Logic Pro 10.7 Released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

sprnva wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:03 pm They've been busy! But the old plugin UIs still remain. Not a high priority I guess.
Yeah just a few but for me the biggies are Delay designer and ES2 - I was hoping they would have a nice makeover by now

Vocal Transformer and Evoc.
sigh, they're really a sight.
They look more terrible with every iteration somehow.

Ultrabeat and Sculpture at least got @2x graphics, despite the hideous interface

Ploki wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:52 pm Ultrabeat and Sculpture at least got @2x graphics, despite the hideous interface
I'm sure Sculpture will get a new face at some point... not sure about Ultrabeat. Drum Machine Designer has pretty much replaced it. My guess is Ultrabeat will end up as only a legacy device for old projects.

I like the new look better. Not a huge change but nice IMHO. I think they'll reskin the older instruments, etc., but it's likely a low priority. Then again, they may just ditch them at some point. That's kind of Apple's deal.

I must say that the Monterey upgrade in my case is spectacularly unspectacular. My favorite new feature is being able to navigate the entire interface using just the keyboard. Not that I do it much, nor is it as well integrated as in Windows, but at least it's doable when mousing becomes tiring.

I went back to 10.6.3. I'm not going to be using surround, and being able to label rows in the step sequencer is offset by it seeming a bit sluggish in comparison. Whatever. I'm good.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm I went back to 10.6.3. I'm not going to be using surround, and being able to label rows in the step sequencer is offset by it seeming a bit sluggish in comparison. Whatever. I'm good.
What Mac you got?

For me, it is not the ability to label rows, but realtime recording and the ability to convert midi regions to sequencer regions that makes a big difference. That plus being able to select an individual midi controller per rack now means no way I would want to roll back.

Tronam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 pm * The Track Inspector now offers separate MIDI input and output port settings
It's weird how life is, this introduced last year would have had me all in on Logic likely. DP11's upgrades are keeping me there, but I'm definitely really happy to see Logic should be able to setup an MPE instrument, a regular weighted keyboard, and things like Beatstep Pro for sequencing etc. without it bing a total mess. going to be messing with it this afternoon for sure. :)

machinesworking wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:54 pm
Tronam wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 pm * The Track Inspector now offers separate MIDI input and output port settings
It's weird how life is, this introduced last year would have had me all in on Logic likely. DP11's upgrades are keeping me there, but I'm definitely really happy to see Logic should be able to setup an MPE instrument, a regular weighted keyboard, and things like Beatstep Pro for sequencing etc. without it bing a total mess. going to be messing with it this afternoon for sure. :)
10.7 also gave a major update to the Logic Step Sequencer.

Ultrabeat and all of its hideousness should be buried deep within the Legacy graveyard, never to be found again. ES2 though, deserves far better. I still love that ancient softsynth. *sniff*

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm
Bombadil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:31 pm I went back to 10.6.3. I'm not going to be using surround, and being able to label rows in the step sequencer is offset by it seeming a bit sluggish in comparison. Whatever. I'm good.
What Mac you got?

For me, it is not the ability to label rows, but realtime recording and the ability to convert midi regions to sequencer regions that makes a big difference. That plus being able to select an individual midi controller per rack now means no way I would want to roll back.
M1 Mini 16gb/1tb. I can only think of utility for me re: the step sequencer is in terms of a third party drum program, which isn't GM mapped, and is a major headache on the aforementioned sequencer. Pointless, really. Labeling rows would be just what I wanted and it should've been there from the beginning, but v7 is not as efficient as 6.3. I'm staying on Big Sur for now.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:11 pm I like the new look better. Not a huge change but nice IMHO. I think they'll reskin the older instruments, etc., but it's likely a low priority. Then again, they may just ditch them at some point. That's kind of Apple's deal.

I must say that the Monterey upgrade in my case is spectacularly unspectacular. My favorite new feature is being able to navigate the entire interface using just the keyboard. Not that I do it much, nor is it as well integrated as in Windows, but at least it's doable when mousing becomes tiring.
I'm perfectly fine with an unspectacular macOS upgrade. It's when Apple starts swinging for the fences that I start getting concerned. Although, admittedly, Mojave to Monterey was a surprisingly smooth transition for me considering the nearly 4 year gap.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:24 pm 10.7 also gave a major update to the Logic Step Sequencer.
I'll look into that too of course, but I really really hated that Logic only allowed input by channel when looking into it again, it made using Beatstep Pro a total PITA, and impossible with an MPE instrument.

Now the last two hurdles to me would be true PDC and for Logic to get Clips that changed tempo, like DP Clips are tied to the linear track sequencer for the conducting of tempo etc. Also themes, I know there are weird third party options, but even too be able to adjust hue and contrast like in Bitwig would be spectacular.

I have a DAW problem for sure, should never have gone on an MPE search and stuck with Live and DP, or originally jumped to Logic years ago then off. :clown:

Tronam wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:25 pm Ultrabeat and all of its hideousness should be buried deep within the Legacy graveyard, never to be found again.
Why, that thing got so much potential, they really should upgrade it properly, so you can mix samples and synthesis, something that is as capable as Kick 2 and more, not just for kicks, but all kind of drum sounds. Yeah, their new drum plugin kinda goes into that direction, but it’s more like few knobs and limited range of sounds, kinda hitting sweet spot all the way you go for those sounds, reminds me on KickR… where Ultrabeat would really offer tweakers something to work with, more envelopes, oscillators and whatnot, to get really deeper, like Kick 2, where you can get so deep and ugly quickly.

Anyone else also having problems with 10.7 and a Launchpad? My Launchpad Pro MK3 is acting really weird since the update. the lower row (mute, record, solo...) blinking in different colors
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:24 pm
Tronam wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:25 pm Ultrabeat and all of its hideousness should be buried deep within the Legacy graveyard, never to be found again.
Why, that thing got so much potential, they really should upgrade it properly, so you can mix samples and synthesis, something that is as capable as Kick 2 and more, not just for kicks, but all kind of drum sounds. Yeah, their new drum plugin kinda goes into that direction, but it’s more like few knobs and limited range of sounds, kinda hitting sweet spot all the way you go for those sounds, reminds me on KickR… where Ultrabeat would really offer tweakers something to work with, more envelopes, oscillators and whatnot, to get really deeper, like Kick 2, where you can get so deep and ugly quickly.
It just needs a GUI re-design done by a sane person.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”