how to do growl voice

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gravehill wrote:
Chase wrote:sub synths are good for meating up the growl
Blasphemer! :tantrum: :nutter: :box: :dog: :uhuhuh:

For the beloved Deicide effect, first growl your vocals in normal death metal way. Then double it screaming. Mix to taste and treat with nice reverb. :D
Fun trivia fact #1: Glen Benton says he growls from the diaphragm and records three vocal tracks: a low, medium, and high scream/growl. He calls that technique (no joke) "The Cobra" :roll: :hihi:

Fun trivia fact #2
He's also a total redneck twat and had it coming when Sickle threw that bottle at his head. :hihi:

politcat wrote:watch it or you'll produce nodules in your vocal chords. really nasty.
Happened to Angela Gossow recently, too. Doesn't sound fun at all.

There is actually a woman who teaches a lot of the metal guys, and she sounds like seven shades of satan when she unleashes, and can do so at will...

I heard her on the radio (Melissa or Melinda something?), and that's obviously no help though... :dog:
____
...™
-----

donkey tugger wrote:You've got to sing right from the back of your throat so it hurts, hard to describe. Smoking a lot helps, bit of distortion always works too!

Did a bit of it in this;

http://pualah.com/07_04_donkeyt_cuntsucker.mp3

Too much and I cough up loads; these proper metel singers must have throats of metel.
that was almost helpful :-o

are you feeling alright ??? :hihi:

Anyone can do a good growl if you:

1. Use a LCD to record the voice (the cheaper the better).

2. Record said voice with the music pitch shifted up a fifth or so

3. Sing a part in the lowest register you can, tracking it through a really deep chorus with a delay time of 80 milliseconds or more.

Pitch shift the whole thing back down to the original speed.

Compress the hell out of it using the most crappy compressor you can find, (or better yet, insert a cheap compressor stomp box in the signal path while redording).

Scoop out the horrible mids you will have created by this time and voila: instant cookie monster.

You don´t really have to scream to do nice growls. Mix your voice with high volume and apply reverb. Practice
[Error: You need to install "this plugin" to show such a cool signature]

I was waiting to see if any professional singers weigh in on this topic. On the off chance that someone is seriously interested in honing their skills, I'd like to offer a few quick suggestions:

1. The posters who said sing from the back of your throat and to beware of developing nodes are spot on. What you're talking about doing will risk damaging your throat AND pissing off your neighbors/roommates.

2. That said, breath control is going to be important for this. Sing standing up and use your diaphragm to do the heavy lifting - not your throat muscles.

3. Use your chest cavity like the body of an acoustic guitar - you'll get your deep resonance from your chest.

4. If you're using your diaphragm for the volume and your chest for the resonance, all your throat muscles have to do is shape the sound. You'll want to get the actual sound coming from as deep in your throat as you can possibly get it if you want that thick, guttural sound.

5. Warn your neighbors and roomies that you're going to be working on some vocal techniques and make sure to buy them a beer or three for putting up with it.

Good luck,

Tio Ed
Austin, Texas
Land O' 10,000 Guitarists
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{<>}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Ed Kliman
Publisher
Texas Music Forge
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{<>}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Return to “Production Techniques”