New Release by SzcZ: Cracklefield

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cracklefield Kontakt Nova3

tatanka wrote:- is there a way to set the note range (like it is done on the note map page for the whole composition) for a cursor/track ?
I was kind of working for general opposite effect. But, you can distribute notes with spread option (note map > octaves horizontal (spread)), several top lines will contain only notes from lowest octave in the range and so on, then make a cursor travel only a portion of the field. See attached preset:
divided_field.zip
tatanka wrote:is there a way to change the note pitch of the cursors/tracks by octave (+1/-1), I used the pitch with +12/-12 but if there is a more easy way... ?
No. If you would find it useful, I could extend the range of pitch controller to 24 or 36 semitones.
Musical Gym wrote:He mentioned waveform (Tracktion's Waveform) above.
Oh, thanks, I couldn't understand what 'waveform' means in this context, but I was trying to ignore the problem.
tatanka wrote:I am on windows 7 64 bit, dont know if this matters. Kontakt is actual version. I think I will have to try out in another daw (mulab for example) and see if same thing happens
I doesn't matter. It must be a kind of DAW optimalization, maybe search the options, for something to change in VST handling. Mulab doesn't have this, I'm running Kontakt in Mulab in 7/64, without any problems. On the other hand, just to export MIDI, you can run Kontakt standalone version and drop the clip to a file and then import the midi file to a DAW.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am unable to get multi channel in Reaper - not drag and drop (which I am not so interested in and works fine for separating channels) but playing realtime. All I can get is channel 1 acting as Omni

woggle wrote:All I can get is channel 1 acting as Omni
It's how MIDI out works in Kontakt, in any DAW, I think. It's the sole reason for the whole recorder thing and drag and drop affair to exist - a workaround to be able to export multichannel.
For live setup, one would have to use multiple instances (one for each channel) running the same program, then mute some cursors by setting them to silent mode and synchronize sequencer start in all instances. Possible, but I'm not sure if worth the trouble.

Bummer, but thanks for the info - Drag and drop it is

It's probably way too convoluted idea, but... Reaper has extensive scripting possibilities, I think. If there was a way to script splitting notes to tracks/channels by velocity numbers, then channel number could be encoded to velocity value. Like vel= 1 or 9 or 17... then it's channel 1, vel= 2 or 10 or 18, channel 2 and so on.

aha - I have a feeling I did something like that for an earlier sequencer of yours. I wonder if I kept it?

[Found it under Infundibulum (?) and all I had was a simple multi-instance template.]

Hi Zombie Queen,

thanks a lot for the preset, yes, I think I get what you mean.

I just took the opportunity to just scroll a little threw the prests to get some imagination which just leads to some requests (if just ridiculous please ignore):

- with the preset I think I understand what you mean but I am (very) far of being able to rebuild this for myself at the moment (will take much more intensive study of this complex thing)

- I find many great individually cursor/tracks in the presets (like the one you posted), for me it would really be helpful (dont know if possible at all cause already so complex) if it would be possible to save the individual cursor/tracks and then load them individually in a new preset (like you have an oldtime 8-track recorder). So for example I could take the "bass" on cursor/track one of your preset and load them in my preset. If for example you could put a dropdown list on the "on" as there is on the sound and you can save it there as individual preset/instrument and load it in another preset like you load a sound. This way it would be a breeze to just kind of make individual "template" out of the presets

I am afraid this would be way more complicated but I just have to ask :D

Point is that in this machine a track/cursor is not a separate entity. They share the same environment, field program, note mapping, velocity mapping. A cursor with the same configuration would play something completely different in different field, if it was an ant or drone it would also move differently, not to mention colliding with other cursors. I don't think there would be much use for saving cursors individually. I feel guilty for making it feel complex, maybe don't try to bend it to work like sequencers you're used to. It's not a riddle, the fun here is to set a situation and see how it unfolds.

It can look complex at first since it's so unique, but it becomes easier and more mind-blowing the more you use it.
It's one of my top instruments now.

Hi Zombie Queen,
A cursor with the same configuration would play something completely different in different field, if it was an ant or drone it would also move differently, not to mention colliding with other cursors. I don't think there would be much use for saving cursors individually
O.k., was just an idea
maybe don't try to bend it to work like sequencers you're used to
Maybe you are right but if I dont understand a thing in its complexity I try to approach from something I know :)
the fun here is to set a situation and see how it unfolds
Think I have found myself a way for the moment to kind of combine both by using multis, setting note map to the same and just turn on/off the cursors I like from different presets.

I have just started and I am not sure if it will work harmonically but I will give it a try, with first three instances and first 16 bars it sounds not too bad.
I feel guilty for making it feel complex
Nope, you make a universe of a composing engine as understandable as possible (again: your user guides are absolutely unbelievable good for such complex things) :tu:

Mostly my problem at the moment that I just dont have the energy to take it seriously enough to just intensively study it point by point.

More in a "just fiddling around" mood at the moment, so just my turn :D

tatanka wrote:Mostly my problem at the moment that I just dont have the energy to take it seriously...
I think, not taking it seriously, would be a very good approach.

Full randomizer is your friend, especially if you just want to sit back, relax, and let it do the work for you.

Musical gym:
Full randomizer is your friend, especially if you just want to sit back, relax, and let it do the work for you.
good idea for getting a starting point :tu:

Have not thought it would give such "meaningful" ideas but it does :D

Gives you an idea for a song, at the moment I just try to devellop with midi drag and drop parts and then adding new cursors for the next part.

Yes, using only one cursor on small grid and playing with motion, pitch, shape, etc. settings is good way to learn cursor property/behavior.

playing with electronic drum samples in Cracklefield, with some comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI7iwOkN9uQ

On the side note, I put it together in HitFilm Express... and rendering of this fairly simple subtitled clip took 11 hours. Makes me wonder, if there's a non-Express version of the program, how long would it take to render... :scared:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”