Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

Terrafractyl wrote:Your all wrong, DIY is the best format for modular. (if you have the patience)

Most Affordable.. check.
Can use Euro/Buchla/Serge/Moog whatever... Check.
Can make own format with Bigger knobs, and more space around them...Check!

It has taken me quite a few years to get the synth I wanted this way, but playing an instrument with Buchla, Moog, Serge, Tiptop, Synthesis Technology modules all together makes it worth it.

(Also it wasn't that simple, even just adjusting the inputs and outputs of all the different formats so they play nicely together took a fair bit of extra time, but hey I'm a broke muso so its the only way I can get to play with such things!)
More than half my MU modular is DIY.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Just for the fun of continuing discussions around Repro-5, here is a personal observation about VSTi in general. Poly VSTi are extremely viable. I think this is because they are usually very limited in performance controls required. You are typically just playing chords + melodies on poly synths, with very limited use of pitch, mod and things like ribbon or x/y controls. And, some of the distractions of filter and vca performance get masked by the voice count. I very much like poly VSTi and because of how much I like the sound of the Pro-1, I’m truly excited for the Pro-5.

Mono synths, I’m still totally on the side of analog gear. Mostly because of the performance aspects associated with various techniques of using the synth controls while playing. I really dig the sound of Pro-1. But,it’s more fun to play my voyager. I’ve tried mapping the Voyager controls to the Pro-1, and it’s as close as I’ve come to enjoying it. But, there’s still something about external gear through an amp..

We are long, long way from getting that modular experience. IMO, there is still nothing like standing there with cables going everywhere and you have no idea if the next jack will make everything into the golden ratio song, or start an electrical fire.

Oh come now you have never started an electrical fire...um...have you?! :eek:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:Oh come now you have never started an electrical fire...um...have you?! :eek:
I’ve let the magic smoke out of more than one capacitor.

When this thread becomes all about Repro-5 again, maybe we should have a thread about modular synths here. The discussion and the music have both been very enjoyable.

I'm a bit late to the party re the screenshot of the browser. As someone who's been critical of the u-he browsers over the years (in short, they do my head in) this looks damn near perfect - tagging really practical and looks very easy to use. Thanks in advance to you Urs and all at u-he.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

:o :o I guess the average user has much more extreme preset-classification needs than I do, wow. I'm totally happy to see U-he meeting whatever demand there is / creating a more advanced browser across all products, but holy cow, I'll never use any of it! Tags? Like the native instruments stuff? I own Komplete and I still never use any of the tags, seriously. I do use presets, and make/save my own: every time, just the ability to make user folders is all I ask, so I can sort my patches by project or song or whatever; even then I'll only need a small handful of folders to drop them in, and I'm good.

mind you, i'm *not* complaining about the wait, I'm more patient than many folks in these parts (that *other* thread, yikes...), so again, no problem, I'm just sort of amazed that people want / need / get excited about something so, uh, clerical? as a preset browser. It's like if a huge new movie came out and you were excited about how the credits were presented. ok not really. but that's how it feels over here :P

I also have no use for tagging, other than marking favorites. But, hey not all features are for me. They should be. But some developers didn't get the memo I guess.

If all U-he did was add text search and "filter by favorites" options I'd have been happy. The tagging support, allows NKS support, which I'm sure NI controller owners are thrilled about. The rest of the features just seem like candy. U-he's long been one of the absolute top plugin companies when it comes to synths IMO, and it's nice to see a premium preset browser.

noiseboyuk wrote:I'm a bit late to the party re the screenshot of the browser. As someone who's been critical of the u-he browsers over the years (in short, they do my head in) this looks damn near perfect - tagging really practical and looks very easy to use. Thanks in advance to you Urs and all at u-he.
Where is this screenshot?

In this thread

AnX wrote:In this thread
Super. I checked the last 5 pages. I'll just check the other 63 now.

mholloway wrote::o :o I guess the average user has much more extreme preset-classification needs than I do, wow.
First of all, this is all optional. It doesn't force itself upon users, but those who rely on presets will love it.

There's another interface, not depicted here, but available in Repro-1 and Diva already. It makes tagging a bunch of presets a matter of seconds. Our tagging system furthermore allows for top-level-only categorization. So you can leave it at Bass/Pads/Leads/Percussion etc. - if that's all the depth you need.

Anyhow, the database and search result view is 90% of the work, regardless if it's just the Favourites or Tags or both. So why start with a half-assed approach when we can go all the way and make something everyone can live with? 8)

Urs wrote:So why start with a half-assed approach when we can go all the way and make something everyone can live with? 8)
Quite. Apart from all your hard work (!) there is no down side to this. And I think - could be wrong - it will help open up u-he to a market far beyond the core devotees that I see on this thread (god bless every one of you). Much of what I do is media work, and it you need something out of the door in 40 minutes, you can't program every sound from scratch. You think "I need an aggressive synth bass", or what have you, find something close and tweak - job done. The old paradigm of broad categories arranged by programmer is the antithesis of useful for such a task.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “u-he”