halion sonic 3 on sale - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HALion 7 HALion Sonic 7 Collection

poshook wrote:
Where you found the info that HS3 uses Motif XF sounds? I have tested it and to me HS3 is nowhere near to Motif XF in terms of acoustic sounds. GUitars, strings, brass are old samples from Motif/MotifES.
Are you using Halion Sonic 3 or Halion Sonic SE 3? It's HS SE 3 that uses the samples from the original Motif. The acoustic guitars in the full version of Halion Sonic for example are updated higher quality versions of the Hypersonic 1 and 2 guitars, not Yamaha samples. The same goes to most sounds.

If you're hearing anything from the original Motif or Motif ES, these are definitely presets from HS SE. Keep in mind that Halion Sonic 3 will also load instruments from HS SE 3 if they're present, you have to filter them out for them to not show up.

BBFG# wrote:
bill45 wrote:Is anyone using Halion sonic 3 on windows 7?
I don't think it is officially supported
I have it installed on my Win 7 machine and use it without issue.
Great thanks. I think I will upgrade To HS 3

Romantique Tp wrote:
poshook wrote:
Where you found the info that HS3 uses Motif XF sounds? I have tested it and to me HS3 is nowhere near to Motif XF in terms of acoustic sounds. GUitars, strings, brass are old samples from Motif/MotifES.
Are you using Halion Sonic 3 or Halion Sonic SE 3? It's HS SE 3 that uses the samples from the original Motif. The acoustic guitars in the full version of Halion Sonic for example are updated higher quality versions of the Hypersonic 1 and 2 guitars, not Yamaha samples. The same goes to most sounds.

If you're hearing anything from the original Motif or Motif ES, these are definitely presets from HS SE. Keep in mind that Halion Sonic 3 will also load instruments from HS SE 3 if they're present, you have to filter them out for them to not show up.
I am testing Full version of HS3 for sure. However it is a pity as the acoustic sounds sound funny and nowhere near to MotifXS/XF/Tyros2-5 quality and quantity. Most of the acoustic samples from HS3 FUll are a bad joke in 2018. From 30GB library I was expecting much more. Even solo instruments in Studio strings sound like made in 1987. Sad to say that...

poshook wrote: I am testing Full version of HS3 for sure. However it is a pity as the acoustic sounds sound funny and nowhere near to MotifXS/XF/Tyros2-5 quality and quantity. Most of the acoustic samples from HS3 FUll are a bad joke in 2018. From 30GB library I was expecting much more. Even solo instruments in Studio strings sound like made in 1987. Sad to say that...
I think you're crazy if you think that the base samples sound better than the ones in Halion Sonic. Anyone with Cubase Pro can test this: The presets labelled with "VX" use samples that were also included with the Motif XS, XF and the Tyros (also as MegaVoices). These are supposed to be among the best Yamaha samples available at the time (~2010), but they, at best, sound DIFFERENT from the ones included with Halion Sonic, not better. The Yamaha acoustic bass is the same as Halion Sonic and HS includes a version of this same brass section with more samples and articulations.

The Hypersonic and Motif stuff is part of the "HS Factory" library. Of course there are more Yamaha samples besides the ones I mentioned like the strings ensemble. The other factory libraries use samples from other sources.

I'm a heavy hardware user, I own and have rented synths from several manufacturers, and while I agree that Yamaha has made good samples of many instruments, I'm actually glad that this isn't just a software Motif XF because the Motif sample library as a whole is nowhere as great as some people seem to believe. Several samples sound worse than 90s and early 2000s hardware.

Romantique Tp wrote:
poshook wrote: I am testing Full version of HS3 for sure. However it is a pity as the acoustic sounds sound funny and nowhere near to MotifXS/XF/Tyros2-5 quality and quantity. Most of the acoustic samples from HS3 FUll are a bad joke in 2018. From 30GB library I was expecting much more. Even solo instruments in Studio strings sound like made in 1987. Sad to say that...
I think you're crazy if you think that the base samples sound better than the ones in Halion Sonic. Anyone with Cubase Pro can test this: The presets labelled with "VX" use samples that were also included with the Motif XS, XF and the Tyros (also as MegaVoices). These are supposed to be among the best Yamaha samples available at the time (~2010), but they, at best, sound DIFFERENT from the ones included with Halion Sonic, not better. The Yamaha acoustic bass is the same as Halion Sonic and HS includes a version of this same brass section with more samples and articulations.

The Hypersonic and Motif stuff is part of the "HS Factory" library. Of course there are more Yamaha samples besides the ones I mentioned like the strings ensemble. The other factory libraries use samples from other sources.

I'm a heavy hardware user, I own and have rented synths from several manufacturers, and while I agree that Yamaha has made good samples of many instruments, I'm actually glad that this isn't just a software Motif XF because the Motif sample library as a whole is nowhere as great as some people seem to believe. Several samples sound worse than 90s and early 2000s hardware.
Hi man, what VX sounds you are talking about? I know Motif XF very well as well as Tyros4, There are many Mega Voices but also many Super Articulation voices which are totally missing in HS3. Special Brass module in HS3 is really funny in direct comparison. I found Bass, Guitar, Brass, Woodwinds, Solo strings really funny.

poshook wrote: ....Hi man, what VX sounds you are talking about? I know Motif XF very well as well as Tyros4, There are many Mega Voices but also many Super Articulation voices which are totally missing in HS3. Special Brass module in HS3 is really funny in direct comparison. I found Bass, Guitar, Brass, Woodwinds, Solo strings really funny.
I guess you must be a really funny guy.

I upgraded.Appaently you must install the full version of HS3.
I installed the update.Launced the stand along."plugin not found Reinstall".
Downloading the full version now.

poshook wrote: Hi man, what VX sounds you are talking about? I know Motif XF very well as well as Tyros4, There are many Mega Voices but also many Super Articulation voices which are totally missing in HS3. Special Brass module in HS3 is really funny in direct comparison. I found Bass, Guitar, Brass, Woodwinds, Solo strings really funny.
The VX sounds are included with Cubase Pro... like I said in the same sentence.

Halion 6 has Super Articulation-style presets to demonstrate the MegaTrig feature, and it's capable of much more complex articulation handling than any Yamaha keyboard if you use Lua scripting. Both can be used in Halion Sonic presets exported from Halion 6, the HS factory content just doesn't use it (yet) because there was no easy way for the users to control this stuff, since macro pages didn't exist back when the older presets were originally programmed (2009-2010).

Something that really is quite funny is how much paying $2000-$6000 for a keyboard can blind some people. :roll:

Return to “Instruments”