V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would still be an internal drive that's not using SATA, but older IDE PATA... And those SSDs are really hard to find nowadays...

V-Machine is severely underpowered. That much is known.

In this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWEKR6tEFM
he says that he use a CF card.

He made this interesting comment in the comments field:
"My mail goal was being able to play large samples (>512MB), for example grand pianos. I mainly use the VST "Samplelord", as this is one of few VSTs coping well with the slow CPU ( I also recommend the GSi VB3 organ). I hoped for improved VST performance with more RAM, but this didn't help the slow CPU. The CF-card makes external USBs sticking out on the backside redundant, although loading the vfx-file directly on an USB stick is faster."

From the comment above it seems like he meant that the USB port is faster than his new CF card?
I think upgrading Ram was a good thing he did. There seems to be a magic limit with Samplelord in V-machine. I get clicks with prebuffering 1 sec. But when I set prebuffering to 2 sec the sound is fine.

All the best
gunnare

No, that's not what he was referring to - he was talking about the slowness of uploading VST banks and samples to the internal drive using the VFX software, with a direct USB connection to the computer - as compared to exporting the banks to USB stick and then importing them into the machine, which is much faster. The internal CF/SSD drive is still a faster drive for reading and playing the samples.

Just took my new V machine to band practice last night for the first time, to see how it would perform in a "real" situation. We had it doing all the drum machine parts, the bass, a solo synth, a string pad synth and a sampler - everything we had previously used 4 separate pieces of gear to do. It was great! Didn't even flinch, handled everything true and perfect. We now have 6 rack units of 80's synths, samplers and drum modules that have just been made redundant by something that fits in your pocket. Truly amazing. I'm going to buy another one! Anyone want to buy 6 rack units of 80's synth gear? :lol:

Was it possible for you to install Sampletank XL, Gunnare?
If yes can you explain us how to do?

No luck yet, but I dont give up!

I have deleted the log file, and only have a few instruments in the the instrument folder. But the problem is to register it. I get a register tool error message. IK multimedia help told me to update the authorize manager. I think I must learn how to write vizards in order to succeed. The vizard I am using does not work. I do not use english windows, so the program files folder has a different name on my computer. IK Multimedia has changed the authorize manager after the vizards were written.

All the best
gunnare

I had same bad experience!

Know what would be amazing..If someone could get JamOrigin Midi Guitar to work on the V-Machine

New v-machine user, and I like it, however I couldn't figure out how to use samplelord's disk streaming and there isn't much help on the internet now that the forum is gone. Any hints on this would be really apreciated.

Whenever I set samplelord to stream from disk, it works fine on the computer, but once on the v-machine it keeps loading -trying to- the whole thing to ram. What are the recommended settings for disk streaming on the v-machine?

We hade some private messages, and it seems like he has all the correct settings in Smaplelord: Default streaming buffer, and preload 2 seconds. It seems to me that 2 seconds into Ram is the magical setting, then I can set the latency as low as 64 samples. With 1 second loaded into ram I sometimes get clicks at latency 256, even with smaller samples.

Hm , disk streaming works in V-machine. Could the upgraded RAM memory be the problem?

All the best
gunnare

I want to set the v machine to accept program change for the presets. In the main menu in VFX I see you can set it to "Presets, then patches" but I didn't see any places to set global channel receive for the v machine. I only want the v machine to respond to MIDI channel 8 for preset changes. The incoming MIDI stream has program change messages on other channels for other external instruments (drum machine, lighting controller) and I don't want the v machine to respond to these channels (ch 10 and 16)

I'm using the v machine to play multitimbral setups in a preset, with 3 plugins on 3 different MIDI channels. I don't want these plugins to change their own individual patches - only the whole preset to change to a different preset with a different configuration of plugins. Most of the plugins don't have filter options to switch off their program change messages. I would like the v machine to change the presets, using MIDI channel 8.

Any idea how to do this?

Cheers, Graham

OK so I RTFM a bit better :roll:

"Bank and program change messages will change the active VFX bank and preset if they come in on a channel accepted by the VFX mixer"

So does this mean that I just need to set up a blank mixer channel in each preset, set to MIDI channel 8, so that the mixer will only respond to this channel, for program change? That way, if the mixer sees a slot with channel 8, it will change preset, but not respond to any other channel program change it receives (ch 10 and 16)?

Cheers, Graham

OK solved! Drive was full, I had to free up some space for some sort of cache files Samplelord does for larger kits (a whole conversion of the sample set, so it takes more than twice the space now).

Now it plays great!! Thank you!

Hi there

Could somebody please tell where the wizard files get located after using VFX import function? I bought Sonik Synth 2 which i imported using the VFX import. (yes, there is a wizard file in the database) It's not working i need to locate the wizard file and make the edits needed.

regards,
Jari

My machine has digital noise at -45 db, its driving me nuts! It also increases after some time. It is not USB cable problem, and I use L&R out, it is noticable in high volume situation, and is unacceptable for big stage. Might be power cable (i use usual european 2-way prong instead of supplied 3-way cable). Any remedy?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”