AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

plopseaw wrote:Orbit50 you sound like a shill for Akai ; and I'll leave it there
I don't want you to think that bro. I'm just a guy who's in love with this software because of the true power of it. I'm not looking to do stunts with it, or expecting it to be a complete performance solution, so I got no complaints here at all. It works as expected if it is used for what it was designed for. My comments might have been a little bit of a knee jerk reaction to the fact that, as sbangs_air pointed out, your posts were hostile in nature, with very little information on exactly what your problem was. Didn't mean to trivialize your issues with my comments, but I've seen enough of those types of posts to know that it's usually something personal rather than technical. I hope you get whatever problem you are having resolved.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

"Shill", the fashion word for people who want to put a hammer to a discussion, and discredit to shut up any opposition. Sorry, but, it's really like that. Stuff that "shill" stuff, please, it's not only boring, but also annoying, and totally unnecessary. Or do you want to play the childish shill-hater game now? Where are we? Kindergarten?
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shill out dudes :)

aMUSEd wrote:Shill out dudes :)
:P

Well I am just a hobbyist \ bedroom guy who doesn't have a lot of money to spend on products that don't pan out.

I've provided enough facts with what myself and others are saying on Akai's own forums. It doesn't seem to work as advertised and Akai don't seem to support beyond getting in more first time users. This current update has been years in the making and still crashes...

For 'shill out', that made me smile :) and bonne nuit

Now I get what everybody's problem is over there. Everyone wants VIP to perfectly build a complete database of tens of thousands of presets and controller maps while posting on Snapchat and Instagram. Here's the deal with that. This is a huge task which can not be done in one sitting. There will be issues that arise with certain plugins that will put the kibosh on this pipedream of every single thing working as expected. For instance, Arturia Analog Lab had always given me problems and I stopped using it years ago. For those that like it, and feel comfortable using it, more power to them. Having said that, all Arturia separates will import the factory banks automatically without using Analog Lab. It might be asking a little too much for one plugin (Analog Lab) to neatly and swiftly hand over 5 billion presets to VIP 3 to import. I stopped using AL a long time ago. It was always laggy and shitty and I found that just loading each Arturia plugin separately worked fine. I don't know if they've optimized it since the last time I used it, but it always seemed as if it were struggling and I dumped it on principal alone.

As for premade maps, everyone needs to suck it up and figure out how to make their own if certain plugins don't have one, or whatever the hell the problem is with not finding maps. I could not rely on the fact that every map was exactly right for me, because half the controls that were mapped were of no use to me, but the ones I actually wanted were not there. There is no such thing as the perfect controller map because you can not map out every single parameter in one map, so I delved into the science of setting up my own on a per case basis. Right now, I'm using my Nektar P1 and my Roland A-800PRO, and after a few road bumps, and wanting to shoot myself a couple of times, I learned how to get everything working beautifully.

Now, there are other plugins that do not import presets and banks as expected. For instance, Nexus as well as a lot of other plugins will automatically scan and import the factory banks, but not 3rd party banks and expansions. There is the feature "Import Bank" for importing whole banks, but in Nexus, as well as others, that would not work for the expansions and 3rd party preset banks, so I had to use the "Auto Import" (thank God for this) feature to load and import each preset, which is just a matter of cycling through the presets one by one, and the "Auto Tag On Import" feature, which for instance, if you are cycling through your basses, make sure so set the Auto Tag to "Bass" and they will be tagged when you are done. Hell you even get an "Expansion" column to custom tag the specific bank names as you import each preset. Then you just select the bank you just tagged "Ayin Zahev Colors Vol 1" and then you can do detailed tagging of that bank and then it's done. Simple and very useful. There was only one issue that I ran into that was impossible to overcome. It was the fact that Waves Element, and the other stupid one by them, will not import factory presets or banks period. There was no workaround for those two plugins. I'm assuming that they used some sort of closed preset handling system there? Did I miss something? Anyway, I dumped those and moved on. (Disclaimer: all Waves effects plugins automatically imported factory presets and maps perfectly)

VIP 3 will help you get there, but it cannot do it perfectly in every case all by itself. A lot of these problems are not the fault of the VIP software, but how the plugins handle presets and banks. It was the same thing with Kore2. Just ask aMUSEd. He knows. Firebird anyone?

The best thing about this whole thing at the end of the day, is that there are some awesome, well thought out, little tiny, but very powerful, "savior" features included in VIP 3 that make the task of importing your banks and presets that won't automatically import, much more palatable. You have to roll up your sleeves and get into this in detail. It's not for the faint of heart, and it is going to take time if you want great results. You are building a complete database of all of your presets from many different plugins containing hundreds, if not thousands of presets which is a huge task, but the big payoff, is that it only has to be done once, (make sure to backup all of your work) and is totally worth the investment in the time it takes to do it. Then you're good to go!

The moral of the story, is that, if something does not work as expected, 7 out of 10 times there is something that one can do to make it work. In the case of VIP 3, there is definitely a way, if one can just show a little bit of patience and tenacity for the sake of getting to the end result.

