Clean PWM in Bazille

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The manual suggests, for PWM method 1, to use Impulse as the PD waveform with a Square Wave Tapmap. But when I switch the PD waveform to Saw, I get a clean PWM waveform similar to every other synth I've used.

On certain notes and "pulse widths", Impulse seems to split the wave in an odd way, but Saw produces proper results on the entire width and octave range. Am I missing something, or is there some reason why this isn't suggested? I'm not smart enough to be the first person to "discover" this...

Also, switching PD from Saw/Same to Saw/Square gives a pleasing double octave sound.

Interesting! I suspect that the behaviour changed at some revision or other, as Saw would be the obvious choice here, and using Impulse results in "too much" pitch modulation. I'll ask Urs.
BTW Saw/Impulse is also a good combination!

sounds like it's related with an ancient bug I've always kept reporting...

https://app.box.com/s/h1uvsxl9e4m8i1gl72mc
do a chromatic scale with this patch, ...
volume seems normal with lower octave notes... clicks + huge volume drop is present after a certain range of notes

3ee wrote:sounds like it's related with an ancient bug I've always kept reporting...
Yeah, I know... unfortunately fixing it would break an aweful lot of presets. One day I'll figure something out.

A RELATED NOTE: When you change the number of values in a modulation map (as in the "Wobbly Teeth" example on page 53), you sometimes have to "kick-start" / update the map by adjusting any of its values (e.g. the leftmost one).

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Urs wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:05 pm
3ee wrote:sounds like it's related with an ancient bug I've always kept reporting...
Yeah, I know... unfortunately fixing it would break an aweful lot of presets. One day I'll figure something out.
How about adding regular analog style PWM to Bazille?

At the moment I'm stuck trying to decide between buying Bazille and ACE... and while Bazille seems more full featured in regards to a modular synth, ACE seems more analog. Can't one synth have it all?

I'd love for either Bazille to get the analog features of ACE (soft sync, PWM, circut bending, etc.) or for ACE to get the additional modules and effects of Bazille. Any chance of either happening?

Thanks!

We often contemplate taking ACE and Bazille tad further. That is, add more features and take them to the next level, like we for instance did with Hive. However, this year is pretty busy, I can't see me/us doing this anytime soon. Would love to though.

May I ask, what options are you considering ? Bazille with some of Hive 2’s feature would be my ideal synth (these are the two I almost solely use).
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:45 am May I ask, what options are you considering ? Bazille with some of Hive 2’s feature would be my ideal synth (these are the two I almost solely use).
Certainly some West Coast modules (scale based quantizers, turning Bazille's slew limiters into triggered envelopes, adding those to ACE as well). Switchable filter characteristics similar to Hive's engines. More modulation targets all over the place (e.g. envelope times maybe). More module outputs, e.g. individual lanes from Bazille's sequencer which bypass the snapshot dial. That kind of stuff. Don't quote me on that, much of this is just wishful thinking on my side.

Would make an amazing gem of a synth even better ! I believe I've read you here and there mentioning all sorts of triggers as well ?
Anyway, I suppose Z3, Ubhik2 and Hive's upcoming related news are first. Which is cool eh, no rush here :)
.com
3OP

Oh and a last one, as much as I LOVE current Baz's oscillator (I do, a LOT!), is there anything considered in that regard ? I'd love to hear your take on Serge / Buchla ;)
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:32 am Oh and a last one, as much as I LOVE current Baz's oscillator (I do, a LOT!), is there anything considered in that regard ? I'd love to hear your take on Serge / Buchla ;)
For a hardware version we would have to make it a dual one and allow for internal routing of feedback modulations.

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 am We often contemplate taking ACE and Bazille tad further. That is, add more features and take them to the next level, like we for instance did with Hive. However, this year is pretty busy, I can't see me/us doing this anytime soon. Would love to though.
I'd gladly pay more money for a more fully featured version of ACE. Maybe an "ACE Pro", with an upgrade fee, if making it a paid update would help in allocating time to make it happen quicker?

Urs wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:24 am
nilhartman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:32 am Oh and a last one, as much as I LOVE current Baz's oscillator (I do, a LOT!), is there anything considered in that regard ? I'd love to hear your take on Serge / Buchla ;)
For a hardware version we would have to make it a dual one and allow for internal routing of feedback modulations.
And when it comes to software ? ;)
.com
3OP

Return to “u-he”