Suggest computer power for Diva

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could anyone please suggest what computer specs would be adequate to run Diva, run it freely without worry? I am shopping for a new computer, and lean to laptops, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks much! (If there's a thread please direct me)

If you want the most cpu power for your'e money then a laptop is not the way to go.
I'd get a proper desktop for the studio and a laptop later for playing live, Intel 7700k is the current top dog for single thread processing which is what you want for audio. Diva runs fine btw on my 4 year old intel 3770k tho.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Ya. if you want processing power, go desktop.

it may be surprising to many that Diva runs quite well on a 2014 $300 Windows tablet. Diva is in Draft mode (the lowest) with one voice stack only, sampling rate is 44.1 kHz, buffer size 512 samples, so not the ideal platform, but just to give an impression that Diva can be played on a very slow CPU if it has 4 cores. And I think that's the point. If the CPU has 4 cores (and many current laptops have 2 cores today), the processing of Diva computation is evenly distributed to each core and makes it possible to have real-time performance.

Check out the recent thread started by Urs Heckmann about the new Ryzen CPU.

An AMD Ryzen processor, apparently: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=480801

Thebest CPU you can afford, intel I7 7700k, the best Ryzen. Since the CPU is the most difficult part to replace if you build your own desktop I woould recommend to get the best you can afford, better save on RAM or hard drives which are more easily upgraded down the line.
dedication to flying

:borg:

Runs fine on my core i7 laptop.

Thanks to all who answered my post! So far, leaning to a small form 5i, 8 ram.

Just for your information, you don't need extra RAM for Diva.

Laptop Xeons coming out this year with E3 1275 v6 will be top DAWg from that refresh.
Any i7 3700/4700/5700/6700/7700 are more than enough.
Multicore for Diva is well done.
Should play nicely with Kontakt too.

I would suggest 16GB RAM anyway. AMD Ryzen offer a lot of bang for the buck.
It will be interesting to see their Server versions of these CPUs. Some Xeons cost over $4,000 per CPU. If the upcoming AMD server CPUs are again priced 50 to 60% lower for the same power in most situations, then a CPU with more than 8 cores can become affordable.
AMD plans 32 core CPUs. Name: Naples.

I run Diva easily with a first gen i7 CPU overclocked to 3.2Ghz. Diva will use around 200MB of RAM not even half a GB. Consider the amount of RAM based on how many sampled instruments you use you can always set the streaming amount if RAM gets low.

MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “u-he”