Korg Prologue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

david.beholder wrote:Diva vs OB8 I'm taking reports from GS with grain of salt or two.
oh, that sounds interesting. any chance you could provide a link ? ... and give me a brief summary of why you came away from that thread thinking reports from GS should be taken with grains of salt ?

cheers

Daags wrote:
david.beholder wrote:After Diva vs OB8 I'm taking reports from GS with grain of salt or two.
oh, that sounds interesting. any chance you could provide a link ? ... and give me a brief summary of why you came away from that thread thinking reports from GS should be taken with grains of salt ?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=diva+vs+ob-8+gearslutz

Well it's showing that most of gearslutz have no idea what is analog, digital and how good is u-he Diva. First test caused so many failures among purists, as well results were almost like 50/50 when vote was open. It is showing worth of how biased opinion on GS from real one towards things that are 'cool'.

Btw if you're have time try to read every 10th page of Behringer Model D thread too. See how people starting with "it's impossible that Model D is $50 in parts, it's REAL VCO, REAL VCF and cost $3500' to 'huh... Boog sounds so close'.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote:
Daags wrote:
david.beholder wrote:After Diva vs OB8 I'm taking reports from GS with grain of salt or two.

Well it's showing that most of gearslutz have no idea what is analog, digital and how good is u-he Diva. First test caused so many failures among purists, as well results were almost like 50/50 when vote was open. It is showing worth of how biased opinion on GS from real one towards things that are 'cool'.

Btw if you're have time try to read every 10th page of Behringer Model D thread too. See how people starting with "it's impossible that Model D is $50 in parts, it's REAL VCO, REAL VCF and cost $3500' to 'huh... Boog sounds so close'.
to be fair, its called gear-slutz
that should be a clue :hihi:

Yes. Welcome to KVR. Home of the soft-slutz. :party:

chk071 wrote:Yes. Welcome to KVR. Home of the soft-slutz. :party:

im just a slut. don't care if its hard or soft.

theres a misquote candidate if ever there was one :hihi:

:hihi: Captain Obvious itt
Murderous duck!

Price is ok. It's made in Japan, and the expected build quality seems to be very high. Also the real keybed, all these VCOs, layering etc. Semi-open architecture too. Thinking out of the box a little. I listened to a lot of demos, as they are raining like pigs these last days, and I must say that I really enjoy the character of the synth. Very pleasant, from deep to spacy and silky. This is one of the few hw synths that really fired my imagination recently, also the Deckards Dream. Glad I did not jump on the Deep Mind offering, wich sounds ok, but very *generic*, in lack of a better term (for my taste). I think I'll probably get one ( Hands on test before of course)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I watched a demo. And another. And kept watching, watching... this thing is amazing, might be the best sounding synth ever :love:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Daags wrote:
david.beholder wrote:Diva vs OB8 I'm taking reports from GS with grain of salt or two.

cheers
Basically there was a OB8 vs. Diva blind test where the results were split pretty evenly. For years I thought I guessed wrong, but in admitting I was wrong someone pointed out to me that I misread the results. That said, both demos sounded great to me, because software sounds great. The end. However, it was a commercial for a soundset, so of course the places where the OB really out did Diva didn’t make it into the test. Diva’s not even an OB8 emulator. Anyway, all it really showed was that there was a big subset of bread-and-butter sounds that Diva could do that were liked as much as similar sounds on the OB8. I’ve never owned an OB8, but having owned Diva, I can tell you that there are a lot of places where it doesn’t do as good a job as actual analog synths, and it’s pretty clear. That said, RePro goes to those places and frankly blows me away. It’s a much more simple synth that takes more CPU to run less voices, so of course it sounds amazing. Well, not of course. Urs knows his sh!t.

