good mixing limiter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jbarish wrote:I believe there's still a free version of Limiter 6 which would be hard to beat at that price.
Yeah, the VladG version is free. the TDR version is the paid one.

Apratim wrote:Why not first make with a limiter on on the master at 0db celling
Then lower the the level of each track equally say 10db.. some random hedroom will be created in the master say -6db
Later use LP multiband limiting
yes this is a good workflow. but there is no one ideal workflow - we all have our preferences and what jives with our individual brains. anything goes. what it sounds like is what matters.

Sometimes I will use a limter I know has character on a track to give it that limited sound plus some vibe. Some limters are better for this than others. I dont use transparent sounding limiters on tracks for this purpose, but rather limiters like the LVCs. LVC also allows control of the character of the limiter which is pretty cool.

pabloaldunate wrote:DMG Track Limit
Also DMG Limitless
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Barricade and fab filter Pro l 2 near invisible if not pushed.

TB Barricade shill here 8)

I don't ask too much from limiters. I use (usually soft) clipping more effectively for managing levels and controlling the dynamics of individual tracks or buses. Both on its own, and in conjunction with a limiter where appropriate. Sometimes several stages of soft clipping at different points in the chain. Little overhead, does the job with no nonsense.

I myself spent a while looking for good tracking limiters, and realised it was these other techniques I was neglecting. The limiter I already had was fine. I was simply expecting too much from it, & not preparing the signal for limiting using other processes.

audiosabre wrote:TB Barricade shill here 8)

I don't ask too much from limiters. I use (usually soft) clipping more effectively for managing levels and controlling the dynamics of individual tracks or buses. Both on its own, and in conjunction with a limiter where appropriate. Sometimes several stages of soft clipping at different points in the chain. Little overhead, does the job with no nonsense.

I myself spent a while looking for good tracking limiters, and realised it was these other techniques I was neglecting. The limiter I already had was fine. I was simply expecting too much from it, & not preparing the signal for limiting using other processes.
Yep!

The Long Version aka TL;DR
Sometimes I put a limiter on the track to get the character of the limiter on it. so of course transparent limiters are that useful for this. analogue emulations are usually good for this or limiters designed for character. the other use of a track limiter is in a sense the same as on a mix or master buss - to manipulate loudness - but on a per-track basis - if i have a track that I want louder with less dynamic range, i will also use a track limiter and in this case a transparent one can be useful. but if you are just using a track limiter as an easy way to fix problems rather than fix them at the source, you'll inadvertently get limiter artifacts on the track which may not sound good.

Return to “Effects”