MuX for generating control change events?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, I'm messing around with MilesTone VSTi, which has a CC input for an expression parameter.
What I now want to do is a live recording of the mentioned midi events without an external hardware controller. I tried creating a MuX with one knob which should generate events of a specified CC (e.g. "Expression", #11) every time I adjust it, possibly an one-dimensional equivalence to "CC-Control" by TobyBear. But I haven't found an appropriate module in MuLab, and now I'm in a dead-end street. Does anyone have a hint for a midi newb?
JR
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
FEMALE VOICE MuX demo :phones: more by SUNFLOWER LAP ORCHESTRA

As far as I understand it, that's not possible. You can't "record" internal messages being passed around inside MULAB (at this stage - it's a wishlist item, IIRC).

The (awkward) workaround is to generate MIDI events, send them out of MULAB, use a loopback driver and have them come back into MULAB and record that input (taking care not to send them out again! :)).

pljones wrote:The (awkward) workaround is to generate MIDI events, send them out of MULAB, use a loopback driver and have them come back into MULAB and record that input (taking care not to send them out again! :)).
Thank you for your help. The problem is: I don't even know how to generate CC events live by twisting a knob. Do I have to connect a parameter knob with a special module (what module type?) inside a MuX?
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Hi Reincke,

I don't know Milestone, but i checked the webpage and have seen a screenshot.

It appears that you can set expression to react to aftertouch or (selectable) CC messages.
Assuming you have a keyboard with at least a modulation wheel, set expression to CC 1 in Milestone. Setup Milestone just normal in a rack, select it (=focus it) and play. Use the modwheel to add expression. Record your playing and notes and modwheel will be there.
From the screenshot i see that modulation wheel defaults to vibrato. So, set this to any other CC but 1 to avoid vibrato.

If you want to add vibrato later, open your recorded sequence, select Controller modulation wheel instead of note velocity, click inside the recoded modwheel events and press CNTRL-A to select all these events. Open the list editor and you see all all modwheel data selected. Double click one selected event in the "Value 1" column and select, say Breath. Confirm to change all selected events and all modwheel will now be breath controller data.
Change the Expression CC in Milestone from 1 to 2 (=Breath).

Now you can re-assign modwheel to vibrato and record this one.

If your keyboard has 2 controller, just set Milestone Expression and Vibrato to the CCs the controller are sending. If you don't know which CC they send, open any Mulab instrument, right click on any parameter and select Map Midi Controller. Wiggle your controller and watch the "Source" in the controller assignment window.

Sounds all complicated, but once you have done it once, it's a matter of seconds to set things up.

Hope it helps.

Reincke wrote:
pljones wrote:The (awkward) workaround is to generate MIDI events, send them out of MULAB, use a loopback driver and have them come back into MULAB and record that input (taking care not to send them out again! :)).
Thank you for your help. The problem is: I don't even know how to generate CC events live by twisting a knob. Do I have to connect a parameter knob with a special module (what module type?) inside a MuX?
Hummmmm... You're right, there's no modulation to event converter! I'd rather assumed there was, sorry.

It's on the WL.

AndreasD wrote:...
Assuming you have a keyboard ...
Hope it helps.
Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation. A lot of hints I didn't know 'til now.
I found out that the VST "CC-Control" by TobyBear makes my netbook touchpad acting like a hardware controller. (I do not own an external hardware controller, which would be difficult to use sitting in a train cabin...) It will generate CC events for two dimensions (x/y). Integrated inside a Mux with an event monitor this is a handy software controller. Wouldn't it be fine MuLab would have built in something like that?
mutools wrote:It's on the WL.
Hit! :)
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Return to “MUTOOLS”