The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I recently made a nice chunk of money and was thinking to get some vsts.

I still after after these years havent found my number one virus style go to vst synth. All of the vst copies they sounds to lifeless and thin. There is something with the air the virus pushes. Diva is the only vst I know that also pushes air similar to this. Its more physical then the rest of the vsts.

But if Hive was extended with scanable wavetable oscilators that could pretty much be it. I will get it now anyway, just for what it is because it can still improve my workflow for some basic virtual analog sounds. But im goung to make a big wish for an upgrae with wavetables and on top of that 4 lfos would be the icing of the cake. :P

People that get into zebra all say they dont need other synths. This ofc greatly inreases workflow. Im not a zebra/modular type of guy. I prefer more clasic synths. My dream is a vsti that can do for people like me what zebra did for the modular guys.

I would still use analog type synths lke diva, and crisp digital synths like fm, and virtual acoustic stuf. But a Hive with wavetables would replace 4 or 5 other synths for me.

I'm the same haha!! If I had a Rompler with Diva's sound quality, I'd probably be happy haha.

But yeah! Hive really isn't the first choice for Dubstep and digital styles, but it's got a pretty deep sound. Not on par with Diva, which is my go-to synth, but very rich and indie :).

Although it seems things are leaning more towards not doing anything additional with the hexagon or possibly doing away with it entirely, i have an idea that in my opinion would make Hive much more powerful and useful. I don't recall what Image-line's term for it is but i think that little window in Harmor where you can tweak various parts with custom envelope shapes would be awesome. If anyone is unfamiliar with it basically it is automation within the synth. I don't think many synths would be able to touch Hive if something like this was put in. Especially if it could be used on anything that can be modulated. That being said, I really wonder why the depths in the mod matrix are not assignable modulation targets. That would open many more doors with this synth as well.

CRAFTMATIX wrote:That being said, I really wonder why the depths in the mod matrix are not assignable modulation targets. That would open many more doors with this synth as well.
This

In terms of UI redesign: dont drop Hexagon, drop keyboard at the bottom which is useless and doesnt fit my laptop screen

Maykie wrote:In terms of UI redesign: dont drop Hexagon
I like the hexagon, but dropping it will make it easier for them to add more functionality.

Hey Urs, any update on plans for Hive, or have you guys set it aside for now?

Granum wrote:Hey Urs, any update on plans for Hive, or have you guys set it aside for now?
When our UI designer isn't working on Zebra skins, he's working on a new interface for Hive. I won't speculate what else we're going to do, as I'm currently focussed on Zebra development. There might be something in it for Hive as well, but I can't really say at this point.

Apologies, not specifically about the hexagon but this seems to be the most active Hive thread on the subforum!

...Am I right in thinking the Symmetry Pro soundset comes when you install Hive, rather than a third party collection? Not sure how I never noticed before but going through the presets today I noticed every single one of them in the collection is just a saw wave at a slightly different volume, sometimes a different octave but essentially every patch in Symmetry Pro is the same ..... That doesn't seem right ?! Is it just me and my install has gone weird ?!

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh my god I'm an idiot, apologies ! Proper testament to how open and compatible u-he's patch format is, even all the patch descriptions displayed fine in Hive ! Thanks Chapelle :)

Urs wrote:
Granum wrote:Hey Urs, any update on plans for Hive, or have you guys set it aside for now?
When our UI designer isn't working on Zebra skins, he's working on a new interface for Hive. I won't speculate what else we're going to do, as I'm currently focussed on Zebra development. There might be something in it for Hive as well, but I can't really say at this point.
This is very exciting news. So glad to hear that this is still on the board!

Maykie wrote:drop keyboard at the bottom which is useless and doesnt fit my laptop screen
It's not useless, it's great visual feedback for the arpeggiator. It's a whole lot easier to look at the keyboard to make sure I didn't mess up the notes then going through and thinking "okay, nine steps is a... major sixth, so that one's right" for each of them.

An option to hide it would probably be good for space issues, though.

[mod edit: fixed mangled quote]

I do like the x/y idea, and that would be very good for musicians. What I like about Hive is it's fast and easy layout for making music. Something else that's unique that isn't done very much would be great to really SET it apart from the usual suspects. The Normal, Dirty, Clean is really good for music right now and is very unique. If you one could load samples in an oscillator, that would still keep the interface streamlined but add a new option (I don't know how difficult that would be to add), and of course the wavetable option is great. May be asking a lot for those two though! Of course the idea of morphing is great. I don't want to get Massive, Serum, Spirem or Syntlenth1. Of course gas makes it hard not to desire more. But, I want to feel REALLY proud to use Hive, and any new editions that set it more so apart from those other synths I am SO for. Of course I really love the Seq/Arp, and that really kicks Hive over the top compared to the others. Underrated and Underappreciated is Hive. There could be some kind of "Hive" option that really adds a specific character kind of like Normal, Dirty, Clean. It's the thematic approach to U-He's synths that really set them apart from other companies. So, maybe we can add a new option to the three aforementioned options and call it something like "Swarm" or something? Wow, I'm having fun thinking about ideas. I am for a new UI but I really enjoy the way it is now though. So no hurry from me!

Maykie wrote:
CRAFTMATIX wrote:
drop keyboard at the bottom which is useless and doesnt fit my laptop

I'm pretty sure I didn't write that...Lol it fits my screen plus Hive can be re-sized. Now I'm browsing this thread to be sure that an alternate reality version of myself didn't actually post something like that. lol

CRAFTMATIX wrote:
Maykie wrote:
CRAFTMATIX wrote:
drop keyboard at the bottom which is useless and doesnt fit my laptop

I'm pretty sure I didn't write that...Lol it fits my screen plus Hive can be re-sized. Now I'm browsing this thread to be sure that an alternate reality version of myself didn't actually post something like that. lol
fixed

Return to “u-he”