You should take everyone’s opinion with a grain of salt. GearSlutz is far from monolithic. The Prologue sounds amazing to me and has a lot of fans on GearSlutz, but it seems like 10% of people there think it sounds like crap. I’m definitely in the “sounds great/where’s the LFOs?” camp. To me it seems odd that they put such a high voice count into an instrument but skimped on modulation options. Not only is it one LFO, but it’s only into a single source at a time. So, if you’re trying to modulate the pitch of one of your oscs and want the filter to also modulate, you’re SOOL. I also appreciate that they made it 61 keys, but disappointed it lacks aftertouch. So... I’m thinking about it. The sound really grabbed me despite it’s limitations. I’m just not sure where I’d put it. If anything, that’ll keep it out of my studio. Lack of aftertouch not only means I’ll miss that feature in the synth, but it means that it can’t replace my Novation controller. I’m also broke. :lol: It’ll have to wait until I can sell something and put some birthday funds together and that’s not until April, so we’ll see how things shake out. I also may just spend a day with Zebra HZ and think, “well that’s all the hybrid I need.” (See also; Bazille, PPG 3 and impOSCar) Hell, if Synapse puts the Legend filter into Dune... :hyper:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

david.beholder wrote:@EvilDragon
Have you seen inside pictures of 16 voice one? It has *surprise* 4 voice boards that look almost identical to minilogue one. So why it's not Minilogue filter?

:hyper:
a single board 4 voice Minilogue2 looks highly possible then.
However lack of a 24db mode for the filter means it won't be a jack of all trades as the Minilogue was.
A Minilogue2 for pads + Behringer Model D for bass would be one hell of a cheap setup.

Very interesting release, Korg. Not necessarily perfect, but extremely interesting. In fact, any controversy about its shortcomings might somehow make it more fascinating... at least to read about. Thanks Korg for kicking off NAMM with a BAM! Think of it like this maybe- it’s a win/win situation. Either you love it and buy it; or you don’t and save a pile of cash.

I admit that that the whole “1 LFO/omission of mod sequencer” was a bucket of cold water that I’m still drying off from. But some of those demos are pulling and weakening me like a Kyptonite tracktor beam! :D

:?: Imaginary scenario: Due to a combination of synth expertise, luck, and perhaps having some compromising photos, Korg’s excellent former head designer Tatsuya (before leaving the company) appointed YOU to be supervisor of the top-secret Prologue operation. Imagine that all is going well building a successor to the Minilogue. The team is in accord with the synth design, except for one critical point: there is “space” for either only the modulation and step-sequencer OR a new digital/FM/user wave 3rd Oscillator. YOU have to make the final call. Which of the two would you choose? And why?

all head-scratcher ommissions will be addressed in the Korg Epilogue .... coming in the next couple years.

david.beholder wrote:
Daags wrote:

What the "test" more accurately shows is that the methodology is completely unscientific and conceptually flawed.

Anyone that attempts to use demos or ABX tests as anything other than a jumping off point does so at their own risk. Too much influence lies in the hands of people posting the test/demo.

Those people almost always have an agenda - either to sell stuff or to whip up controversy and interest in their thread.

There are soooo many iterations of the same thing. There was a similar thread comparing the Blofeld with a Roland Juno of some kind a few years ago. Lots of people couldn't tell the difference.

I have a Blofeld and previously had a Juno 106. They are both great synths no doubt. No one who actually has the synths in question would mistake the 2 in use because they are completely different synths with different strengths in use.

Yes, it's possible to make a bunch of sounds where it's very difficult to distinguish between them, but what ultimately is the point? To win a childish and pointless argument on a forum?

tehlord wrote:The Reverb demo shows the rear connectors and it looks like it's Minilogue build quality, which was about 'sufficient'. The front panel looks just as plasticky as the other 'logues' too.
Minilogue build quality is great. My Monologue fell off my stand on stage and bounced twice on the floor of the stage and all it got was a tiny scratch on the underside. It still played perfectly. And whilst "the logues" may look plasticky, their front panels are made from aluminium.
New filter is a massive improvement over the smaller 'logues' though, but it can't really have been any worse......
Have you played it? If you're relying on YouTube videos, you can't possibly know what it's like.
I think it should be closer to Deepmind money than REV2 money, although the digital side is interesting, and they have at least thrown some polyphony at it.
Nobody does stuff as cheap as Behringer, that's their thing. This looks way better than Deepmind, though.
And seriously, how much would it add to bottom line to include a freakin' midi THRU :dog:
I'd have prefered if they included the Monologue's motion sequencer, only with 16 buttons instead of eight. There is plenty of room for it and, with only one LFO, it would improve things a lot.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Damn. The more i listen to it the more i want it :)
I Was on the fence until i discovered the Andertons demo of it.

It has only 1.lfo and no motion sequencer but i do have 2 5 fingered lfo's extra and a sequencer so it doesn't matter that much to me.
The most important thing for me is the sound and it sounds good.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”