IDEA: centring the bass

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(Based on a tip in Computer Music magazine.)

Here's one way to get you bass well-positioned in the centre: Use Mid-Side processing in an equalizer:

Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/Swr08pe.png
  • set the Equalizer to Mid/Side processing (on the right-hand side),
  • set the bands as shown, right-click the node in the graph or in the list,
  • in the General section, select the Mid channel for Band 1 and the Side channel for Band 2
  • tweak to taste
The Mid channel curve is is blue and the Side channel in green. (I've suggested some alternative colours to Vojtech, to make the curves easier to see.)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Interesting. I made a bass monoizer in MXXX. It uses a crossover and then lets you select how to handle the bass; it monoizes the bass and lets you use either left channel only, right channel only or both. I've found it super useful, but i like your filter idea too... different uses I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Both ideas are fine ;). The crossover thing will cause more phase shift probably though. Or it can be linear-phase, where it would actually be better than with a linear-phase EQ probably.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I think it is more important to put it on your overall mix.
Start rolling off the sides at 200hz.
Let the Middle go down to 30HZ or so. Rolloff at about 40hz so it is out by 20hz.
Try it and clean up your mixes.
Spencer

I also add Side boost and Mid boost.
Here is the screen shot of the EQ.
I just mixed a telemovie Score with these settings and it sounded great everywhere.
Spencer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I wanted High and Lowpass for both Mid and Side so did it like this:
For presets that use other stereo modes it would be good if the mode could be saved with the preset.

Just use MEqualizer in MS mode like I did above. This gives you everything you want and you can save it as a preset.
Spencer

Return to “MeldaProduction”