Do You Produce Music for Fun or Professionally?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:
STi_NJ wrote:I produce as a hobby more than anything. It used to be a lot of fun, and sort of still is, but I find myself wondering sometimes lately why I put in all the effort to complete and mix tracks that a couple friends might listen to once or twice. I suppose I've got to stop thinking about it like that and just have fun. After all, what got me started years back was fiddling around with knobs on a vintage Minimoog my Uncle had.

Why do you guys do it - if not for money?
Yes, at the end of the day we do things for the acknowledgement of others. Without others I don't even know whether what I do is crap or not.
I suppose that explains why I no longer feel like opening my DAW most of the time, it has become more of a ritual rather than something I like to do. Maybe I am approaching the point where I can admit to myself that making music is a waste of time in my case, and move on and do something that makes more sense, maybe even benefits others.
I know exactly what are you talking about and one of the reasons I got back to making music is friends who believe in me and even causes I can support (for example do music for a documentary about something I feel strong about), but messing with music is actually taking my time from helping others, which I did before, just visit someone who is lonely and sit there and listen to him, volunteer, feels awesome, better than making music, better than having sex, helping people feels like real love, thing I do here on internet is same, sure I troll from time to time, but as many of you I'm here to help out. So yeah, go for it, leave music behind and try something more meaningful. :hug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:I know exactly what are you talking about and one of the reasons I got back to making music is friends who believe in me and even causes I can support (for example do music for a documentary about something I feel strong about), but messing with music is actually taking my time from helping others, which I did before, just visit someone who is lonely and sit there and listen to him, volunteer, feels awesome, better than making music, better than having sex, helping people feels like real love, thing I do here on internet is same, sure I troll from time to time, but as many of you I'm here to help out. So yeah, go for it, leave music behind and try something more meaningful. :hug:
It is a big step to take, a final and thus melancholic step due to my age. There is no point postponing things anymore, I have tried 'now or never' for a few years now, without noteworthy results. I surely won't get back into it at 60+ 8)

One of my biggest problems has been that I have no new message I could sing about. And dance music as such becomes a bit silly at a certain age.

Zexila wrote:I know exactly what are you talking about and one of the reasons I got back to making music is friends who believe in me and even causes I can support (for example do music for a documentary about something I feel strong about), but messing with music is actually taking my time from helping others, which I did before, just visit someone who is lonely and sit there and listen to him, volunteer, feels awesome, better than making music, better than having sex, helping people feels like real love, thing I do here on internet is same, sure I troll from time to time, but as many of you I'm here to help out. So yeah, go for it, leave music behind and try something more meaningful. :hug:

One of my biggest problems has been that I have no new message I could sing about. And dance music as such becomes a bit silly at a certain age.
while my dancing has always been a bit silly there's a bit of comedic freedom that comes along after a certain age :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'd like to produce a lot, but it doesn't come that easilly.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Hink wrote:

while my dancing has always been a bit silly there's a bit of comedic freedom that comes along after a certain age :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vgX0miTvEQ

:hihi: midnight rambler?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote::hihi: midnight rambler?
He probably needs to go to bed before 10 these days. Then again, he had another kid recently - the dirty old man. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote:
Hink wrote::hihi: midnight rambler?
He probably needs to go to bed before 10 these days. Then again, he had another kid recently - the dirty old man. :hihi:
:lol: me thinks Mick hangs out here and learned that dance from you. Kieth seems to have other ideas about sleep
"Nine days without a wink," he bragged. "I fell asleep standing up, eventually ... I was just putting another cassette back on the shelf, and I was feeling great, and I turned 'round and fell asleep. I fell against the edge of the speaker. Woke up in a pool of blood, wondering, 'Is that claret?'"
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/list ... 2-20150916
by the way that is a great article about ol' Kieth (and I'm 99% sure of the song)

Both.

I work in the toy industry and have done session direction, voice overs, sound design, and music production for quite a few popular toys.

Did a collab with Pete Townshend on a yet unreleased piece. Have had a number of other pieces in indie film and random video games.

I don't do as much of it now, we have an amazing composer/sound designer at my current company who handles content for most all our product lines and as I'm the R&D Director most of my time goes towards inventing things rather than writing music.
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

off topic : you need to invent a toy that teaches kids to listen to me when i tell them to "stop it!".

There used to be decent money recording local rappers. Most often, they'd come over with a beat already, and really just needed a space with some microphones, a limiter, a couch or two for their squad, someone to comp their takes, and a very liberal smoking policy.

One kid stole the toothpaste out of my bathroom though. Twice.

the whole tube? the bastard!

tube and a half, really :shrug:

I didn't quite figure it out til the second time it happened.

He's serious about his mouth hygiene. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

funky lime wrote:tube and a half, really :shrug:

I didn't quite figure it out til the second time it happened.
Veering completely away....a drug addict in the pub next to my work once tried to sell me a used razor, half a bottle of shampoo, a Whitney Houston cassette single :scared: ...and an opened tube of toothpaste. I politely (ok I told him to f**k off) declined. Must be a market for this stuff though. :help:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”