Development of a waveform generator application

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[Mod edit]

in the straightliner thread, i mentioned that i'm working on a single cycle waveform generator application. i think it's better to have a seperate thread for this so i splitted the relevant posts off to this one.

[end of Mod edit]

Any chance you could make that a 1.5 cycle waveform generator?

ehdyn wrote:Any chance you could make that a 1.5 cycle waveform generator?
huh? what's that?
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Wondering if there would be a use to "fake" it in your code, so that at the waveform generator/controller the user is able to "slide" their single-cycle window(phase of wave) to the right -> (.5 - 1.5) by half a cycle. A sine to cosine, etc... thinking it would be nice for complex waves.

Some nice waves here you might be interested in.
http://www.galbanum.com/

ehdyn wrote:Wondering if there would be a use to "fake" it in your code, so that at the waveform generator/controller the user is able to "slide" their single-cycle window(phase of wave) to the right -> (.5 - 1.5) by half a cycle. A sine to cosine, etc... thinking it would be nice for complex waves.

Some nice waves here you might be interested in.
http://www.galbanum.com/
yes, i'm aware of the galbanum package, alhtough i did not yet check out the waveforms themselves extensively. what i have in mind is to have several design methods for the waveforms:

1. 'draw' waveform by means of breakpoints (as in the modulation generators)
2. specify waveform by a time-domain equation
3. specify a waveform by equations for harmonic amplidtudes and phases
4. (maybe) 'draw' a (magnitude and phase) spectrum by breakpoints
5. cut out some segment of an audio file

then stereoizing via postprocessing:

apply a function to the magnitudes and phases of the harmonics seperately for left and right channel.

well, these are my ideas - none of them implemented yet.

First, congrats for your Straightliner which seems very exciting.
If you would write a waveform generator, would you use PADsynth algorithm?

http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc/ ... Dsynth.htm

Cheers,

Yep to my mind there are two main method and a third which would make this interesting :

1/ the additive one , you generate the sin of each harmonic,sum them, and save the wavetable.This method is cool because you have a total control over the alias problem

2/ drawing : you draw , then you perfom an fft to get coeff of the wavetable and then you can perform some correction if the wavetable is not applicable to audio;finally the last step : an ifft to get to corrected wavetable.

3/additional methods : perform some PM/FM/AM ,distortion, direclty on a set of wavetables to get some interesting wavetables to export

But an app like this need a good interface because finally it's not very complicated (particulary if it's only an additive wavetable maker).

The 3rd method could be justified with a synth such as the cakewalk rapture: You can't make some cool synthesis stuff on the wavetable.the wavetable have to be already well designed.

brahms256 wrote:First, congrats for your Straightliner which seems very exciting.

Cheers,
i've been a big fan of this algorithm for a long time and already explored its possibilities in some depth. but here i was thinking more about a single-cycle waveform generator, which is something different. however, the app could probably be extended to generate samples which must not necesarrily be single cycle. good idea.

HumanBeing2 wrote: 2/ drawing : you draw , then you perfom an fft to get coeff of the wavetable and then you can perform some correction if the wavetable is not applicable to audio;finally the last step : an ifft to get to corrected wavetable.
i actually do not see why i should do fft/ifft here. are you thinking about aliasing? i think, that problem comes only into play when you transpose the wavetable but not when generating it. but for transposition, i use this fft/ifft technique all the time (for generating mip-mapped tables)
3/additional methods : perform some PM/FM/AM ,distortion, direclty on a set of wavetables to get some interesting wavetables to export
aha. yes. interesting ideas.
But an app like this need a good interface because finally it's not very complicated (particulary if it's only an additive wavetable maker).
but when all the proposed methods shall be implemented, it won't be trivial either. and ... why does only a simple app need a good interface? (implying that a complex does not?)

brahms256 wrote:First, congrats for your Straightliner which seems very exciting.

Cheers,
If you didn't know BR-404 has a function to export the waveform generated by padsynth :)

don't know if you'll see this but there ya go anyway!
In the future there will be robots!

Return to “rs-met”