Making samples sound more 'recorded live' mic/amp/room simulator?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricks and Tips please gentlemen!

Lets say you have a very dry, obviously electronic/processed loop and you want to make it sound 'live' and as though it was recorded in a some type of room or through an amp or with some microphones etc... just to give it a bit of air, space and jazziness!

How would you go about it?

Add a room reverb.

Job done :wink:

And pre it with an Amp sim?

Would that accurately simulate some type of 'micing up/DL'ing'?

4ppleseed wrote:Lets say you have a very dry, obviously electronic/processed loop and you want to make it sound 'live' and as though it was recorded in a some type of room or through an amp or with some microphones etc... just to give it a bit of air, space and jazziness!

I would put the sample through an amp in a room, and record it with a microphone.

... or add an amp sim and some reverb, or maybe a little bitcrushing/distortion (?) ;)

thecontrolcentre wrote:
4ppleseed wrote:Lets say you have a very dry, obviously electronic/processed loop and you want to make it sound 'live' and as though it was recorded in a some type of room or through an amp or with some microphones etc... just to give it a bit of air, space and jazziness!

I would put the sample through an amp in a room, and record it with a microphone.

Or add an amp sim and some reverb ;)

:hihi:

Seriously though, i've not heard an amp sim that convincingly replaces an amp/mic setup.

[quote="thecontrolcentre
Seriously though, i've not heard an amp sim that convincingly replaces an amp/mic setup.[/quote]

Exactly. There are some mic sims out there right? But I can't remember anyone getting overly excited about them.

I use an EQ into a compressor and add resonant frequencies.

I'd go amp sim with a 12" or 15" speaker in the cabinet, then a tight room reverb with lots of early reflections from 15-25ms, 50% wet. If it's just for a break or special "outside the club" effect, use 100% wet with a high pass filter. When the dry drums come back in on top, it gets HUGE!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”