HELP ... ive been inVECTed !!

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So far things are cool with Orion and Cubase VST 5.1.

I like the colors but sometimes it's difficult to make out labels. I'm trying to get a handle on the FM section, it's kind of rough but maybe that's me. I keep thinking it would be nice for the FM to pass through a subtractive chain with resonant filters that could be modulated with a bypass for those that don't want that kind of sound. OTOH the TG-33 if I remember correctly didn't have a resonant filter.

Also, is there any sample length recommended?

Bruce

bruce ...

thx ... two more hosts ticked off [for now :) ... ]

dont worry about the colours ... the gui is far from final ... its just somewhere to hang the controls at the moment [id rather get a good sound first] ... you reckon the next alpha / first beta should just have a plain background [red and green will feature in the end though ... nice virulent colours eh :D :?: ] :?: ...

yeah ... the fm [strictly speaking pd ... but that might change again ... its been each one at least 3 times so far ... ] is rough ... there will be enveloped filters on them both eventually [not strictly tg33 as you say but ... ] ...

sample length ... depends on what type of sound youre after ... ive run it with real short bass samples right up to 10+ second pad type noises ... otoh ... tris has talked about running whole songs through it and using it kinda like a monster modulation effects box :o :D 8)

... cheers :? rob
Last edited by pHz on Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[me] otoh ... tris has talked about running whole songs through it and using it kinda like a monster modulation effects box :o :D 8)

HEY ... just tried this ... WAYYYYY cool [if a tad weirdy :D ] ... thx tris :) ...

... this is just one instance of inVECTion with just one sustained note and with two long [ie whole song] .wav files loaded and the fm modules set to a high sustain sound ... ooh ... and lots of modulation :D 8) :wink: ...

inVECTion weirdness ...

... back the compiling board now i guess ...

Suggestion, at some point have reusable code to make the synth into a processor. Space Machine has Space Effects, basically the same feature set but used as an effect. Angelina has a VST cousin as well.

Both work great. The only reason I suggest this is potentially as you optimize and add features you will find large sample processing may be a problem. I like the idea and I'm gonna try it out in a few minutes too, but in your shoes I'd gear up for manageable sample lengths and worry more about how filters will interact with samples that aren't quite as broad spectrum as a song.

It's an instrument so I'd go after optimizing filters to work with simpler spectrums. Then kick it up for the effect as there are many processes you can remove and save CPU power.

Keep in mind I'm a novice designer. I do sample and sound work, not synth work, but I've also worked with a lot of people who are good developers. I wouldn't take me too seriously :D.

As for the colors, why not just change the contrast? Darken it up a bit and that ought to work for now.

Bruce

[x_bruce] Keep in mind I'm a novice designer

hey ... me too :D :D :D

hmmmnnn .... inVECTion as an effect :?: 8) :idea:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”