Kirnu Cream - Midi out - Ableton 9 issue

Official support for: kirnuarp.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I am putting a post here from the Ableton forum , because maybe someone here can also help with this matter.

I hope I can describe this problem clearly , here goes.
I have Kirnu Cream and a new Midi device called Stochas. Both devices have layers that can be routed to different midi outputs. Thus enabling 2 or more VST synths to be played simultaneously from the midi device.

I am trying to be able to press any note of C2 - C3 and synth 1 plays a sound/s . and then any note from C#3 - C4 and the other synth plays a sound /s. On Stochas it is simultaneous ; so messages from both layers go out on different midi channels at the same time to the 2 synths .

I would expect to only need 1 midi track for the device and one for each of the synths , a total of 3 midi tracks in live.

The following is what I do to set up the midi device and synths:-

In Stochas and Kirnu cream you go to the midi output tab and change the number for each layer. e.g. layer 1 to midi out 1 layer 2 to midi out 2.

I would then expect to be able to put 2 midi tracks into live and place a synth in each .

After that, I'd hope to find in the 'midi from' drop down box (probably the lower of the two) an option to select either output 1 or 2 from that midi device.
HOWEVER
Live only sees the midi device , it doesn't seem to register that the divice is splitting its 2 layers and pointing each to a different midi output.

The cumbersome workaround is to use 2 instances of the midi device and direct each to its own midi track which has a synth on it.

Just for clarity I will explain the usual way to set up midi VSTs so anyone helping me knows I understand that much.

The usual set up is :- make a second midi track for the VST that is producing the audio and locate the midi device/Vst in the 'midi from' boxes in the routing panel then click 'IN' on the monitor and the Midi device is driving the audio vst.

I have emailed the midi device company for Stochas and they say they're looking into this problem, but seeing it happen on Kirnu Cream made me think it may be something more to do with Ableton than the midi device design. Hence this post.

If anyone understands, and can be of help , even if it's to say something like ; "to do that you need use another DAW", please don't hesitate to reply.
Midi routing has always baffled me (been using Ableton since it's early days in 2005).

Many thanks

Return to “Kirnu”