Cubase 5.5 font hack

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Opcode, thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify this! I finally got it to work! Sweet!! :hihi:

Do you know by any chance what was the font used in Cubase 4?

Edit: I actually found an "old" screenshot of Cubase 5 (before 5.5) and the font looked like the one in Cubase 4. For some reason MS Sans Serif and other fonts I tried are in bold and that makes them also difficult to read.

Here is how it used to look like:

and here is how it now looks like:

Innervision wrote: Do you know by any chance what was the font used in Cubase 4?

Edit: I actually found an "old" screenshot of Cubase 5 (before 5.5) and the font looked like the one in Cubase 4. For some reason MS Sans Serif and other fonts I tried are in bold and that makes them also difficult to read.
Cubase 4 used "MS Sans Serif" AFAIK.

The easiest way to get rid of the bold font would be to use the "Segoe UI Semibold" font:

The hard way if you really don't want to see any bold fonts (and this is a "real" hack :-o):

In the Cubase 5.51 .exe go to offset
0x00CA6D24 and replace the 12 0xCC bytes with:
8D 54 24 04 66 C7 42 10 90 01 EB 2F

And then at offset
0x00CA6D5B replace 8D 54 24 04 with:
EB C7 90 90

To you programmers out there (opcode, maybe? :)):
What this does is changing the lfWeight of the LOGFONT structure to FW_NORMAL (400) before Cubase calls CreateFontIndirect(),
so no more bold fonts.

This is what it looks like with the "MS Sans Serif" font when hacked as described above:

So there's really no need to hack it any further, IMO.

Regards,
Kris
Last edited by KrisP on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LOL I looked at the screenshots, and I thought the smaller font was the "improved" version since that's the one that would appeal to me. I don't have Cubase 5.5 so I'm still not sure what is what. But given a choice, I'd take the smaller font. The "fat" font has the distorted look that Webpages sometimes have when using a Mac in recent years. The bigger font is not a showstopper, but we all have different eyes. The older I get, I'm certain that I will "see things differently".

KrisP wrote:
Cubase 4 used "MS Sans Serif" AFAIK.

The easiest way to get rid of the bold font would be to use the "Segoe UI Semibold" font:

http://a.imageshack.us/img706/6955/cuba ... mibold.gif

The hard way if you really don't want to see any bold fonts (and this is a "real" hack :-o):

In the Cubase 5.51 .exe go to offset
0x000A6D24 and replace the 12 0xCC bytes with:
8D 54 24 04 66 C7 42 10 90 01 EB 2F

And then at offset
0x000A6D5B replace 8D 54 24 04 with:
EB C7 90 90

To you programmers out there (opcode, maybe? :)):
What this does is changing the lfWeight of the LOGFONT structure to FW_NORMAL (400) before Cubase calls CreateFontIndirect(),
so no more bold fonts.

This is what it looks like with the "MS Sans Serif" font when hacked as described above:

http://a.imageshack.us/img72/9694/cubase55fonthack.gif

So there's really no need to hack it any further, IMO.

Regards,
Kris
Thanks a lot Kris for the heads up. I'm definitely going to give this a shot tomorrow! Can't wait to do so ;)

Oops! I've edited my post to reflect the proper offsets (I wrote 0x000A6D24 and 0x000A6D5B. The real offset are 0x00C6D24 and 0x00CA6D5B). I might be needing glasses soon?

Cheers,
Kris

Hi KrisP, just wondering if these offsets are the same on Cubase 32 and 64bit? I'm on Cubase 64bit so it may change something?

No, the offsets are most definitely not the same for the 64bit version.

I was actually going to have a look at this hack, too, just for fun. Unfortunately, I didn't find the time. W32DASM, which is what I usually use for simple tasks like this, crashed when I tried it on Cubase5.exe yesterday. With IDA, I had found CreateFontIndirect being referenced but it just took too long to complete the full analysis, and before I could actually find out where it's being called, I had to leave home. It's freezed in hibernation right now... :)

Thanks for the heads up opcode. So KrisP were your offsets for the x64 or x32 version? What would be the x64 offsets?

Innervision wrote:Thanks for the heads up opcode. So KrisP were your offsets for the x64 or x32 version? What would be the x64 offsets?
They were for the 32 bit exe - which I should have mentioned but forgot.
Anyway, here's the patch for Cubase 5.51 64 bit:

offset E6E878: change 8x 0xCC to FF 15 5A CC 95 00 EB 3C
-||- E6E8B6: -||- FF15 to EB 0D
-||- E6E8C5 -||- 9x 0xcc to C7 41 10 90 01 00 00 EB AA

Kris.

Thanks KrisP, it worked like a charm!

Just one more question, is it possible to keep the bold for track names?

Of course it's possible. But too much work, I guess; the font hacks were quick and easy.
Maybe Steinberg will implement a way for users to change fonts? The "font bashing" thread over at cubase.net had 12000+ views before it was locked.
I'd rather see them fix some bugs first, though.

Here's an easier way to disable all bold fonts:

Cubase 5.51 32 bit:
Offset 0x00CA6CBA: change 252C010000 to 31C0909090

Cubase 5.51 64 bit:
Offset 0x00E6E804: change BC02 to 9001

Cheers,
Kris.

Cubase 5 vs Cubase 6 Fonts in Win7x64/Clear Type Off.

Hi!The same issue in Cubase 6. Fonts are displayed awfully if Clear Type is off. Somebody knows, how to correct this? Methods which are described above, haven't helped, unfortunately. Windows x64/Cubase 6.0.0x32.
Thank a lot.

Hi has anyone figured out the equivalent hack for cubase 6 yet?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”