Maxwell Smart v3 - what a nice surprise!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Maxwell Smart

Lesha wrote:An excellent free limiter from Lively Audio just got better! (still 32 bit though)
Hi Lesha! Thanks for the feedback and creating this thread, really appreciate it!
Tp3 wrote:No 64 bit ? :scared:
Lesha wrote:There is a beta of the commercial version (not public), but since it's only 32 bit the development stopped. I hope Nikko figures it out and make a 64 bit one.
My plan is to look for people who can make 64 bit cross-platform plugins, and team up with them. After all, I'm an audio engineer first, and a programmer second, and it would probably take me ages to learn to do it properly myself. In the meantime, I know it's possible to create an internal bridge to 64 bit in a 32 bit plugin made with FlowStone, and this seems like the best option until we can start making plugins that are natively 64 bit.

You are welcome Nikko.

As I said numerous times in the past, this plugin really deserves the appreciation!
I still use a 32 bit DAW, although I was thinking of migrating to 64 bit soon, crossing my fingers for a 64 bit version of Maxwell :)
It's easy if you know how

I've not compared Maxwell Smart to AOM. But couple of years ago I did many test sessions with Maxwell beta Lesha was talking about, comparing it to five other limiters, one of them the commercial AOM demo. With small limiting, all of them were fine, no big differences. But when pushing harder, AOM was the first one to start breaking up, along with Limiter 6. And at the point where the rest were still clipping at least somewhat controllably (but not necessarily nicely), AOM was a pure distortion box. Mind you, I was intentionally pushing each limiter step by step over their limits to really hear what they can handle and how they behave when it's just too much.

I didn't measure anything else but the amount of limiting and used my ears for the rest. But every limiter was treated with exactly the same material and going through the same steps. So my findings were surely not quite like advertised sometimes, pretty much the opposite actually. How much that was an effect of demo version, I have no idea. Yes, that Maxwell beta fared really good.

LivelyAudio wrote:
Lesha wrote:An excellent free limiter from Lively Audio just got better! (still 32 bit though)
Hi Lesha! Thanks for the feedback and creating this thread, really appreciate it!
Tp3 wrote:No 64 bit ? :scared:
Lesha wrote:There is a beta of the commercial version (not public), but since it's only 32 bit the development stopped. I hope Nikko figures it out and make a 64 bit one.
My plan is to look for people who can make 64 bit cross-platform plugins, and team up with them. After all, I'm an audio engineer first, and a programmer second, and it would probably take me ages to learn to do it properly myself. In the meantime, I know it's possible to create an internal bridge to 64 bit in a 32 bit plugin made with FlowStone, and this seems like the best option until we can start making plugins that are natively 64 bit.
I use limiter in the mixbus to protects my ears (and/or the speakers) - maybe the next version could be named "The Cone of Silence"? :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtPPWi6OMQ

The best "free" limiter is probably the demo version of TDR Limiter 6 GE (analog style: no automatic recalls / saving function). :hihi:

But with ALL due respect... it's much more "complicated" (No, not really, but it DOES take some time to set it up).

MaxSmart is a run-and-gun affair.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Would Tokyo Dawn take on Maxwell Smart like they collaborated with Bootsie (also Synthmaker/Flowstone) ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Would Tokyo Dawn take on Maxwell Smart like they collaborated with Bootsie (also Synthmaker/Flowstone) ?
AFAIK, Tokyo Dawn ARE Bootsie (or the other way around. that is, he is one of the collective of the "3 Amigos").
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Would Tokyo Dawn take on Maxwell Smart like they collaborated with Bootsie (also Synthmaker/Flowstone) ?
AFAIK, Tokyo Dawn ARE Bootsie (or the other way around. that is, he is one of the collective of the "3 Amigos").
As far as I understand Tokyo Dawn Labs is Fabienne and VladG. The collaboration with Bootsie was a one-time thing for SlickEQ, especially for the very high class saturation algorithms that Bootsie initially developed for his own plugins.

But I think I can rightly say that we would all love to see a continuation of the collaboration between the "3 Amigos"!

Izak Synthiemental wrote:The best "free" limiter is probably the demo version of TDR Limiter 6 GE (analog style: no automatic recalls / saving function). :hihi:
Still doesn't do transparent loud like AOM does. I personally couldn't here much improvement over vladg's original.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
Izak Synthiemental wrote:The best "free" limiter is probably the demo version of TDR Limiter 6 GE (analog style: no automatic recalls / saving function). :hihi:
Still doesn't do transparent loud like AOM does. I personally couldn't here much improvement over vladg's original.
I see, you would rather distort, that is what you call transparent.
It's easy if you know how

Harry_HH wrote:I use limiter in the mixbus to protects my ears (and/or the speakers) - maybe the next version could be named "The Cone of Silence"? :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWtPPWi6OMQ
Heh, maybe, with a little more bug testing than they had done. :)
Thats a good idea. I'll keep them in mind when I start searching for collaborators. Thanks!

LivelyAudio wrote:
Thats a good idea. I'll keep them in mind when I start searching for collaborators. Thanks!
My pleasure. Seems like a perfect fit to me since Bootsy was also working in SM/Flowstone. Perhaps the experience that Tokyo Dawn gained while working with him could be beneficial in converting Maxwell. Good luck. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Harry_HH wrote:I use limiter in the mixbus to protects my ears (and/or the speakers) - maybe the next version could be named "The Cone of Silence"? :phones:
I'd rather call it "Silly Cone Valley" ! :D
(Gabe Dumbbell)

32-bit? Hello? It's almost 2018...

No idea why so few devs use this BTW: https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol You won't have to bother with 32-bit only frameworks, which only put out Windows VST's anymore that way. Unless i miss something. I'm no programmer.

Return to “Effects”