U-he VST Wrapper for sound designers (Discussion Question)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am working on U-he Combinators for Reason. (Search, it's down the thread a bit) Which is working out fine so far.

Reason has its limits, and I started thinking about how to possibly generalize the concept to be DAW independent, which led me to the idea of a VST wrapper.

The purpose is to combine one of the main synthesizers, with Uhbik, Satin, Presswerk, Filterscape, zRev, Zebrify etc... For now specifically Uhbik. Into a contained rack structure with internal signal and modulation routing; with a few tools like an envelop, LFO and arp / sequencer to a portable patch. Not unlike how the sound toys rack, a Reason combinator or Omnisphere operates.

This would require the end user to have the requisite effects and synthesizers and it is unknown how well that will be received. It would explode the sound design possibilities for portable patch sets. It would also have to be free, and possibly in line with the vision of 'Berlin Modular'.

The structure of how this software would work is not inventing anything new.

Questions: (So far)

- I think this could be done without exposing U-he code, does that sound correct?
- Could this be a community supported or open source project?
- Does the EULA prevent this?

The goal here is achieve the result without distracting the U-he development Jira pipe unless you guys have time.. (An example that came up on the Facebook group was a comb filter for Hive, which could be done with Uhbik-F, Uhbik-P and Satin)

Thoughts?
Last edited by dlarseninclusive on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Papen has something similar for his plugins.....

https://www.robpapen.com/prisma.html
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dlarseninclusive wrote:I am working on U-he Combinators for Reason. (Search, it's down the thread a bit) Which is working out fine so far.

Reason has its limits, and I started thinking about how to possibly generalize the concept to be DAW independent, which led me to the idea of a VST wrapper.

The purpose is to combine one of the main synthesizers, with Uhbik, Satin, Presswerk, Filterscape, zRev, Zebrify etc... For now specifically Uhbik. Into a contained rack structure with internal signal and modulation routing; with a few tools like an envelop, LFO and arp / sequencer to a portable patch. Not unlike how the sound toys rack, a Reason combinator or Omnisphere operates.

This would require the end user to have the requisite effects and synthesizers and it is unknown how well that will be received. It would explode the sound design possibilities for portable patch sets. It would also have to be free, and possibly in line with the vision of 'Berlin Modular'.

The structure of how this software would work is not inventing anything new.

Questions: (So far)

- I think this could be done without exposing U-he code, does that sound correct?
- Could this be a community supported or open source project?
- Does the EULA prevent this?

The goal here is achieve the result without distracting the U-he development Jira pipe unless you guys have time.. (An example that came up on the Facebook group was a comb filter for Hive, which could be done with Uhbik-F, Uhbik-P and Satin)

Thoughts?
This is all possible in NI Kore 2 (RIP) - that's exactly what it was made to do

Something like Freestyle or Mux would do a similar ish job these days (not quite as powerful perhaps)

This is the closest thing I have found so far... But no Uhbik, and seems like it's not quite there yet.

http://www.bigtickaudio.com/zen/about-zen

No Zen doesn't have free routing or the ability to save multis - the ones I mentioned do

Kore 2 does not really help, and the other two are not free. The whole point is to distribute a patch set to end users. Nobody will do it if they have to buy another plugin just to use the ones they have. At least I would pass over a patch set with a requirement like that.

dlarseninclusive wrote:Kore 2 does not really help, and the other two are not free. The whole point is to distribute a patch set to end users. Nobody will do it if they have to buy another plugin just to use the ones they have. At least I would pass over a patch set with a requirement like that.
The more plugins you add to the chain, the smaller set of people that will have them and would want that patch set.

Anyway, I would not want u-he to spend precious development resources on such a project which would inevitably end up taking a lot of time. I also think it has a minimal usefulness. For example, I prefer to use my DAW to make and save such device chains.

pdxindy wrote:
The more plugins you add to the chain, the smaller set of people that will have them and would want that patch set.

Anyway, I would not want u-he to spend precious development resources on such a project which would inevitably end up taking a lot of time. I also think it has a minimal usefulness. For example, I prefer to use my DAW to make and save such device chains.
For my own uses i agree with all of that, and nobody is asking U-he to do anything. I would like to replicate the Reason combinators I have been working on to support more platforms, which is the value I see in it. Currently I am only using one synthesizer and Uhbik which is as far as I would want to go until I can gauge if this idea works at all. Like you said the potential user base gets divided by the number of plugins you add. I get it. And it may be a bad idea, I understand that is possible too.
Last edited by dlarseninclusive on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

*duplicate post*

aMUSEd wrote:No Zen doesn't have free routing or the ability to save multis - the ones I mentioned do
Hey, man. Sorry that response was a little abrupt. It was late and I was meaning to be to the point, but came off like kinda a jerk. Sorry about that.

Interesting concept, I've thought of doing something similar for Valhalla products, like a "meta-browser" with EQ, compression, saturation and searching by perceptual qualities, perhaps using the Semantic Audio API.

Winstontaneous wrote:Interesting concept, I've thought of doing something similar for Valhalla products, like a "meta-browser" with EQ, compression, saturation and searching by perceptual qualities, perhaps using the Semantic Audio API.
Thanks I will take a look.

One of my dev buddies dug up a few possibilities too.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms

This one looks like something that could possibly be forked.

Have you looked at VSTHost?

P&M Chainer:

http://www.plugandmix.com/products/p1888-Chainer/

If you have FL Studio then Patcher would be a good solution.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Aerithos wrote:Have you looked at VSTHost?

That one is on the review list. Thanks!

Return to “u-he”