About the next MuLab 9

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thx everyone for your feedback so far!

A subscription model is not on the table.
I don't like subscription models for software.

Offering both the current license model and a free-for-life model theoretically is an option too but it would add complexity to the shop and to the admin and that's an important disadvantage.

One aspect that also plays a role is that if MuTools would also release specific separate synth/effect plugins then it may be odd if they would have a price tag that is higher than MuLab. So there should be a relevant price range below MuLab's price.

Another aspect that also plays a role is that it is possible that MuLab and MUX Plugin would merge into 1, meaning that MuLab would become a plugin too in which you can load your MuProjects, while still also being able to use it as a pure synth and effect plugin like MUX plugin now. So the DAW aspect becomes modular.
Then the higher start price with free updates for life would then be for both MuLab+MuLab Plugin, a bit like the MuLab+MUX bundle now but then also including lifetime free updates.

I do like the current pricing model but as you see there may be reasons to switch to another model.

Anyway it's still an open and undecided question.
There still is time for further thought.

Thanks for sharing your views.

Question to Jo: Is there any campus or site licensing? This might become interesting for me in the near future, as Mulab is a great teaching platform.

I am asking here as this might affect others, too.

Yes there is such an option. Several schools have already taken advantage of it. Please email me about it with the details about the school and the number of computers that would run MuLab Edu.

By the way: also note there now is a free version of MuLab 8. Of course it has limitations, but it's still a very usable version.
See http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... -info.html
MuLab 8 Free currently still is in beta but will be released very soon.

mutools wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 am By the way: also note there now is a free version of MuLab 8. Of course it has limitations, but it's still a very usable version.
See http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... -info.html
MuLab 8 Free currently still is in beta but will be released very soon.
In my special case, the edu requirement may or may not come into discussion until the end of 2020, probably a bit later because of the virus.

The free version of Mulab is, from my point of view, an excellent entry point and a solution totally sufficient for the first year of education in certain domains. However, after that, everybody wants the restrictions to be lifted, especially the no-VST one. The current pricing is very attractive if students want to invest on their own, and I think it would still be with the future models you have in mind.

From the app's underlying philosophy, it is very good for teaching to have a simple entry point, a bit toy-like in a positive way, which one can use to play around and achive good results quickly. A bit later, after opening the hood and looking inside the possibilities of modularity, it becomes clear that Mulab/ MUX is a powerful environment with endless possibilities. I know of no other environment that offers these two perspectives in one product.

Just my 2c on Mulab and its potential in teaching (for adults, in my case).

I think putting MUX and MuLab into one plugin isn't such a bad idea, can't think of any downsides there.

What I feel bad about are these "locked" Muxes where you can't look under the hood and learn how it all works. There aren't too many really comprehensive tutorials around and most of the time I´m more or less successful with trial-and-error. So looking at finished MuX-presets and reverse-engineer them step by step is a good way to learn how it all works. If the Mux is locked (surely there's a reason to lock it) it´s all more like "How did you do this, this sounds great?" and the answer´s like "Move on, it´s top secret, I won´t tell you."

They're not "locked" MUXes at all but modules, just like other modules in MUX... It's just they're really rather complicated :). Jo's said there's change on the way there.

ralfrobert wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am From the app's underlying philosophy, it is very good for teaching to have a simple entry point, a bit toy-like in a positive way, which one can use to play around and achive good results quickly. A bit later, after opening the hood and looking inside the possibilities of modularity, it becomes clear that Mulab/ MUX is a powerful environment with endless possibilities. I know of no other environment that offers these two perspectives in one product.
Just my 2c on Mulab and its potential in teaching (for adults, in my case).
Thank you!
Please spread your positive experiences with MuLab & MUX Modular via your social networks so MuLab & MUX get more known.

