Recording knob movement on an a midi device (korg electribe r mk II)

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

So I'm pretty new to all this. bear with me, my terminology will definitely be wrong :)

I have a korg electribe r mk II, which I have connected via a dodgy USB midi connector to mulab. I can record the step sequence parts to a track no problems (well, the recording is offset by a few ms but I figure that's because I'm using a dodgy usb to midi connector, am I right?) but what I really want to do is record the position of the knobs or use some kind of automation track to send the knob values via midi

I cant figure out how to do this.

The docs for the electribe say that "NPRN messages are assigned to all knobs and keys of the synthesizer section" and "By using NPRN messages in pattern mode, you can edit the knobs that are active for each part" - but it doesn't say if these NPRN messages are sent when recording.

From what I've read of mutools docs (and they seem pretty light to me, perhaps I'm not looking in the right section because I don't know the terminology?) I should just enable event recording by right clicking the record button and mutools handles the rest. Is that correct? Do I have to setup anything special?

How do I use these "NPRN" messages in mutools?

thank you!!!

NRPN messages are standard MIDI controller messages and can be recorded just like any other MIDI controller like eg. Modulation.
However NRPN are special because it are combined controller messages, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRPN
Besides recording, MuLab does not have specific support for NRPN messages, but you can edit them manually if you want.

thanks for the response!
mutools wrote:NRPN messages are standard MIDI controller messages and can be recorded just like any other MIDI controller like eg. Modulation.
Does this mean if I have my controller setup correctly I should be able to see the recordings in an automation channel or somewhere else?

You should see the NRPN controller events in the Event List Editor. (right-click sequence part -> Edit in Event List)

Because of the encoding used by (N)RPN messages, the MIDI events need to be understood by the target itself -- MuLab does not support the format other than at the raw event level - it won't translate "select parameter high 32, select parameter low 73, set selected parameter value high to 13, set selected parameter low to 124" into anything like "set the LFO rate to 1.37Hz".

Return to “MUTOOLS”