Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

It has 'a sound', it isn't trying to emulate analogue or anything - it can sound warm (check these out viewtopic.php?t=424785 ) but its more likle NI Razor and a lot of the Waldorf wavetable synths, great bite, movement, evolving pads etc
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

keel wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like Serum?
Yes.
keel wrote:Nothing like Sylenth or Spire.
I don't like Sylenth much, so I count that as a good thing. :hihi:

Serum and Arcsyn have been my two favorite softsynths for a while now.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Serum? Even I want to like it so, so much. To me the sound is just not right. Sounds kinda metallic or something
Well, I do like the sound of Serum. However, it's inherently digital and was not designed to emulate any analog gear or what not. I just don't expect it to do all the things it wasn't meant to do. There are other synths for that purpose - for instance if I want to sound vintage, I pick LuSH-101.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Serum set new standards on so many levels.
A win win for all of us.
:)

keel wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like Serum? Even I want to like it so, so much. To me the sound is just not right. Sounds kinda metallic or something. Something what is annoying me. Nothing like Sylenth or Spire. Cpu usage is insane. Gui and everything is small. I want to like Serum but I just can't. I think that Splice offer is truly awesome. I hope more developers would offer same method.
I love serum. I love sylenth1.
You can download my presets that trying to remake sylenth1 presets in serum.

Check the presets here. And it is free :
www.inhimproduction.com/free-preset.html

Theres a new Leap Into The Void Serum soundset in the pipeline, featuring hypnotic sequences and mind expansions. Please find the announcement thread here.

https://soundcloud.com/leap-into-the-vo ... -your-mind
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Aditya.inHim wrote:I love serum. I love sylenth1.

http://www.inhimproduction.com/free-preset.html
What's the reason those presets don't work in the Serum demo? Is it too old (1.017, 2014)?

You might be using an outdated version of Serum, yes.

Chris-S wrote:
Aditya.inHim wrote:I love serum. I love sylenth1.

http://www.inhimproduction.com/free-preset.html
What's the reason those presets don't work in the Serum demo? Is it too old (1.017, 2014)?
This presets requires latest updated serum..

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have to agree. I've really tried to love Serum (I bought it out of curiosity, you might say), but to my ears, there's something too perfect about the sound character that doesn't light my fire.

I know that the dev was aiming for a super clean sound, free of aliasing and other artifacts. Perhaps the very lack of artifacts is what makes the sound appear 'cold' or 'too clean' to some users, myself included.

Perfection is seldom interesting. A few wrinkles, a birthmark or a traces of a small scar, to me, makes a womans face much more attractive than perfect symmetry and spotless skin.

And when that, perhaps unwanted, perfection is costing you most of your CPU, well - maybe my Serum would be better off with another boyfriend.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

This again.

It's SO FRICKING EASY to make Serum sound dirty. I have no idea what the "it's too clean" brigade is on about.

foosnark wrote:This again.

It's SO FRICKING EASY to make Serum sound dirty. I have no idea what the "it's too clean" brigade is on about.
I agree.

This sounds clean???

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... sive-serum

Spitfire31 wrote:Perfection is seldom interesting. A few wrinkles, a birthmark or a traces of a small scar, to me, makes a womans face much more attractive than perfect symmetry and spotless skin.

/Joachim
Oh Joachim you're so superficial, imperfection runs much more than skin deep.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

I bought Serum after two years of demoing and I'm very glad I deed. It indeed has that cutting, unnatural tone which may work wonders when contrasted by warmer, more alive sounding synths. I'm making psytrance where I often need various robotic textures and werid mechanical/metallic FX and Serum is perfect for that, it is also very good for psytrance basslines.

On the hand, tracks made entirely of Serum often sound not very pleasant, I've heard few of them.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”