Automating zebra2 semitones in live ?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi , i posted this to the abes support but maybe you know how this goes.

Heres my question :

http://www.vimeo.com/7857515

thanx !

I'm bumping this because I ran across this video on your channel. I don't have a vimeo account, so I thought I'd ask here:
Can't you record it to automation? I understand there seems to be something weird going on with live not really understanding the range, and just using percentages, but if you record it, wouldn't that work? Especially if you midi-learn the parameter to an actual midi-cc, it should give you the full range of 128 to automate, I should hope? I haven't used Live's automation in a while, so I might be wrong, but then someone else should hopefully be able to help you!

You should be using standard envelopes in the Arrangement view to do what you want. If you are using Clip Envelopes, those behave differently:
"Why 'zero percent', not 'minus infinity dB'", I hear you ask? This detail alludes to an important characteristic of Clip Envelopes: they are all (except in the case of MIDI controls) relative values. In the example we've just looked at, the envelope is modulating the Clip's main volume control (a slider in the Sample parameters section) between zero and 100 percent of its set value. As the Clip plays, an orange dot appears next to the volume slider indicating the resultant level at any point in time. Likewise, the Transpose envelope makes relative adjustments to the master Transpose knob in the Sample section.

The relative nature of Clip Envelopes allows them to co-exist with more traditional track/mixer automation. When you create a Clip Envelope for a mixer parameter, it does not conflict with the existing setting or track automation, it is superimposed on it. This means that you can continue to change mixer parameters manually, without them snapping to an absolute position when the Clip plays. As with the Clip Volume example above, whenever a Clip Envelope is affecting a mixer or effect device parameter, the combined results of track automation and Clip Envelope are indicated in orange, as you can see in the screen to the left.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct08/a ... e_1008.htm

also see chapter 19.3 in the Live manual.

You can use clip envelopes. You need to set up the modulation within Zebra controlled by modwheel or knob etc. Then use the clip envelope to control modwheel.

pdxindy wrote:You can use clip envelopes. You need to set up the modulation within Zebra controlled by modwheel or knob etc. Then use the clip envelope to control modwheel.
Well yes, but clip envelopes and real time tweaking is different.

One guy told me that i had to do it in the arrangement view.

In session view it just doesnt work.

It keeps on reseting itself to any crazy value.

giorgiomartini wrote:
pdxindy wrote:You can use clip envelopes. You need to set up the modulation within Zebra controlled by modwheel or knob etc. Then use the clip envelope to control modwheel.
Well yes, but clip envelopes and real time tweaking is different.

One guy told me that i had to do it in the arrangement view.

In session view it just doesnt work.

It keeps on reseting itself to any crazy value.
Ableton automation does not work in Session.

It works in Session if you use midi CC and clip envelopes. Assign the parameter (in your case tune mod) to knob on your controller, or modwheel... then it works... and you would then use the modmapper to make the modwheel to function with discreet steps (+12 semitones, +3 and 0 states). In the final Z2.5 it is easier to do with the modmapper cause you can set # of steps.

Return to “u-he”