Space echo / tape echo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cheers to Numanoid for the Echoflex tip -- gonna try that out tonight.

My favorite free delay so far is Valhalla DSP's FreqEcho. I only wish it would get updated to 64 bit. I also like NastyDLA but again the 64 bit issue.
Doctor kindly tell your wife that
I'm alive, flowers thrive
Realize, realize, realize

In all my years, I've never been able to find a good representation of my RE-201. I'd say the GS-201 and even Guitar Rig's tape echo are great dupes of the 201, but you can't get that awesome sound of the pitch revving up and whirring down when you toggle the footswitch on and off. I even owned the Boss digital reissue briefly, but none do that but the original.

mjudge55 wrote: My favorite free delay so far is Valhalla DSP's FreqEcho. I only wish it would get updated to 64 bit.
I'm working on it. 32/64 bit targets for the update (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX). Currently have 24 compilation errors, which is an improvement on the 550+ I had a few days ago.

Sean Costello

Awesome, thanks for the update Sean!

Spitfire31 wrote:Don't bother with the P&M scam!

Support Guido at GSI instead.

/Joachim
+1

Andywanders wrote:

/Joachim
+1
Scam my ass... :roll:
I got a free plugin just fine by doing the things I was told I had to do, and I never had to purchase anything from P&M. In what way was this a scam? I'm dying to hear this.
[Insert Signature Here]

bailees7irish wrote:
Andywanders wrote:

/Joachim
+1
Scam my ass... :roll:
I got a free plugin just fine by doing the things I was told I had to do, and I never had to purchase anything from P&M. In what way was this a scam? I'm dying to hear this.
I downloaded and installed with no issues, sounds good. Wish folks would spell out what the scam's supposed to be.

Their plug-ins are good. I don't care for their giant bundle idea, but I can't imagine why they are a scam.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Numanoid wrote:P&M Echoflex (based on the Echoplex guitar pedal)

If you like them on Facebook, you can have it for free ;)
if you like them, post on their behalf, open up your profile to their app to take it over, ie., give them the ability to use your profile to post as you publicly, maybe you'll get lucky and the clusterfuck of a process will provide you an opportunity to give them your email for the link, is what actually happens. or doesn't, if you're me. never happened.

http://forums.dontcrack.com/index.php?showtopic=142103

valhallasound wrote:
mjudge55 wrote: My favorite free delay so far is Valhalla DSP's FreqEcho. I only wish it would get updated to 64 bit.
I'm working on it. 32/64 bit targets for the update (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX). Currently have 24 compilation errors, which is an improvement on the 550+ I had a few days ago.

Sean Costello
Great news!! :D

resistent wrote:Appendix: I wonder why there are fantastic close to hardware synths like Diva, UN-O-LX, etc. but no decent emulation of old effect hardware. I think a good sounding filter is hard to programm as well as a good pitchmodulation, or?

Maybe it's again capitalism. A synth sells better than a good filter emu or an bbd or and delay or a really good ringmodulator. The world seems to consists of (old boring subtractiv) Synths, eqs, compressor & channel emulation. A shame.

Edit: Maybe u-he changes again the game. With Sascha Eversmeier there is an outstanding fx-developer on board he has always good ideas an an imagination of how a fx has to work. Wait for the first plugins.
My answer to that would be, in one simple word: UAD.

For a 'good sounding filter', imho you have to look no further than the UAD Moog Multi-Mode Filter. Imho it can easily stand up to the Moog filter in Diva (and indeed, I've used it as such as well, routing Diva's oscillators through it), and its 'drive' may even make it sound better - subjectively, ymmv of course. In fact, that zero-delay feedback thing that contributes to the awesome sound of Diva's filter was implemented in UA's Moog plug-in a couple of years before u-he managed to pull off that trick.

So, imho, it's somewhat the other way around: while there were quite some really good software emulations of (analog) hardware effects, we used to have only a very few really good 'virtual analog' synth plug-ins before u-he "changed the game" with Diva.

Also, UA do not (yet!) have any synth plug-ins, while they are obviously making a lot of money (and have zero piracy, thanks to the custom DSP hardware used, it also effectively works somewhat like a 'dongle' protection). Which does make me doubt that the "capitalism" explanation submitted above is of much relevance here. I would counter that analog hardware gear and software emulations of such analog hardware are in general using sufficiently distinct technologies to warrant the presumption that having some sort of intellectual property on some analog technology (if it has not already expired, e.g. the infamous Moog filter patents) does not put the proprietor in any kind of position to block the development and marketing of any and all software emulations (except for usage of trade marks, but that is completely irrelevant to the sound).

As to pitch modulation, afaik it is usually done with digital means, and such effects could as such be released as software just as well, at least in theory - but in practice, perhaps the "capitalism" explanation does apply here, more generally, as it is still quite exceptional to see software versions of the exact same stuff that is (also) sold as hardware units, no matter if they are in the synth or effect category.

But, also, specifically to pitch shifting, some of the most popular hardware pitch shifting effects were produced by Eventide, and afaik some of its developers are now at SoundToys, and they're currently giving away a 'simple' pitch-shifting plug-in for free, which I bet is a teaser for a forthcoming more extensive pitch-shifting effect (like they did with Little Radiator at SXSW last year).

Bottom line: the quality of both effects and synths in software are continuously improved over time. :)
Last edited by Ch00rD on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bailees7irish wrote:Scam my ass... :roll:
Same here, one Facebook like was all it took to download Granulizer, and no need to use any iLok or anything like that to authorize it...

...but would have appreciate to download just the plugin I selected instead of having to download all plugins (600MB+) and then install just the one I selected from that.

Not everybody has limitless bandwith usage...

backsliders wrote:In all my years, I've never been able to find a good representation of my RE-201. I'd say the GS-201 and even Guitar Rig's tape echo are great dupes of the 201, but you can't get that awesome sound of the pitch revving up and whirring down when you toggle the footswitch on and off. I even owned the Boss digital reissue briefly, but none do that but the original.
This is the one you want
http://www.uaudio.com/store/delay-modul ... re201.html
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

jancivil wrote:if you like them, post on their behalf, open up your profile to their app to take it over, ie., give them the ability to use your profile to post as you publicly, maybe you'll get lucky and the clusterfuck of a process will provide you an opportunity to give them your email for the link, is what actually happens. or doesn't, if you're me. never happened.
But naturally when it comes to Facebook liking, I use a specific Facebook account for that kind of thing.

You can have more than one E-mail you know, and more than one Facebook account too ;)

I'm a happy owner of a RE-301 (found in the garbage) and it's still working (mostly). Many great suggestions here. I have AD:s Dubstation already but that GS-201 Tape Echo seems nice. However, none of these is even close to my machine but that's because it has developed a character of it's own. The tape heads are a bit worn out and the motor doesn't spin as it used to do. I have modded it so I can have the motor turned off when I only need the chorus (fantastic) and the reverb to save both the heads and the tape. BTW, is there a way to capture and save something like IR for echoes?

Return to “Effects”