Expanding Master rack

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! I am mastering a project and I have 8 plugins I need to use and there is only 6 slots for the master rack. I know with any other rack you can route the output of it to another rack and expand it that way. How do you expand the master rack though?

Option 1: You can use N master racks and link them to eachother.

Option 2: You can insert a MUX in a master rack and collect several plugins there.

Thanks for your reply! Can you please explain what you mean by N master racks?

N is any number. So for example you can use 2 (master) racks in series which gives you 12 slots for that rack-combi.

You may name "N" to "X" as well ;-)
It means "any number", as a master-rack is nothing special in MuTools. Only one rack addresses to the Master-Output, all other racks may be routed to wherever you want!

Thanks Jo and Nenneb! I get it now ! So pretty much use any rack and route that output to the "master" rack which in turn routes to the audio output.
I do have one last question about this. Does it matter then where the pre post fader switch is in the added rack and the "master" rack?

Every rack is the same, so the pre/post question applies regardless of where a rack's outputs go next. If you put something above "pre/post", the fader etc affect it.

Just to reinforce this -- you can have multiple racks where the output is a hardware audio out (e.g. you have two stereo outs, you can have two separate mixes -- or you can A/B mix to the same stereo out by having two racks routing to the same output and switching which is active). (You can send to multiple racks from one rack, remember, so each of your instrument racks can route on to multiple subsequent mixing stages.)

Thanks Pljones!

The flexibility of this thing is staggering. :clap:

Pijones or someone else: Could you perhaps explain why one would want to do anything post-fader? Pre I get. :lol:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

When using a send to another effect rack, often the send will be put post-fader.

mutools wrote:When using a send to another effect rack, often the send will be put post-fader.
Ah okey, thanks Jo!
Go MuLab!

If you want to send the same (possibly processed) signal to two (or more) different targets for subsequent independent processing, you'd put the send(s) after the fader (I usually work up from the bottom of the rack for these).

You then can adjust the fader (and the mute/solo settings) and all post-fader targets get the same signal.

If you want the fader/mute/solo not to affect the send(s), then you use pre-fader. You might send the "raw" signal to a separate path, for example, before any effects (i.e. working down from the top of the rack).

It's all down to what you're trying to achieve.

(And remember, you can adjust where the pre/post marker sits, just drag it if you need more pre or post space in the one rack.)

This is an insanely good reply. Why not copy it for the manual or include it in the videos (eagerly waiting for more BTW).

Thanks!
Go MuLab!

I think it is already in the docs, see this page:
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... fects.html

Return to “MUTOOLS”