VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Loopus Modules Sonus Modular treasure 0.5 treasure free bundle VCV Rack

nineofkings wrote:
AdamWysokinski wrote:I'm aware of its possibilities. My question is what can it give to me (for designing sounds) that cannot be achieved in DAW with instruments/effects plugins and Reaktor. I can spent time learning it, but would like to know it's worth doing.
The sounds of the modules you use, and the ability to conceive of sounds in a way you wouldn't have due to the different workflow. On a general note, any way to wrap your mind around a new way of working will produce different results. On a specific note, boxes like the Mutable Instruments modules have distinctive and sought-after sounds that make the most sense in a modular context.

It's not just about what you could do, it's what you actually end up doing. So while you could theoretically spend a long time tweaking a virtual analog vst and a resonator and a reverb to replicate the kinds of interrelated modulated sounds that modulars lend themselves to, it's much easier and more natural to whip it up in an actual modular environment like VCV.
You missed the keyword Reaktor there. Currently VCV doesn't offer anything that wouldn't already be possible for him in sound design with Blocks. Don't get me wrong, this is an absolutely awesome project that can become something totally amazing in a short time, but the realistic answer to his clearly formulated question is nothing.

As VCV grows in module selection, matures and catches up on features, choosing between Blocks and VCV will be mainly a question of UI preference.

Rack spikes my CPU enough for the fan to run on my 2013 retina macbook pro. I never hear the fan on this thing!

FTW - 2.5ghz i5 dual core, 8gb ram. Just running Rack v0.5 standalone, loaded 6 modules, patched but haven't even triggered a single sound yet.

Normal?
http://www.nathanieljohnson.bandcamp.com

2020 Macbook Air M1/16gb/1tb

tomorrowstops: Please read https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html for a note about CPU.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

A question for Andrew, or anyone who might know.

Is there a way for the end user to get rid of the outer glow on the lights (like the blinking light from the VCO or the LFO frequency for two examples ) . From looking through some of the graphics files, I'm assuming that the lights are rendered by the computer rather than a graphics file (svg) so curious if it would be hard for me to change and if not, can you please direct me how to achieve this.

You'd have to recompile it and comment out the glow draw functions in LightWidget.cpp.

Perfect and an easy change. Thanks again

dryan wrote:
Tj Shredder wrote:You need some calibration. The only analog synths which did not use v/oct where the Korg ones. I bet you just need to adjust the level. If 1V is more than an octave, a potentiometer would do it, or you need some amplification to trim it... For the tuning you have to add a fixed voltage...
Cheers. Any idea how i would go about this in VCV Rack? It works nicely in Silent Way, so is there a way to recreate the auto-calibration with some modules in Rack?
from Befaco A*B+C
its free... You have to experiment with the settings. Unfortunately its not easy to set values precise. I would prefer a number box over those dials... For this kind of tuning purposes unprecise dials suck... But it works still. I made a patch that would combine the keyboard pitch with the pitch bend with it, to be able to play Rack with my LinnStrument...

vortico wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Will this ever be made to run as a VST/AU instrument, or forever be a standalone app? My problem with standalone aps is that I always struggle for a way to integrate them with the rest of my instruments.
Rack will always be standalone, but I will release VCV Bridge soon, which will allow you to add a VST/AU plugin to channels in a DAW, and send/receive the audio/MIDI with the Bridge module.
Really? :o

More details about VCV Bridge at https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html

Curious about the Mutable modules.

I'm also curious if people are trying to put zero delay type filters into this thing.

None that I know of, unless Vult does this.

People seem to be making absolutely fantastic things with VCV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLdYLklS0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdRAfjJJFnA

Huge props to the developer and contributors, imo every line of code would be totally worth it just for these two tracks alone, but there's probably hundreds of more out there or in the making.

Holy crap they're both incredible. Well I'm definitely to going to try and learn VCV properly again !

I do wish there was a slightly more rigorous 'style guide', stuff like the Sonus Dept Looper module really looks fugly next to other modules.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:I do wish there was a slightly more rigorous 'style guide', stuff like the Sonus Dept Looper module really looks fugly next to other modules.
I know it's easy to say stuff like this, but please consider if you were a plugin developer and were told that your work was fugly.

A style guide might be available some time after Rack v1.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”