!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote:Anniversary Celebration!
On This Day in 2012....
the first !Epoch thread was started!

:smack: :band: :harp: :clap: :violin: :bang: :band2:
Somethjng to overide the sickeningly commercial Valentines Day, thankyou :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Any pics of the mono and poly step sequencer?

I hope you can step through the steps with the right/left arrow keys and change pitch with up/down arrow. Would be nice if you could activate any of the steps by just going over with the mouse and record in a note with a midi keyboard or change it with the arrow keys. If its not there dont bother until maybe an update.

@ colin .
Care to upload a small video of epoch doing it's magic ?

Edit ,epoch is called 'architect ' now ?
So that's the third name change before it's even released ...? :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

@mooneh
Sure. The only visual tweak probably worth noting since the last time I posted is that the loops now work differently, in that they can wrap around the last step and first steps. Behind the scenes though there have been a lot of transport improvements and fixes on these, though: a couple more direction modes, reverse alternate, and reverse pendulum, that mirror the current alternate and pendulum, but backwards; and much needed flexibility when it comes to setting the current playing step via inlet modulation.

@gentleclockdivider
I've not got video capture set up on any of my machines, but I will look into re-installing said software when I get a gap. Anything in particular you want to see a video of, or would just me noodling around and creating something from scratch be fine?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Not sure why I grabbed a screenshot that honed in so tightly on the piano roll, but you can also zoom the note editors right out, obviously!
The hilighted area, defined by the blue shade, is both for non-step editing (ie, editing multiple steps at once), as well as defining the region in which to apply the transform. Transforms perform various edits such as reverse, generate shapes or patterns, invert, shuffle, shift, roll, etc.

And someone asked before what some of the bottom rows actually mean. Factor is integer division or multiplication of the step length, whilst speed is percent based, going from 0% - the note lasts forever, to 200%, playing at half-speed. Between these two rows, you can create really interesting note subdivisions.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

:tu:

I'd be up for the noodling video :-)
I'm most interested in how the workflow is laid out between using the different views, tools and nodes.
Showing how to build something from scratch would be good.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

colin@loomer wrote:Not sure why I grabbed a screenshot that honed in so tightly on the piano roll, but you can also zoom the note editors right out, obviously!
The hilighted area, defined by the blue shade, is both for non-step editing (ie, editing multiple steps at once), as well as defining the region in which to apply the transform. Transforms perform various edits such as reverse, generate shapes or patterns, invert, shuffle, shift, roll, etc.

And someone asked before what some of the bottom rows actually mean. Factor is integer division or multiplication of the step length, whilst speed is percent based, going from 0% - the note lasts forever, to 200%, playing at half-speed. Between these two rows, you can create really interesting note subdivisions.
Thanks looks great

colin@loomer wrote:

@gentleclockdivider
I've not got video capture set up on any of my machines, but I will look into re-installing said software when I get a gap. Anything in particular you want to see a video of, or would just me noodling around and creating something from scratch be fine?

Would love to see some polymeter and polyrytm .stuff .
Couple of sequences bass , chord pad and bit of rhytm .

I love the interface ,looks a lot like reaktor ( edit view ) ,which I can only applaude ...hope that N.I. won't give you any trouble .
Ooohhh..and please ....about the zoom ...make it so that we can zoom in out with a vertical/horizontal mouse drag , like cubase / reaper etc...
Nothing worse than zoom +/- buttons at the corner of the screen ...it kills the workflow
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Ooohhh..and please ....about the zoom ...make it so that we can zoom in out with a vertical/horizontal mouse drag , like cubase / reaper etc...
Nothing worse than zoom +/- buttons at the corner of the screen ...it kills the workflow
Tell me about it! I did have fiddly little - and + buttons in an earlier revision, and boy did it slow things down. Now you zoom in vertically by dragging the piano roll left or right, and horizontally by dragging the ruler up or down. It feels great, and is lightning fast.

Colin , could you have a look at the old seq. program called seq 24 .
It's kinda of a clip launcher ( not really ) , it's let's you mute the midi output of the played clip
Might give you some ideas
http://www.filter24.org/seq24/
Eyeball exchanging

Thanks. I am aware of seq 24 already, but it's always good to hear of other interpretations of similar ideas.

Will architect/epoch suitable for live use ?
If so , how is this implemented , clip launch , a playlist ?
Eyeball exchanging

Yes to all the above. You can do clip launching from the UI, or from any controller device, or from the computer keyboard, etc. Or you can programatically clip launch using the modular inlets, launching clips by aleatoric or generative processes. Or you can sequence linearly on the timeline. This is set per sequencer, so you can have some of them playing manually, some arranged on the timeline, and what-not. There are also various launch modes, such as "toggle" - the clip will toggle between on and off when it receives an event; "gate" - the clip will only play whilst the event is sustained, "one-shot", "one-step", "restart", etc.

By default, a newly created sequencer is in "auto" mode*, which self launches, synced to the master clock and based on the sequencer's launch quantisation setting, and plays repeatedly. You can change this to "play" if you'd prefer to manually play the clip using per-clip controls on the UI; "timeline" if you want to arrange it along the timeline; or "modulate" if you want to sequence entirely using the modulation inlets.

* Apart from sequencers created directly on the timeline, which will automatically be in "timeline" mode.

Sounds great .
Now ..let's start the Alpha testing phase .
I volunteer :)
Eyeball exchanging

colin@loomer wrote:@mooneh
Sure. The only visual tweak probably worth noting since the last time I posted is that the loops now work differently, in that they can wrap around the last step and first steps. Behind the scenes though there have been a lot of transport improvements and fixes on these, though: a couple more direction modes, reverse alternate, and reverse pendulum, that mirror the current alternate and pendulum, but backwards; and much needed flexibility when it comes to setting the current playing step via inlet modulation.

@gentleclockdivider
Looks great. Will the GUI support scaling on hiDPI screens?

Return to “Loomer”