the issue of trying to add this or that because "My daw had this". I think they need to figure out a lane, and stick with it.
Thanks for highlighting the reasons why is it "way ahead" :roll:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

kev2525 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 am Cubase has a cool new feature where it snaps to midi notes when you record. It works for chords too I believe. Does S1 have that now?
Studio One has "Input Quantize" which is an option in the record panel. It basically just does real-time quantization as you record MIDI. Is that what you mean?

-Dan
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

danielh02 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am
kev2525 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:16 am Cubase has a cool new feature where it snaps to midi notes when you record. It works for chords too I believe. Does S1 have that now?
Studio One has "Input Quantize" which is an option in the record panel. It basically just does real-time quantization as you record MIDI. Is that what you mean?

-Dan
I think he means scale snapping. In Cubase you have that option now.
Set your scale to F minor for example and whichever keys you press, all you hear and record is F minor scale notes or chords. So it automatically moves all out of scale notes to F minor scale real time.

ozinga wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 am I think he means scale snapping. In Cubase you have that option now.
Set your scale to F minor for example and whichever keys you press, all you hear and record is F minor scale notes or chords. So it automatically moves all out of scale notes to F minor scale real time.
Got it. So S1 has scale snapping when editing MIDI, but not for real-time recording.
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

danielh02 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am
ozinga wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:00 am I think he means scale snapping. In Cubase you have that option now.
Got it. So S1 has scale snapping when editing MIDI, but not for real-time recording.
I believe you can - it's in the Note Editor Inspector.

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I went from S1 to Nuendo. Offline processing (available in Cubase as far as I know also) is a must for me. So, I won't be going back to S1.

Effectsworks wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:48 pm I went from S1 to Nuendo. Offline processing (available in Cubase as far as I know also) is a must for me. So, I won't be going back to S1.
Definitely in Cubase too but only the Pro version.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:48 pm I went from S1 to Nuendo. Offline processing (available in Cubase as far as I know also) is a must for me. So, I won't be going back to S1.
Definitely in Cubase too but only the Pro version.
Cool... Good to know. It's an awesome feature for sound design. :tu:

On studio one you have event fx that you can render or restore (but offline processing is very cool in mixing to save cpu)

rardier wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:24 pm On studio one you have event fx that you can render or restore (but offline processing is very cool in mixing to save cpu)
What is the difference?
Thanks

andypryce wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:45 pm What is the difference?
The name, I think :)

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/E ... x#6.11.2.1
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”