Ambience vs Room algorithms

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the main difference in terms of application/usage for Ambience vs Room algorithms?

Like in what scenario should one used over the other? I know there arent any strict rules just wondering from the experts?

Both seemed designed to emulate tight spaces.

In VintageVerb, the Room algorithms are just a variant of what would be called Room or Chamber in older Lexicons. Less initial diffusion than a Plate. The 480L used a similar algorithm for the Room/Hall stuff. So, the same topology would be called Room, Chamber or Hall in different boxes, or for different presets.

The Ambience algorithm is a specific algorithm, that was originally found on the Lexicon 300, and was later ported to the 480L. It is characterized by randomly time-varying early reflections. Apparently the reflection pattern was originally based on an impulse of Boston Symphony Hall. I don't hear that, personally. My variant of the Ambience algorithm pairs my interpretation of the Lex 300 early reflections, with a late reverb that is more of a Chamber algorithm (the 300/480L Ambience algorithm had a super simple late reverb, that was closer to a stereo echo than a full-fledged reverb).

As far as usage, the Ambience algorithm is good for really short drum rooms, and for things that are more felt than heard. Smooth Plate is also great for that (just throwing this out there). The other algorithms are more for reverbs that are intended to be heard. Ambience can get some weird/cool sounds with large Size settings. I'm pretty sure that the 300/480L Ambience algorithm was used for the vocals at the beginning of this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwI02OHtZTg

Sean Costello

Thanks for that Sean, that was really informative. I think I will stick with using the Ambience algorithm for reverbs meant to "thicken" sounds. Right now I am using the "Ambience" preset itself, would you say that is the most "bread and buttery" of the ambience presets?

Also, a reverb/delay I've been trying to recreate for a long time now is on this track, could you give it a quick listen and let me know your thoughts on this reverb? It's MGMT produced by Dave Fridmann (one of my favorites), it is the Grainiest reverb sound I've ever heard in a good way, it just has such vibe

https://youtu.be/v6HXS11l4sw?t=2m30s

I cued it up right to the part where the verb comes in, its really easy to hear

Return to “Valhalla DSP”