Sorry if missed something. I'm not a writer so forgive me. I'm very passionate about this and just wanted to share some thoughts.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Sorry if missed something.
Yes there is. One year ago I couldn't make VIP connect reliably to the keyboard. Even it it decided to work, it was unreliable and thus effectively useless.

Now, after 3.0 update, I cannot connect VIP to keyboard AT ALL and didn't receive any help from Akai staff themselves. The features or maps don't matter if the core thing doesn't work. This thing is still bugged and looks good only in demonstrations.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Sorry if missed something.
Yes there is. One year ago I couldn't make VIP connect reliably to the keyboard. Even it it decided to work, it was unreliable and thus effectively useless.

Now, after 3.0 update, I cannot connect VIP to keyboard AT ALL and didn't receive any help from Akai staff themselves. The features or maps don't matter if the core thing doesn't work. This thing is still bugged and looks good only in demonstrations.
Hello, this either points to an issue with the Keyboard hardware (our support team can help with this) or a problem with the driver install for your Keyboard (our support team can help with this also).
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX
Email. sbangs@inmusicbrands.com

plopseaw wrote:Firstly, Simon then organize me at least a refund at MusicStore.de (you can reach me personally here at kvr ) and I am happy to 'get over it' Go on.. and for the others it would be good customer service wouldn't it ? I'll report it here if you do and we are all good.
I am a loyal customer I have almost all your other products so if you can't be honest with me then who can you offer a 'working product' to.

Do you think that looking at previous complaints against this product and trying to shame a customer that has already giving you 600 + the rest is good customer service ;) Please try again

Orbit50 you sound like a shill for Akai ; and I'll leave it there

Just look at Acai Pro Community forum before you buy!!

Still, I am busy
I'm sorry, but I cant dictate a retailers refund policy, but what we can do is do our best to help with specific issues :)

A number of the items you have raised are now addressed in VIP 3. Have you tried upgrading?
Part of the problem for this type of solution is that your reliant on 3rd parties to update their plugins from time to time. Luckily we have a great relationship with Arturia and 3.0 and some work on their side resolves instability.

The only outstanding item to my understanding of reading the topics and your comments are the plugin maps for the latest Arturia instruments which will be coming from them directly.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands
AIR | Akai Professional | Alesis | ▲lto Professional | Denon DJ | Denon Professional | ION Audio | M-Audio | Marantz Professional | MixMeister | Numark | SONiVOX

Excellent addition to my AKAI MPK261. I will closely monitor the development of a very interesting supplement. What is missing in the current version is the ability to select more than 2 folders for scanning VST tools and plug-ins (I prefer to install them in different folders) and support VST3. The program is much more convenient Automap from Novation and other similar additions.

Dmitry Petrenko wrote:Excellent addition to my AKAI MPK261. I will closely monitor the development of a very interesting supplement. What is missing in the current version is the ability to select more than 2 folders for scanning VST tools and plug-ins (I prefer to install them in different folders) and support VST3. The program is much more convenient Automap from Novation and other similar additions.
If it supports scanning plugin folder shortcuts (or symlinks) you can amalgamate folders using those (just make one 'dummy' plugin folder full of shortcuts to the plugins you use)

afaik vip already supports scanning multiple folders. Each scan ADDs plugins in the given folders, so change folders after a scan and scan again, it keeps adding plugins to its plugin manager...

TabSel wrote:afaik vip already supports scanning multiple folders. Each scan ADDs plugins in the given folders, so change folders after a scan and scan again, it keeps adding plugins to its plugin manager...
Great idea, thanks a lot! I just got the program, so I do not know all the subtleties.

Hey Guys, some good news for the day.

VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT DEVELOPER EASTWEST ANNOUNCES VIPMS SUPPORT FOR THEIR ENTIRE CATALOGUE OF PREMIUM VSTs

Leading virtual instrument developer announces full VIPMS support for complete integration with VIP 3.0 Software, fusing the tactile feel of hardware with the unrivalled processing capability of VSTs.

Ash Vale, UK (September 7, 2017) — Akai Professional (www.akaipro.com), creator of the critically acclaimed Virtual Instrument Player (VIP) software — the only software that enables musicians to catalogue, control and map their entire VST instrument and effect library directly from their keyboard — today announced complete VIP Native Plugin Map Standard (VIPMS) support for EastWest’s catalogue of premium virtual instruments, which are included in their award-winning ComposerCloud subscription service. Now with the combination of VIP 3.0, an EastWest ComposerCloud subscription and a compatible MIDI controller, users can catalogue, browse and manipulate more than 10,000 EastWest instruments with the hands-on ease-of-use facilitated by dedicated hardware controls.