shorty wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 am What I feel bad about are these "locked" Muxes where you can't look under the hood and learn how it all works. There aren't too many really comprehensive tutorials around and most of the time I´m more or less successful with trial-and-error. So looking at finished MuX-presets and reverse-engineer them step by step is a good way to learn how it all works. If the Mux is locked (surely there's a reason to lock it) it´s all more like "How did you do this, this sounds great?" and the answer´s like "Move on, it´s top secret, I won´t tell you."
About those locked devices like MuSynth etc: It's not top secret, that's certainly not the reason for protecting them. The main reason is that the editors of these devices use functionality that is not yet available via the standard MUX front panel system. It's a goal to add that front panel functionality and then open up MuSynth etc so they're plain MUX patches. Just like what happened with MuVerb recently.

runaudio wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:59 pm One of Many i have Made. Before and After.
What you think for mulab 9 ?
Beautiful. However, screen space is valuable, so some people may prefer the smaller variation if there is a choice.

ralfrobert wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:40 pm
runaudio wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:59 pm One of Many i have Made. Before and After.
Beautiful. However, screen space is valuable, so some people may prefer the smaller variation if there is a choice.
Thank you. Some vst's are Bigger!

It's Very good! but with the option for the legacy graphics it would be better yet, or.. resizable maybe..

mutools wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm About those locked devices like MuSynth etc: It's not top secret, that's certainly not the reason for protecting them. The main reason is that the editors of these devices use functionality that is not yet available via the standard MUX front panel system. It's a goal to add that front panel functionality and then open up MuSynth etc so they're plain MUX patches. Just like what happened with MuVerb recently.
that makes sense, thank you :)

Don't want to overwhelm you, but it would be great if you could add multitouch to MuLab. You once said that MuLab has compensated Midi Out (delayed by total project latency + reported audio interface latency) and now with Clips dropping in the near future, it would be the perfect daw to play live using a surface book or another touch capable laptop, if one is using hardware that gets summed in a mixer. Live and Bitwig both require something like a Expert Sleepers USAMO to do this.

mutools wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:09 am One aspect that also plays a role is that if MuTools would also release specific separate synth/effect plugins then it may be odd if they would have a price tag that is higher than MuLab. So there should be a relevant price range below MuLab's price.

Another aspect that also plays a role is that it is possible that MuLab and MUX Plugin would merge into 1, meaning that MuLab would become a plugin too in which you can load your MuProjects, while still also being able to use it as a pure synth and effect plugin like MUX plugin now. So the DAW aspect becomes modular.
Then the higher start price with free updates for life would then be for both MuLab+MuLab Plugin, a bit like the MuLab+MUX bundle now but then also including lifetime free updates.

I do like the current pricing model but as you see there may be reasons to switch to another model.
It's not really clear why you want to change the current pricing model, other than increase pricing, which I think most here would agree with. I've been a customer since M4 and from the beginning, I stated that MuLab is worth more. Perhaps 100 euros for each major release? and 35% for existing customers?

I for one like the idea of combining the MuLab/Mux deal and making MuLab also usable as a VST. But I fear development would slowly veer away from MuLab, as there would be little need to develop it more than it has been. And due to people using other DAW's MuLab would be a lesser needed entity.

I know we've had our ups and downs Jo, but I sincerely hope MuLab continues as a standalone app whatever you decide. It is such a unique piece of software that it would be a major shame to lose another of your amazing efforts as we did with Muzys. I have watched MuLab grow since 2005 with great anticipation. I've stuck with it, even though it lacks what I need (sorry for being pushy, sincerely). You have created a great fan base here and achieved a massively useful product. You have everyone's respect here and even those who didn't like your ways have said as much.

I am lucky to be one of those that briefly got to know a small part of your struggles and hope things aren't getting too much for you. It's all too easy for us lot sitting here to want, want, want without thinking of your predicament. Apologies, if I said things you'd rather I hadn't, delete this post if you prefer. I just think your a great guy who deserves a break and hope this all works out for you...
:) :hug: :tu:

sl23 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:52 pm It's not really clear why you want to change the current pricing model
Pls see previous posts, i've listed several possible reasons.
And i'll also repeat this: Nothing decided, it's just something under evaluation.
But I fear development would slowly veer away from MuLab, as there would be little need to develop it more than it has been. I sincerely hope MuLab continues as a standalone app
Sure!!
It's just about the idea to make MuLab available as both stand-alone and plugin.
So that would extend the possibilities with MuLab!

Return to “MUTOOLS”