Granulab

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote:None of my hosts load Granny... Its broken in general on OS X...
I can't create 32-bit for MacOS, Apple removed it from recent Xcode (after I updated with considerable difficulty) :-/

Do you have any 64-bit host?
It works for me in Bitwig 2.3.5 demo, Ableton 9.7 suite, Waveform and Freestyle.

I will look for a way to build 32-bit, that shouldn't be an issue at all, it's quite annoying!

Tj Shredder wrote:GrannyVST.vst is not accepted by Bitwig, can't test it...

Bitwigs comment:

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255
Error messages:

2018-09-04 13:12:48.381 BitwigPluginHost[1188:79351] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST, 262): Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
Referenced from: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST
Reason: image not found
I don't understand this, I'm not using a single image anywhere. Will look around if something is referenced behind my back...
32 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255
Error messages:
Yea, well that's not expected to work. Dam apple no 32-bit build (* mutters grumpily *)
secretkillerofnames wrote:I'm getting this as well in Bitwig 2.4 beta 5 on OSX 10.12.6 :(
Thanks for trying, and reporting, both of you!

How do you get this full error report? Is there a console with internal messages or something?
Would be very useful, but I don't see it in the demo (maybe bcs it works for me in the demo).

I don't have access to beta versions, so can't try that one.

Error messages:
Yea, well that's not expected to work. Dam apple no 32-bit build (* mutters grumpily *)
I think this is just Bitwig trying it with it's bridge before giving up. The first set of errors are trying it as a 64bit VST.
secretkillerofnames wrote:I'm getting this as well in Bitwig 2.4 beta 5 on OSX 10.12.6 :(
Thanks for trying, and reporting, both of you!

How do you get this full error report? Is there a console with internal messages or something?
Would be very useful, but I don't see it in the demo (maybe bcs it works for me in the demo).
Under Settings / Plugins at the bottom of the window there is a button "Show errors..." that brings up a new window with a list of failed plugins. From that window you can "Copy to Clipboard" the error.

secretkillerofnames wrote:
rasmus (with silly nickname that can't be changed) wrote: How do you get this full error report? Is there a console with internal messages or something?
Under Settings / Plugins at the bottom of the window there is a button "Show errors..." that brings up a new window with a list of failed plugins. From that window you can "Copy to Clipboard" the error.
Thanks, that's really useful!

Bitwig 2.4 is released, and Granny works for me, in Demo mode on MacOS 10.15.

Please get the latest Granny version (at least 2018-09-12) if you have the patience to test again.

|¨|_|¨|_| wrote: Thanks, that's really useful!

Bitwig 2.4 is released, and Granny works for me, in Demo mode on MacOS 10.15.

Please get the latest Granny version (at least 2018-09-12) if you have the patience to test again.
Nope... Still not working. I've now tried it in Reaper and Bidule and it's not showing up in those either.
Error message follows...
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst

com.bitwig.flt.library.metadata.reader.exception.CouldNotReadMetadataException: could not read metadata: Could not read VST plug-in metadata
64 bit plugin host reported errors: Pluginhost returned non zero exit code 255
Error messages:

2018-09-13 13:43:15.760 BitwigPluginHost[1134:664138] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST, 262): Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync
Referenced from: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST
2018-09-13 13:43:15.761 BitwigPluginHost[1134:664138] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST, 262): Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/ColorSync

Error messages:

2018-09-13 13:43:15.841 BitwigPluginHost[1135:664188] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: mach-o, but wrong architecture
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: mach-o, but wrong architecture
2018-09-13 13:43:15.842 BitwigPluginHost[1135:664188] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/GrannyVST.vst/Contents/MacOS/GrannyVST, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

secretkillerofnames wrote:
|¨|_|¨|_| wrote: Bitwig 2.4 is released, and Granny works for me, in Demo mode on MacOS 10.15.

Nope... Still not working. I've now tried it in Reaper and Bidule and it's not showing up in those either.
Which OS version are you on?

Others are having same problem with other programs:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/463 ... th-xcode-9

I'll try to fiddle the build flags more tomorrow, now unfortunately i'm told get into pajamas & drink the damn milk 'fore it's cold...

|¨|_|¨|_| wrote:Which OS version are you on?
Actually you told before. Will look into...

I'll try to fiddle the build flags more tomorrow /.../
...or today, whichever comes first.

There's a new MacOS version, supposed to target 10.12.

I can push it further back too, not sure how old is useful (or if it changes anything)

|¨|_|¨|_| wrote:

I can push it further back too, not sure how old is useful (or if it changes anything)
Yes! The very latest upload "GrannyVST_OSX_2018-09-12--2" works!

|¨|_|¨|_| wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:None of my hosts load Granny... Its broken in general on OS X...
I can't create 32-bit for MacOS, Apple removed it from recent Xcode (after I updated with considerable difficulty) :-/

Do you have any 64-bit host?
It works for me in Bitwig 2.3.5 demo, Ableton 9.7 suite, Waveform and Freestyle.

I will look for a way to build 32-bit, that shouldn't be an issue at all, it's quite annoying!
I don‘t touch 32-bit, though Bitwig loads them...
I am on Sierra, and two different Macs reject Granny...
No need for a 32-bit OS X version...
Bitwig 2.4 is out by the way...

Tj Shredder wrote:I am on Sierra, and two different Macs reject Granny...
So this all came down to a really simple flag in Xcode that basically says "screw everybody who is still below (THIS) OS version"
- and by default it's set to the highest available value (10.13).

I've now set it to OS 10.12, will investigate if there's any reason not to take it down a few steps more.
It's not that there's any tech involved created after 2003, it's just that Apple loves to kill backwards compatibility.

|¨|_|¨|_| wrote:

It works now on Sierra, thanks.
I would push it back at least to 10.11 as El Capitan is the new Snow Leopard so to speak. Still maintained and the least problems...
But if you don't use newer parts of the code I would even go back to 10.9. or even 10.6. (that Snow Leopard) though since more than a year I do not recommend it anymore unless its a really old Mac and you still run PPC programms...
I guess you will get an error message in X-Code if that wouldn't work...

Tj Shredder wrote: It works now on Sierra, thanks.
I would push it back at least to 10.11
/.../
But if you don't use newer parts of the code I would even go back to 10.9. or even 10.6.
/.../
Great that it works finally, and thanks for advise!
The lowest I could go is 10.7 (10.6 exists but led to some error I wont' bother with).

Tried a few builds, and tried to find some usage stats - will go for 10.9 until someone finds a another problem.

Using it in Live on OSX 10.11, running nicely so far. Good work man.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”