ComposerCloud is the first subscription model for virtual instruments. For a low monthly fee, artists enjoy instant access a vast array of award-winning instruments spanning every genre. Now VIP 3.0 users can benefit from the VIPMS support when accessing the meticulously produced EastWest catalogue, including flagship products like Hollywood Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Choirs and over fifty other collections.
Hollywood Orchestra is the most detailed and comprehensive orchestral virtual instrument collection available – including Hollywood Strings, Hollywood Brass, Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds and Hollywood Orchestral Percussion. Symphonic Choirs realistically recreates the sound of a choir with an unprecedented degree of control, sonic quality and flexibility. Plus, with its WordBuilder software, users can even type in words for the choirs to sing! ComposerCloud includes instruments for every musical style: orchestral, keyboards, rock/pop, ethnic, urban and EDM. It’s compatible with Ableton, Cubase, Finale, FL Studio, GarageBand, Logic, Performer, Pro Tools, Reaper, Sibelius, Sonar, Studio One, VE Pro and other AU, AXX, VST hosts.
VIP 3.0 revolutionizes the hardware/software experience and provides musicians and producers with unparalleled access to their VST virtual instrument and effect collection. The combination of VIP 3.0 and a compliant controller maximises workflow and ensures a natural, creative playing experience.

With VIP 3.0, users can drastically enhance the creative capability of any standard MIDI over USB controller thanks to all-new MIDI Learn functionality. Now artists can seamlessly custom map the controls of any MIDI controller (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP’s parameters, for effortless integration and the enhanced workflow that owners of the award-winning Akai Professional Advance Series and M-Audio’s CTRL49 have long enjoyed. For instant creative capability VIP 3.0 includes an extensive, ever-growing library of MIDI controller mappings including Akai Professional’s MPK88, MPK2 Series, MPK Mini MKII & APC Key 25 and M-Audio’s CODE Series, Oxygen Series & Axiom AIR Mini 32.

VIP 3.0 Highlights
¥ Plays virtually every VST-compatible plugin and effects unit
¥ Operates as a standalone virtual instrument and effects player or as a plugin within any AU, VST or AAX compatible DAW
¥ Organizes user’s plugin collection with intuitive browsing by plugin, artist collection, instrument type, timbre and more
¥ Includes an Effects Browser allowing users to browse effects by type and audition across multiple plugins with a single click
¥ Access, edit and mix up to 8 virtual instruments at one time in a Multi
¥ Expanded Multi mixer includes insert effects, send effects, bus tracks and a master output channel strip for total routing control
¥ Effects Stacks combine multiple effects into re-usable patches, accessible in the patch list for easy selection and auditioning
¥ NEW | VIPMS – The VIP Native Plugin Map Standard allows 3rd party virtual instrument and effect developers to produce their own plugin maps for enhanced VIP integration and opening their plugins to the superior workflow offered by VIP
¥ NEW | MIDI Learn functionality seamlessly maps the controls of any VIP-compatible keyboard (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP’s parameters with a ever-growing library of MIDI controller mappings for Akai and M-Audio controller keyboards included
¥ NEW | Pad Chord Progressions - play factory or user defined chord progressions using a VIP-enabled keyboard controller’s pads
¥ NEW | Key Control modes: play scales, harmonized chords or chord progressions from a VIP keyboard or MIDI keyboard.

“The VIP Native Plugin Map Standard (VIPMS) marks a breakthrough for the VIP platform” said Pete Goodliffe, Director of Software Development for inMusic Brands. “Now 3rd party instrument manufacturers can produce their meticulously curated plugin maps, offering enhanced integration and superior workflow for musicians, producers and live performers. We are excited to announce EastWest as the first developer to provide full support for VIPMS across their entire catalogue, offering end-users the unparalleled tactile access to such a critically-acclaimed virtual instrument collection as only VIP can.”

“We are very excited about this new hardware and software integration.” Said Doug Rogers, EastWest Founder and Producer. “Artists want to focus on creating music, not wasting time grappling with the technology, and this co-operation achieves that goal; and with the addition of a ComposerCloud subscription artists have a system that includes every kind of instrument, used by the who’s who of the industry, to create any style of music.”

###

About Akai Professional
The world’s most influential manufacturer of music production gear, Akai Professional develops creative technologies to empower music makers with tools that are unmatched in expressive capability. Akai Professional is best known for creating the legendary MPC, an instrument that has inspired generations of producers and performers and spawned entirely new genres of music. Akai Professional is a part of the inMusic family of premiere music brands.

About VIP
VIP is an award-winning music software platform that gives musicians and composers total control over their virtual instruments. VIP features an intelligent patch browser that integrates sound patches from the user’s collection of VST virtual instruments, so they can select, play and layer those instruments directly from a VIP-enabled keyboard. VIP works as a stand-alone application or as a VST, AU or AAX plugin for any digital audio workstation. For more information, visit www.vipmusicsoftware.com

About EastWest
EastWest has been dedicated to perpetual innovation and uncompromising quality of Sample Libraries and Virtual Instruments for more than 29 years, setting the industry standard as the most critically acclaimed sound developer. Find more about EastWest at soundsonline.com.
Software Brand Manager

inMusic Brands

This is great news :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”