hear sound but can't record...afterwards

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good morning all,
I have always had a problem with MuLab and in general I do with it but it gets really boring.
When I try to record behind already existing parts on a track, I have the sound but it does not record.
I have to open a new track, record and then paste the recorded part after the others on the original track.
But that does not do it on all tracks.
Example: I can very well record a track, say piano, then add other parts to this track afterwards and everything is ok.
But on another track (not always the same), impossible to record afterwards.
However, when I compare the tracks, everything is the same.
In the modular, everything is the same and also the same in the various menus.
I press record on one track and it works and not on another.
No matter how much I look ... don't understand !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not sure what you mean. Note that MuLab tries to avoid overlaying parts when recording. When a newly recorded part would overlap existing parts, a new sub-track is created for the new recording. But i've a feeling that's not the issue, right? If so please give a simplified example of the issue, maybe using a screen video.

Thank you for your help.
I suspect that my explanations were perhaps not very clear :)
So that's the problem in video.
(I'm sorry, I can't send the video because no video format is accepted as an attachment. I tried to send it in rar but 2.23 Mb is too much !!! So i send more captures maybe more simple)
This is the 1st track at the top: KB 008. I start recording, we see the level meter move, the bar move forward, the recording is well selected but nothing appears when I stop.
Indeed, there should be an additional sub track below but there is nothing.
And the problem is only on this one track.
If I move the track, nothing changes.
I have to open a new track (let's call KB 0008/2) to copy what I will record on it to the original KB 008.
And this is not the first time that this has happened to me. This happens frequently on different songs.
However, this track has nothing special compared to the others, it has no adjustment of plus or minus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

About the video: Upload it to youtube as an "Unlisted" video and copy-paste the link here.

About the issue: You are takling about recording audio, right? Could it be that the recording is too silent? Did you monitor the input level before recording?

Video link:
https://youtu.be/oKQA6W10aR8
There's no gain automation, no mute and the level meters react before (and during) recording.

I double-checked recording audio part after part and it works fine as expected here.
I don't know what you are encountering.

I suggest that you:

* Simplify the project as much as possible while still preserving the issue
* Save that as a separate file so you don't ruin your original project
* Zip that simplified MuProject and send it to Image

I making live impro with internal and external hardware synth .Best way i have found to record is using a sub rack to send sound i want to recorder rack . This way you can chose rack you want to record together or creating overdub or new release. Maybe image will help and give new idea.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Thank you Braserox for your tip, I note.
In fact, in the case of audio, I just have to go to any track, record, and drag it to where I want on the track I want.
This is how I proceed when Mulab suddenly no longer wants to record on a track as I explained.
Well, the mystery thickens:
I summarized the project to an empty audio track. There was nothing left and Mulab continued not to want to record.
Hold on tight, there is an exorcism to perform.
I left the PC on with Mulab open for a while without touching anything at all, so this project was empty and an audio track was empty too.
When I come back, I try again and there, miracle, the software records.
I say to myself: let's be crazy, let's launch the original project.
And here too it records.
I absolutely did not touch anything! There is nothing more or less.
I specify that it is not related to a hypothetical virus because it happens to me regularly but only with MuLab and no other daw.
Why all of a sudden does he no longer want to record on one track when he accepts on the others without there being the slightest difference between them?
I forgot to mention that this also happens with midi.
As the song says: it's a bit of mystery ...

Odd situation indeed.
When the issue happens again then, before quitting MuLab, go to your MuLab User/LogFiles sub-folder and email the most recent log file to Image

Thanks for your gentle and constructive email communication. The issue is that if there are characters in the rack name that are invalid for a file name (eg / \ ? *), then audio recording indeed failed as the file system gets confused by these invalid characters. In the next update MuLab will properly handle that by eliminating any invalid characters in an audio recording file name. So if you have a rack named "Bass*2" the audio recording file name will be "Bass2".

Thank you for your help. At least, we found the source of the problem...while waiting for the fix.
BTW, how do we place a topic as resolved ?

Return to “MUTOOLS”