Idea for new saturation plugin

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Imagine you could tailor the frequencies where the saturation is applied. Imagine an eq graph where anything above the 0dB line gets saturation, anything below gets a volume cut.

With standard eq filter types you could really shape the tone of the saturation in a way that multiband saturation just can't match.

Yes, melda eqs have a saturation amount, but it's just a flat saturation applied to the output, I'm taking about tailoring where the eq is applied using eq like controls.

Yeah, you could do something similar with mxxx by setting up a eq - saturation - opposite-eq chain, I've made one... But having it in one neat window showing the curve is waaay nicer and easier to control than a bunch of multiparameters and no curve.

I've been thinking there was a missing saturation plugin in the melda line, maybe it's this.

Ha' thought of the exact same thing, and not just with saturation, why not do the same thing with transients (though in that case it's softens transients below the 0dB line)
Anyhow - interesting to hear Vojtechs response :ud: :D

::
Mads

I think you could do the transient thing with any of the multiband plugins by using the tonal/transient crossover type
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I think you could do the transient thing with any of the multiband plugins by using the tonal/transient crossover type
But I'm not talking multiband :wink:

Mads

I would prefer a spectral saturator with a few tabs so we could set curves for odd/even harmonics, dry/wet, drive etc.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

mljung wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I think you could do the transient thing with any of the multiband plugins by using the tonal/transient crossover type
But I'm not talking multiband :wink:

Mads
He doesn't mean multiband. Just set up 2 bands in Tonal/Transient mode.
Now in band 2 place an EQ, there you have a transient EQ!
It is not limited to multiband functionality, you can use the EQ fully but it will boost the gain of the transients only.

Well I'm afraid there are many things you can do in Melda plugins, that I don't how to do unfortunately :roll:
(Anyhow I hope for a better transient shaper algo before digging into experiments)
Mads

Actually the algorithm in the transient/tonal crossover is new, and works VERY WELL. You should try it, i find its detection is perfect.

OK I will see if I can get my way into it - Thanks jmg8

Are you using MXXX for this?
Apart from this I won't de-rail this thread further

Mads

Yes, MXXX.

I have requested exactly this to Vojtech quite a while back. I requested it as a saturation option in MADEQ. He said it would be difficult for technical reasons since there are no actual bands in the EQs and that this is what the multiband saturation is for.
Still I’m sure it’s possible and it would be really cool!

It's actually an interesting idea... But I think what you want is more like a crossover, a bit weird one, since it can always have exactly 2 bands. One with the EQ curve you edit and the other with the EQ curve inverted. Therefore it also needs to be linear-phase (hence latency). The main problem arises when you use a low-pass/high-pass filters (which I think would be pretty common), because you cannot just replenish what you destroyed, since there may be nothing left or too much burried in noise. So some spectral approach would be needed, but I actually think I now have everything I need to make this happen... we'll see. Perhaps a module for MXXX...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:It's actually an interesting idea... But I think what you want is more like a crossover, a bit weird one, since it can always have exactly 2 bands. One with the EQ curve you edit and the other with the EQ curve inverted. Therefore it also needs to be linear-phase (hence latency). The main problem arises when you use a low-pass/high-pass filters (which I think would be pretty common), because you cannot just replenish what you destroyed, since there may be nothing left or too much burried in noise. So some spectral approach would be needed, but I actually think I now have everything I need to make this happen... we'll see. Perhaps a module for MXXX...
That's an interesting idea. I really like it as a way to shape a sound, both subtlety and to the extreme. I really love how open minded you are with the 'crossover' concepts, it makes the MB versions of melda plugs way more compelling.

I'm not one of those analog purists, but I do think this approach could create some interesting analog like effects, eg a delay or saturator that is focused more on mid range than high or low. Sure you can do this already with a 3 band crossover, but this 'curve' approach would make it more subtle and natural sounding, as shelves sound more natural and analog than low and high pass filters than cut to infinity.

For what it's worth, if you did try this, I don't think you'd need hi or low pass filters, just shelves and peaks would suffice. I can see how hi, low, band pass and notch filters would be impossible as the 'negative' output would be infinity... Which would cause problems!

Great idea!

I am massively in favour of this new crossover idea! I was trying to create it manually a few weeks back. I was very successful, it sounded great and had loads of aplications, however the setup was very complex and time consuming.

vectorwarrior: The thing is, even if LP/HP wouldn't be used, the phase would be a problem, so it would still need to be linear-phase. Anyways I'll check it out. You should already be able to do that in MXXX quite easily btw., using equalizer LP or freeform equalizer, both doubled with opposite curves.

Anyways, this cannot be a crossover, since there always needs to be exactly 2 bands and the "editor" is not band limits, but some kind of equalization. But perhaps a module for MXXX, we'll see.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”