How big in size can be the DC'12 soundware entries?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just like in the topic, how much of data I can upload into kvr servers?

For example, if I am aiming to put ~700mb of samples, will I be able to upload whole content without problems? Or do I have to seek for another online storage?

Thanks in advance!

Same question here : Should the entry be hosted on KVR (and, if so, what is the maximum size, shoult it be split, etc), or should every entrant host his contribution on his own website ?
And... is it allowed to host it both on Kvr and on a personal website ?
Thank you in advance.

The max file size on KVR is 20MB. You can upload elsewhere and set the link in the relevant "URL to Direct Download" fields(s) in the KVR product listing.

yep external links should be ok,
but I think it must be sure that there is enough bandwidth,
when you uplad a file of maybe 500mb,
I think you need to provide enough bandwidth for hmm...
maybe 1000 or 2000 downloads in the first days,
and in total maybe some 10.000 downloads.

I've no idea how many downloads the last DC entries had in the first days
and the whole voting period.
But I guess that now there will be even more downloads, as KVR is grown since then.

Ben might correct me tho ...

This might be a good time to consider hosting a torrent. Free, legal, and easy to set up and use. :-)

Disclaimer for unknowledgeable torrent haters:

Remember, a torrent, is like a gun or the internet or any other tool. Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing depends entirely upon the way it is used.

:-)

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I'd be happy to host the big ones for free! Just PM me :D

revolver_365 wrote:I'd be happy to host the big ones for free! Just PM me :D
great offer,

I hope there will be some big soundware files

For 500MB+ files, PLEASE consider seeding a torrent (or at least permit others to do so), unless you have a host which can serve at least a few dozen concurrent clients at several MB/sec each. If you DO have such a host, please still consider seeding the torrent from said host.

Here is some basic math: 2k downloads for 700MB file is 1.4TB of data. On a gigabit upload (assuming total upload around 100MB/s) that will take around 4 hours at near peak capacity (ofcourse it's unlike all 2k download come at the same time, but you get the idea). That would probably be acceptable (even if the number of downloads ends up a bit higher), but anything slower than gigabit (to the interwebs, not just the nearest switch), and you're asking for frustration.

Obviously that kind of data isn't necessarily a problem for a "real server(tm)", but it's not something you put on the average shared webhost, without getting a bill and/or angry letters afterwards.. ;)

Meanwhile such a download "swarm" isn't usually much of a deal for a torrent. In fact, for a torrent it's a good thing if everyone's downloading at the same time. :)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”