Rename AU plugins - YES it's possible!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was thinking... since (AFAIK) you cannot rename and organize AU plugins in hosts, is it a possibility to make a program that will wrap plugins so that you can rename and organize them to show up in your host how you want? If so, how difficult would it be to make something like this? It would be such a great and much needed utility.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

Are you still using logic? AFAIK what you are requesting is simply not possible with AU.. sorry :(

Yes, but if you think about it, wouldn't a plugin wrapper of some sort work?

it just doesn't exist though..it's impossible.. on mac, even renaming vst plugins does not change their name in the host.. VST! on windows, you can make everything look precisely the way you want..

at least with vst you can organise the folder structure in both OS, but not with AU...

Believe me there has been a lot of requests for this but AFAIK it would involve resource hacking even if a tool did exist.

As you can see for yourself changing the AU's name makes no difference to the host...

and there is no recognised folder structure in AU other than developer name.

This should be done outside AUs, with a possible application. Now, what's the problem? You could always do channel strips and patch presets to organize plug-ins.

I'm not that worried about all the plug-ins in my DAW. I'm more worried about all the possible patch locations each plug-in insists using, making it a pain to install new ones.

The channel strip presets are seemingly a good idea, but there's a problem. If you are working on a project, and you decide to change a virtual instrument, you will lose the effects that you have in that particular channel strip in the project, because the idea would be to save just the instruments in the channel strip preset.

Ok, I just realized that FXpansion's VST-AU Adapter does let you rename plugins, but the problem is that you can only change the plugin name, and not the company name. They all just show up under "VST" for the company. The other problem is the bug where you can't drag the plugin window because it becomes detached from the plugin's interface.

So I guess this confirms that it is possible. I'm really surprised that no one has created a program to organize AU plugins yet. I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing that making a wrapper just to edit the names of AU plugins would be even easier than making a VST to AU wrapper.

I'm sure many people have been wanting the ability to edit and organize their plugins in Logic for a while now. It would be amazing to rename and categorize. You could rename the developer field to a category and have all of your EQs show up in an EQ menu, or VA synths in a VA synth menu while samplers are in another.

Most of all I would love to just format certain names of plugins or company names like "D16 Group Audio Software". The "Audio Software" does not need to be in there. Or U-No-LX V2 Plugin. "Plugin" does not need to be in there. It's redundant an annoying.

How about the Studio Devil stuff... they chose to actually have their company name in both fields sacrificing the "p" at the end of "Virtual Tube Preamp" so that it shows up like "Studio Devil - Studio Devil Virtual Tube Pream". When it would makes a bit more sense to have it display as "Studio Devil - Virtual Studio Preamp" or even "Studio Devil - SD Virtual Tube Preamp". Again, it's just redundant, and it also makes confusing for anyone that has more than one of their products because when they're loaded in channels, all you see is "Studio Devil" in the mixer channels.

Is anyone interested in creating an application that makes this problem go away?
Last edited by djanthonyw on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I've often thought it would be cool to have a synth browser in the same style as the Kontakt library browser or the reason rack artist renditions - a sort of 'visual clue' as to the nature of the synth. It would be an ITB equivalent of looking round a well stocked studio and thinking 'what next?'.

Better use of icons, methinks...
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Why don't you just make channel strips for each plugin? That way you can name and organise them how you like, even create custom setups per plugin if you like. Then you can also access the through the browser rather than the insert menu which is fiddly.

Because making a channel strip for each plugin won't have any use when you have an instrument and custom effects already loaded on the inserts of a channel.

If you decide that you want to keep all of the same effects, but switch to a different VI, then you are going to lose all of the custom effects inserted on that channel. It also doesn't fix this problem:
djanthonyw wrote:it also makes confusing for anyone that has more than one of their products because when they're loaded in channels, all you see is the company name in the mixer channels

Subscribing...I'm new to Mac, this confirms the difference I noticed in the handling between AU and VST folders.

Extreme noob question...is there a compelling reason to use one format (AU/VST) over the other, besides availability / host compatibility? Any reason to install both versions?
Thanks!

I remember reading that there were minor benefits to one format over another, but I don't recall what they are. I just use the AU format since that's what Logic supports. I don't think it's really necessary to install both formats.

I guess this thread should be moved to the DSP and Plug-in Development forum. Could a moderator move it there please?

get Plogue Bidlue and make your own patches and routings of plug ins and you can save them as bidule patches and use them in any host w/o any problems though there may be some automation hiccups depending on complexity of your patches.

djanthonyw wrote:Looks like it's possible! :shock:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-co ... units.html
Awesome, but a lot of work to do for even a modestly sized plugin folder. Plus, I'm sure the changes will be wiped out every time the plugin is updated.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”