RIP Cakewalk

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote:Hey Gibson, sell the code to someone who will use it, or open-source the code,
no need for it to die, for some beancounter's 'just because'.
It would be at least a small show of respect for those who spent
hard-earned money, and many hundreds man-hours learning
and using your products. I for one love Dimension Pro, Rapture, and z3ta+,
no need to leave the code in a dumpster somewhere.
Well yeah, actually, the announcement seems vaguely worded in a way that might imply selling their assets to another company. But no thanks. I need something I can actually count on. I already have Live, which suits the majority of my needs, and Bitwig just because. But I still need a robust linear timeline with video support for scoring to video. And with strong MPE support, Cubase seems like the most obvious choice. I don’t suppose Steinberg are having a Black Friday sale, are they?

Edit:
In case anyone else is interested, competitive cross grade to Cubase Pro 9.5, currently on sale for $325 USD.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
glokraw wrote:Hey Gibson, sell the code to someone who will use it, or open-source the code,
no need for it to die, for some beancounter's 'just because'.
It would be at least a small show of respect for those who spent
hard-earned money, and many hundreds man-hours learning
and using your products. I for one love Dimension Pro, Rapture, and z3ta+,
no need to leave the code in a dumpster somewhere.
Well yeah, actually, the announcement seems vaguely worded in a way that might imply selling their assets to another company. But no thanks. I need something I can actually count on. I already have Live, which suits the majority of my needs, and Bitwig just because. But I still need a robust linear timeline with video support for scoring to video. And with strong MPE support, Cubase seems like the most obvious choice. I don’t suppose Steinberg are having a Black Friday sale, are they?

Edit:
In case anyone else is interested, competitive cross grade to Cubase Pro 9.5, currently on sale for $325 USD.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG

Cakewalk sold their assets several times as I understand it. I don't think there is anyone left who wants them.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I'm only sad about z3ta, was hoping for a version 3 at some point.

I'm sad, but I'm not surprised AT ALL. Everybody was talking about them when they released Z3ta+ (I remember, every single dance music producer was recommending this synth to me back in 2003~2004 !), then... I've heard about other companies than Cakewalk.

I still love the products I have. I use Z3ta, Z3ta2, Rapture and Dimension Pro. These are good products.

I also bought Rapture Pro but have uninstalled it. I haven't even tried to resell it because I would feel bad for the poor buyer.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I’ve known Gibson was terrible for a while, but I was hoping they wouldn’t ruin Cakewalk like they did everything else. To be honest Sonar actually got better, but I guess it was like a car the drives really well until you realize the brakes don’t work. Gibson is business poison.

This won't stop me or any of you - but if we haven't yet concluded that the finite nature of software is greatly variable to the point where you are almost gambling with your money when you decide to invest in it - now might be the time to have a think about it. Indeed - Cakewalk won't simply stop working tomorrow - but think about all the pricey software that for one reason or another has stopped working - stuff you have and have not owned (I don't own Cakewalk)

Perhaps one takeaway from this is - in many circumstances, Hardware may have a good justification for being as expensive as it is...

Now if you'd excuse me - black Friday approaches, and I have a credit card and an email box full of offers from various different software houses offering their flagship products for a lower arbitrary number than usual... :D

No big suprise, many more to follow, Spectrasonics, Native instruments, Waves, etc, etc....
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fallacy wrote:This won't stop me or any of you - but if we haven't yet concluded that the finite nature of software is greatly variable to the point where you are almost gambling with your money when you decide to invest in it - now might be the time to have a think about it. Indeed - Cakewalk won't simply stop working tomorrow - but think about all the pricey software that for one reason or another has stopped working - stuff you have and have not owned (I don't own Cakewalk)

Perhaps one takeaway from this is - in many circumstances, Hardware may have a good justification for being as expensive as it is...

Now if you'd excuse me - black Friday approaches, and I have a credit card and an email box full of offers from various different software houses offering their flagship products for a lower arbitrary number than usual... :D
I don't think that this imparts an arbitrary value to hardware, but, it is absolutely something to think about and it's something that I use to determine value in software to me.

layzer wrote:No big suprise, many more to follow, Spectrasonics, Native instruments, Waves, etc, etc....

You just named probably some of the most likely NOT to go bankrupt. Especially Native Instruments. They are growing like gangbusters.

BTW Layzer, I think I fixed that thing you were talking about on my song :D making a video for it now and it's still named after you :D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Perhaps we need a new category on KVR - the "Planned obselence predictions and Synth graveyard thread"

Not nearly as exciting as the Instruments thread, I know. I mean who wants to talk about all the things we've blown our money on that's now broken for one reason or another, when there's pretty GUI eye candy of yet another analogue modeled synth, and endless 'top 10' lists to gloat over?

Sad indeed but not really a surprise There have been some signals about it.

deastman wrote:I always wondered how long my lifetime updates would last. Now I know.

This is Opcode all over again, which they swore up and down it wouldn’t be.

Now where to go? Cubase?
Lifetime updates in there lifetime not yours lol

Always sad to see a long time player go down. As a PC user all my post ATARI 1080 STE life I always had Cakewalk in mind as a strong PC only player. I had heard good thing about Cakewalk over the years. Shame they have gone.

ATN69 wrote:Amazing news. I got the impression that Cakewalk was one of the big and successful in this business. That was obviously not the case.
The writing was on the wall when gibson acquired cakewalk .
to quote someone from gearslutz '
-quote-
Gibson Brands is where failing companies go to die
-unquote-
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

layzer wrote:No big suprise, many more to follow, Spectrasonics, Native instruments, Waves, etc, etc....
And eventually the earth will be swallowed by the sun .
Your point being ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”