|Product||VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)|
|Developer||AKAI / Vip Music Software|
|Type / Tags||Player|
|Utility||Stand-alone utility / application|
|Copy Protection||Online Activation (Challenge / Response)|
VIP 3.0 revolutionizes the hardware/software experience and provides musicians and producers with unparalleled access to their VST virtual instrument and effect collection. The combination of VIP 3.0 and a compliant controller maximizes workflow and ensures a natural, creative playing experience that fuses the tactile feel of hardware with the unrivalled processing capability of virtual Instruments.
With VIP 3.0, users can drastically enhance the creative capability of any standard MIDI over USB controller thanks to all-new MIDI Learn functionality. Now artists can seamlessly custom map the controls of their MIDI controller (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP's parameters, for effortless integration and the enhanced workflow, attributes that owners of the award-winning Akai Professional Advance Series, M-Audio's CTRL49 and the Alesis VX49 have long enjoyed. VIP 3.0 is also available for the first time ever as a no-charge complimentary upgrade (a $99.99 value) to owners of the following models:
MPK Mini Series.
Oxygen MK IV Series.
Axiom AIR Mini 32.
Other notable new features include Pad Chord Progressions and Key Control processors – MIDI centric performance tools, armed with comprehensive articulation controls, that provide the ideal platform to explore new musical possibilities by harmonizing root notes in real-time and playing chord progressions on pads (using either the vast factory library or user's own fully customizable motifs).
VIP 3.0 Highlights
• Plays virtually every VST-compatible plugin and effects unit.
• Operates as a standalone virtual instrument and effects player or as a plugin within any AU, VST or AAX compatible DAW.
• Organizes user's plugin collection with intuitive browsing by plugin, artist collection, instrument type, timbre and more.
• Includes an Effects Browser allowing users to browse effects by type and audition across multiple plugins with a single click.
• Access, edit and mix up to 8 virtual instruments at one time in a Multi.
• Expanded Multi mixer includes insert effects, send effects, bus tracks and a master output channel strip for total routing control.
• Effects Stacks combine multiple effects into re-usable patches, accessible in the patch list for easy selection and auditioning.
• NEW | VIPMS – The VIP Native Plugin Map Standard allows 3rd party virtual instrument and effect developers to produce their own plugin maps for enhanced VIP integration and opening their plugins to the superior workflow offered by VIP.
• NEW | MIDI Learn functionality seamlessly maps the controls of any VIP-compatible keyboard (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP's parameters with a ever-growing library of MIDI controller mappings for Akai and M-Audio controller keyboards included.
• NEW | Pad Chord Progressions - play factory or user defined chord progressions using a VIP-enabled keyboard controller's pads.
• NEW | Key Control modes: play scales, harmonized chords or chord progressions from a VIP keyboard or MIDI keyboard.
Reviewed By Psalmist91
June 24, 2018
VIP by Akai is a tremendous idea, being implemented increasingly well. Now it's up to version 3.1. Coolest yet -- it's available for usage beyond just the 3 original InMusic brand keyboards (Akai Advance, M-Audio CTRL-49 and Alesis' offering). Think of it as an advanced Browser & Mixer combo that allows you to preview, control, layer, and mix among multiple soft-synths and also supplement them with your favorite VST2 effects. Easy to find optimal patches. Easy to layer ginormous sounds. Useful in stand alone mode. Also integratabtle into DAWs. I'm still learning to play with it, mainly within Samplitude.
Trying it out both with an Akai Advance (seamless, but quirky) and with a Novation SL49 Mkii (usable, but not seamless, and the knobs seem to work backwards and don't automatically correspond to onscreen knobs). The Win10 software is still inconsistent. I've had some crashes and some disconnects between the Akai keyboard and the VIP software.
The concept is AWESOME. Seems there are still bugs to be worked out. Haven't yet tried the Mac version. The software package is nice. I already had 3 of the main players from PIB, so not quite the value for me as someone getting the entire SW package of synths and effects included. At this $100 off, the SW is a no-brainer. Akai has invited other manufacturers to now do their own routing (more like NKS), so that should expand the number of synths and manufacturers who embrace VIP.Read more
Reviewed By frareinif
September 27, 2017
Just bought that, sounds promising... crashes on scanning the plugin dirs, crashes on loading the plugin maps, crashes on selecting a patch (on a WIN 7 x64).... Wrote to support, let's wait and see.
EDIT: the nice guys @ (whereever I had bought it some months ago) gave back the money since I was not able to make it work... last week I bought a CODE25, so I got VIP3.1 for free... updating to 3.1.1... it still sucks! The Standalone stops scanning, offers a window to report a bug, and on sending the report it says, that sending the report failed! Opening the VIP plugin in Reaper, 2 clicks on the plugins GUI, and Reaper crashes... do not buy.Read more