Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

Synthman2000 wrote:Smooth, accurate sounding.. read : non garbled/ non "crapping out", LFO to pitch and self oscillating filter cut off modulation would be great, espcially at the upper end of the LFO rates are one thing I test on a synth to see if the LFO mod engine is doing a good job. Really looking forwards to ANA2.
Modulation is really a trade of between CPU and functionality. We go to 200hz with pitch mod which is as much as you would normally need.

The "Roly" and "Mogy" filters self oscillate and you can play them if you get the filter-keytrack spot on

Not sure if it is possible but an offline authorization option for ANA2 would be great. Now my Windows 10 system is working nicely I would prefer not to have to put it online and get the obligatory (forced) W10 updates in case it messes up a nicely working machine.

200Hz seems good. :) The question is.. does it sound good at high rates ? I know a synth or 2 where LFO rate parameter values suggest a very high rate and yet they sound terrible. Garbled/loses the anticipated and expected special effect. Once it hits 30Hz or so it becomes unusable as a synth parameter.

I also know a synth that makes a huge fuss about having audio rate mod and it is no better than 10 y.o. classics and they never even mentioned audio rates.

I have high hopes for ANA2 as I love Kick2. I am really looking forwards to it.

I suppose it depends on which parameter you modulate at such high rates and what modulation amount you set.
With many parameters 30 Hz or so indeed seems to be the limit of what makes musical sense. Beyond that there is something irregular and arbitrary, and you can forget about playing melodies in many cases.

Spot on, when it sounds irregular instead of smooth and well.... frankly accurate as opposed to a sonic mess that is non musical, just sounds like something is technically going wrong. A good LFO response is one where you feel you are in musical control.

Usually I only use LFO's for tremolo, i.e. 3 Hz or so :hihi:

What also seems to get in the way of LFO musicality are things like multiple oscillators (i.e. usually detuned and out of phase) and effects with their own LFO's such as chorus...

Is there a release date for this thing yet?

One day I will use 2 oscillators, how and what for I don't know. 8)

Jupiter 8 sounds?

Synthman2000 wrote:One day I will use 2 oscillators, how and what for I don't know. 8)
For example, syncing osc 2 to osc 1 and FMing 2 from 1 at the same time, osc 2 being two octaves lower than osc 1 :borg:

Can ANA 2 do that?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Ana 2 oscs 1-3 have self sync... I.e you just turn the sync knob and it's like tuning the synced osc up.

You can Fm osc 1 using osc 2 or 3, osc 2 using osc 3 or the sub, osc 3 just the sub.

1-3 all have pulse width too and a sub with pulse, triangle and sine shapes

Osc 1-3 are all capable of 3D wavetables

When you combine all that you can do some super crazy stuff.

Phil, the Pwm is before or after the sync and fm?
or you have the sync, fm, pwm...

and about 3d wt, it mean you have access to osc fx( phase distortion, harmonic., formant..)

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:Ana 2 oscs 1-3 have self sync... I.e you just turn the sync knob and it's like tuning the synced osc up.

You can Fm osc 1 using osc 2 or 3, osc 2 using osc 3 or the sub, osc 3 just the sub.

1-3 all have pulse width too and a sub with pulse, triangle and sine shapes

Osc 1-3 are all capable of 3D wavetables
Sounds great except that I don't quite understand what is "3D wavetable"
Phil Sonic Academy wrote:
When you combine all that you can do some super crazy stuff.
And when I'll be able to do that? :wink:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:Jupiter 8 sounds?
What about the other 6 oscillators ?

2d wavetable is just a regular single cycle wave

3D wavetable is like Serum, massive, Ppg wave etc.

Return to “Instruments”