Editing VSTi preset name crashes Tracktion OS X

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've downloaded the demo of Tracktion v1.5.1.4 for OS X (running v10.3.4 on an iBook).

It works well in general but a repeatable problem happens with the LinPlug Free Apha 2.1 and Green Oak Crystal 2.4 VSTi plugins.

If I try and edit a preset name (i.e. just double-click in the name box) it gives the 'spinning beachball of death'.

(Sometimes I can recover by putting the iBook to sleep and back, but it leaves things unstable. What usually happens next is that a small fragment of the VSTi's image is left behind on the screen, then Tracktion goes into another 'spinning beachball' phase, then quits.)

Any ideas?

:help:

Stewart.

I'm not a mac user so I know little to nothing about them, but I do recall there being problems with older versions of the vstgui sdk and the newer mac OS.

If this is what is causing the problem then there is no fix possible from tracktion's POV, the plugs need to be updated to be OSX safe.

That said, I'd have thought the latest FreeAlpha patch would have fixed this, at least... :?
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

StewartM wrote:I've downloaded the demo of Tracktion v1.5.1.4 for OS X (running v10.3.4 on an iBook).

It works well in general but a repeatable problem happens with the LinPlug Free Apha 2.1 and Green Oak Crystal 2.4 VSTi plugins.

If I try and edit a preset name (i.e. just double-click in the name box) it gives the 'spinning beachball of death'.
Specifically, which name box are you double clicking on when this happens?

- Glenn

GlennO wrote:Specifically, which name box are you double clicking on when this happens?
Hi, with Crystal it's the box on the left, half-way down, with the preset name in it. (Initially it says "---Atmosphere---".)

With Free Alpha, it's the box to the bottom-right, underneath the main volume control.

(In both cases, I'm assuming that's where you name your own presets before saving them.)

Stewart.

I saw this bug as well, it makes FreeAlpha unusable. But Crystal populates the patches in Tracktion's menu, so just use that instead (I could be wrong though, I'm on Windows now.)

This problem doesn't appear in other OSX DAWs, Metro, for example. It seems to be present for all the LinPlug VSTis I've tried.

braj wrote:I saw this bug as well, it makes FreeAlpha unusable. But Crystal populates the patches in Tracktion's menu, so just use that instead (I could be wrong though, I'm on Windows now.)
I've just been trying it, and FreeAlpha uses the Tracktion menus (underneath) as well as Crystal. (Hadn't tried those out before - just went straight for the load/name/save areas in the plugins themselves.)

So, looks like it's all working OK - so long as I avoid clicking on the name area on the plugs themselves. (Still a bit of a nasty bug, though, isn't it?)

Thanks,

Stewart.

yeah, this sounds like the bug with an old version of the VST SDK. Nothing I can do to fix it from the host side, I'm afraid - it's up to the plugin writers to rebuild them with the latest VST version.

Fair enough.

Thanks, all.

Stewart.

Same problem with pluggo, for thouse whod like to know! And after booting, one must open the interface of the pluggo vstis, for them to make sound. Otherwise, no sound!

Kim

Return to “Tracktion”