Who here has any 'formal' music qualifications?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deaf dunderkwac wrote:
jackson wrote:I thought the system was devised in Italy, but I could be wrong... I can't remember them well enough to think of a "royal association" in the title though. I studied in New Zealand.

It's certainly considered the "international" grading system, and just like international sports, culture, and well anything from outside the US, nobody's ever heard of it here. ;)
too many years ago to remember, but I'm thinking I agree with you.
@jackson- did my training at the SF jazz conservatory... curious if it still exists?
Don't know, the only place I can think of is the SF Conservatory of Music, which does jazz among other styles.

jackson wrote:
Don't know, the only place I can think of is the SF Conservatory of Music, which does jazz among other styles.
ya, I'm old...and might have forgotten it's name...

back to sleep now...
for entertaining porpoises only

Ah so quite a few people with qualification here then. :)

I took my grade with RGT (Registry of Guitar Tutors) which i believe is by the London College of Music. Most classical exams are through the ABRSM and then theres the 'classical' music theory done by ABRSM, and popular music theory done by RGT (i think, woops, i dont even know).

WoJ

Kingston wrote:
tee boy wrote:I think it is a bold statement to suggest that classical performers are less equipped to improv (if thats what you're saying ofcourse). Check out Cziffra in this vid :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_id=p ... x6w7148kQC

You'll find that good soloists will be able to impro up there with the best of 'em. Especially those playing polyphonic instruments.

TB
It's not a bold statement at all, merely based on my experience when dealing with purely classical musicians. There are always exceptions to rules, but you merely need to talk to the players of any symphonic orcestra to find out. You'll be very surprised. (I was as well)

This was in fact a bit problem for me when I was still at the uni. Our music department was classical only, and mostly brass players.Of course I tried to get these guys to play horn sections for me. No notes, no players! :x They simply did not understand improvisation, most of them having played actively for more than eight years. :shock:

I also frequented a pub back at my home town where very well respected orhestral musicians hanged out, too.

Same thing with these. At least some of them were experienced enough to understand what it meant, but they had honestly never found the need for it.

I think we are agreeing with one another, but a little at cross purposes.

This little excerpt pretty much somes up my notion of true musicianship:

"One evening, when they were all assembled in the salon, Liszt played one of Chopin's nocturnes, to which he took the liberty of adding some embellishments. Chopin's delicate intellectual face, which still bore the traces of recent illness, looked disturbed; at last he could not control himself any longer, and in that tone of sang froid which he sometimes assumed he said, "I beg you, my dear friend, when you do me the honor of playing my compositions, to play them as they are written or else not at all." "Play it yourself then," said Liszt, rising from the piano, rather piqued. "With pleasure," answered Chopin. . . . Then he began to improvise and played for nearly an hour. And what an improvisation it was! Description would be impossible, for the feelings awakened by Chopin's magic fingers are not transferable into words.

When he left the piano his audience were in tears; Liszt was deeply affected, and said to Chopin, as he embraced him, "Yes, my friend, you were right; works like yours ought not to be meddled with; other people's alterations only spoil them. You are a true poet." "Oh, it is nothing," returned Chopin, gaily, "We each have our own style."

Regardless of style and discipline, it is in the nature of music to improv. And in the classical world it is no less important. I mean, how many classical masters made their names improvising on popular themes of the day? To many to mention I would suspect!

When you talk about 'classical musicians', I am assuming you are talking about orchestral players? Imo, these people are not musicians in the full sense. They add nothing to the music. In essense, they are like the keys on a piano. The conductor, he is the true musician! He is the one who interprets the score and decides what is going to 'said'.

So yes, I agree that they are probably quite a lot of successful classical 'musicians' who cant improv. But I hardly regard them as musicians, more like technicians. Solo performers, composers... anyone who is at the creative end will be able to improvise, be it in a historic or contempary style.

TB

i think Bob Marley said the same thing to Keith Richards about reggae

i did my grades 1-5,7 and 8 in piano over 14 years of piano lessons and my grades 1-3,5 and 7 theory at pretty much the same time. i also did my grade 1-5 on tenor sax and grade 4 clarinet.

unfortunately a bit over a decade later those skills are now quite rusty. glad i did them though.

wrench45us wrote:i think Bob Marley said the same thing to Keith Richards about reggae
Lol, I just see that:

Bob: Nice bifter Keith!

Keith: We each have our style.

TB

Return to “Music Theory”