Limiter 6 GE unexpected stereo link behaviour

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought Limiter 6 GE in the recent sale and have just started experimenting with it to understand all the controls but I have a question about the linked stereo mode behaviour.

Conducting some tests with the peak limiter module using a panned mono pink noise signal I determined that the only way to get fully linked operation (gain reduction is applied equally to both channels) is via the mband mode with brickwall off. This is evident both by the L/R gain reduction needles in Limiter 6 as well as via a goniometer (Melda MStereoScope in my case).

Anyway, just wanted to confirm if this is the intended behaviour since this is not what I would have expected from the linked mode, especially considering there is a separate stereo/width mode and an unlinked mode (ALT key). I also note this is different to the original Limiter no 6 which has the standard linked behaviour (gain reduction is applied equally to both channels) that I would expect.

P.S I quickly checked the other modules and the compressor is the only one that has conventional linked behaviour.

Cheers,

provoc

Your observations are correct.

The reason for this seemingly weird behavior is that linking is not applied to the whole limiting process.
All fast events, i.e. instant "movements" of the gain reduction are fully unlinked, for a very good reason:
It makes no sense to link instant events, because all this would do is to introduce hefty left/right cross-modulation, at zero benefit. You don't link a clipper either.

Only the slow (non brickwall) aspects of the algorithm can be linked or unlinked, because these can greatly affect the stereo center stability vs the LR cross-modulation during normal operation.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Hi Fabien, Thanks for the clarification .. makes perfect sense. Looks like this is a GE improvement over the original and I am certainly happy with how it sounds :)

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”