Using Granular Synthesis/FX in Liveslice

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really dug the granular demos on the site, can someone please explain how to utilize this feature?

Cheers,

lys.//

Set your sample length to one beat and set the number of slices really high.

cheers, thought that would be the case. thats the fundamental principle of granular synthesis.

any tips on creative use of this method in liveslice? i'm surprised it hasn't been explored on this forum..

I'm using the probability parameter a lot to create a more varied patterns (and avoid too high cpu use resulting from very very high polyphony) + randomize the other paraterers.
I'm usually using a lot of tracks or simultanious arrangements to mix different sounds - when I want smooth fades between arrangements I use multiple outputs and an external mixer (and serisously consider adding some kind of crossfading between arrangements)
It's also excellent to use granular synthesis with liveslice running as an effect (recording audio by pressing "effect" this will replace the currently displayed loop with incoming audio (delayed by the duration of one loop)). There's some help in the manual, but some tutorials would definately make it easier to get into.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

how about some good liveslice youtube videos videos like skrasms, very informative based on the fundamentals which helps you do complex stuff on your own.

Yeah videos please............

Youtube is a good idea, I'll give it a go - do you have links to skrasms videos? Are you referring to this guy:
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~afaulsti/skr ... tcher.html
- nice tool btw. gotta try it !

I just did a nice granular pattern, where I used multiple outputs to separate the slices by frequency (I used four stereo outputs) - I used 32 slices, set it to one beat even though it was a four beat loop (to speed it up) and lowered the probability, randomized the pan and put some fx on the different outputs - result: a very nice evolving noise-scape.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

yeah that's the guy, I think all software manufacturers should hire this guy to do their vids lol, he's a natural.
but back to liveslice, I finally have just gotten it and something about it is just not as simple as most slicers, I know this is because it's not just like every other slicer and that's exactly why I bought it.
some videos on the basics along the lines of the flash vids on the site would be great, but keeping everything simple and step by step for the slower of us. I'm the type that after I get the basics down the complex stuff is a breeze. If I was to be specific I would request.

1. how to slice a 4 bar loop and play that in sync with other loops

2. how to slice a drum loop, and then trigger the individual hits and record your own sequence. (the funky drummer) everybody knows it

3. how to use the mangling features in liveslice?

so I'm talking about really basic stuff to get a good foundation with chronological steps so you can go back to the vid and see where you fumbled.

oh i almost forgot, whatever you do please don't use hard grating distorted music, it's so distracting when you're trying to learn something from the vid.

Return to “Livelab.dk”