Utility - free lightweight digital track control/channel strip plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Free Clip 1 Quick Haas Utility

JHVenn wrote:edit: and yes it's definitely the final stage.
So it's not working on Cantabile 2.0 ... (at least here)

Its not exactly my "sequencer" but I like to try things over there.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:

What makes you say that? Have you tried in another DAW? Try attaching an accurate metering plugin immediately afterwards, it's possible Cantabile's metering is malfunctioning, or is adding gain elsewhere.

JHVenn wrote:
Tp3 wrote:

What makes you say that? Have you tried in another DAW? Try attaching an accurate metering plugin immediately afterwards, it's possible Cantabile's metering is malfunctioning, or is adding gain elsewhere.
Am I wrong or the clipping happens BEFORE any gain applied with the plug ?

If not, I can't explain it...

No biggie... but if it is, it kinda renders the clipping procedure useless (not entirely but almost).
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

The clipping is the last stage in the plugin. I've tested on multiple platforms and there are definitely no peaks above zero immediately post utility when clipping is turned on - could you perhaps post a screenshot of the problem?

thanks Venn, very nice utility indeed :)

JHVenn wrote:The clipping is the last stage in the plugin. I've tested on multiple platforms and there are definitely no peaks above zero immediately post utility when clipping is turned on - could you perhaps post a screenshot of the problem?
Before I do that : is the clipper true peak ? it's weird because with SPAN (+3dBFS) I get 0.0, with Utility SOMETIMES the meter shows overs (3.1dB it one instance where the S.Clip was engaged) and with TBProAudio's dpMeter II... I get TRUE PEAK overs all the time.
I most certainly get crackles with every over I have...

Dunno what TF is going on, man... (sorry :scared:)

BTW, if I put FreeClip after utility, it abolishes the "overs" thingy.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
JHVenn wrote:The clipping is the last stage in the plugin. I've tested on multiple platforms and there are definitely no peaks above zero immediately post utility when clipping is turned on - could you perhaps post a screenshot of the problem?
Before I do that : is the clipper true peak ? it's weird because with SPAN (+3dBFS) I get 0.0, with Utility SOMETIMES the meter shows overs (3.1dB it one instance where the S.Clip was engaged) and with TBProAudio's dpMeter II... I get TRUE PEAK overs all the time.
I most certainly get crackles with every over I have...

Dunno what TF is going on, man... (sorry :scared:)

BTW, if I put FreeClip after utility, it abolishes the "overs" thingy.
Neither Free Clip nor Utility compensates for inter-sample peaks, if that's what you mean by true peak? Utility's hard clip should be identical to Free Clip on hard clip mode with ceiling at 0 and no oversampling, and Utility's soft clip should be identical to Free Clip on the cubic mode with those same settings.

Hey guys, Utility has been updated to 0.9.2, as I found an issue with a couple of the settings not being saved between sessions properly, so I have provided a minor update to address these, all current users should download this update.

edit: oh and mac vst is now available.

Return to “Effects”