Patchwork and controller surface for the plugins?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like the idea having a bunch of plugins in a container. But for tweaking them, can I control them via controllers as I am used to do this with plugins as inserts?
E.g. I have an EQ as Insert, I can tweak the parameters via Faderport8. But with Patchwork as an Insert and the EQ inside, I guess Patchwork won't map the parameters to Faderport8 correctly. Right or wrong?

Short answer: yes. Once you load a plugin into the slot, use the Params Map menu.

I'll copy/paste that section from the manual:

The "Params Map" item in the plug- in menu lets you map sub plug- in parameters so that they can be automated or controlled with an
external control surface. It also lets you view existing mapping for this plug- in if any

-Map All Params: assign all parameters of this plug- in to remaining controls (in the same order as exposed by the plug- in). The
maximum number of parameters that can be mapped is 40.
-Learn Mode (on/ off): when learn mode is on, touching a control in your plug- in's user interface will automatically add it to the
parameters map (if the plug- in supports it). Once you are done with parameters assignment, you may want to disable learn
mode to avoid mapping unwanted parameters.
-Reset All Assignments: removes all assigned parameters from the params map, for this plug- in. This frees all controls used by
previously assigned parameters (for this plug- in only).
-All parameters available for assignment are then displayed in the menu. Clicking on a parameter toggles mapping on or off.
When a parameter is mapped, the name of the external control (as displayed in the host application) appears next to it, inside
parentheses.
-Parameters Mapping works the following way: 40 parameters are available for mapping in Blue Cat's PatchWork. They are named
"Control 01" to "Control 40". When a sub plug- in parameter is selected for mapping, the first control available within Blue Cat's
-PatchWork is used. Once mapped, the sub plug- in parameter and this control are linked together, so that any change to either of
them is reported to the other.

This enables the sub- plug- in to expose its parameters to the outside of the PatchWork plug- in. You can for example use these
external controls for automation, MIDI control , control surface assignment etc.
If assigned controls are shown in Blue Cat's PatchWork ("Show Assigned Controls" button), new knobs will appear when new
parameters are mapped, until the maximum number of 40 controls is reached. You can use these knobs to control the parameters or
check their names (the name of the mapped parameter is displayed when the mouse is over the knob).

As Tappistry explained, you can indeed map sub plug-ins parameters to PatchWork assignable controls. These controls have the same MIDI and automation capabilities as all Blue Cat Audio plug-ins parameters, so you should be able to use your Faderport8 to control them.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”