Es-9 Noise issue

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello I am an ES-9 user since probably one year or more now, and I always had a little bit of noise coming from the 14 inputs (when monitoring via the DAW or the two jack outputs which I routed to inputs 1 an 2)

It never was annoying and almost inaudible.

But recently I started using a lot of compression on some synths sounds coming from the modular and it amplify that noise a lot when nothing is played. Between notes, when a VCA closed for example.

Distortion tend to amplify it as well.

So I started to ask myself if it was normal ?

It sound like really subtle digital noise, I can send you a recording if you want.

And also, is there a was to have 0 noise coming from the inputs ?

I can tell you that I tried with DC Blocking option and without.

Yes, please attach a WAV file.

It's expected that inputs 1 & 2 are slightly noisier than inputs 3-14.

Ok here's a FM patch into a LPG.
This is normal level you have to increase it to really hear the noise.

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/10d0uQo ... sp=sharing)

I can add that the noise occurs only when something is plugged into the inputs. It does it with all modules, and in all the cases I tried, Doepfer (currently), Rackbrute and Intellijel.

Gangrn wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:59 pm I can add that the noise occurs only when something is plugged into the inputs.
That would suggest that the noise is coming from elsewhere and the ES-9 is faithfully reproducing it.

Do you have switching or linear PSUs? Are you making connections between modular cases?

I don't know what's switching or linear PSUs.

I am currently using a Doepfer A-100 PMS 12 PSU3 and a Doepfer A-100P6 PSU3.
I am making connection between the two cases but there is noise even when I only plug modules from the ES9 case (which is the Doepfer A-100P6 PSU3, but it has been in the A-100 PMS 12 PSU3 as well as in the Rackbrute 6U and the Intellijel case)

Those are all switching PSUs I believe, though the PSU3 has linear regulators as well.

Switching PSUs tend to be noisier. I have no real experience of any of these though to comment on their performance.

If the noise is coming from the case is there a way tu attenuate it ?

I'm not saying it is. (If it were, you might expect to see it even with nothing plugged into the ES-9.)

It would be informative to compare the noise with different modules connected into the ES-9, and also to try removing modules from the case - possibly a particular module is introducing the noise.

The thing is that it seems mare noisy with some modules than other (especially digital ones, which I have a lot).

But there is always a little bit of noisy, and even if it's almost nothing when it get distorted or compressed in the DAW it is part of the sound

Return to “Expert Sleepers”